Was Ocon to Blame for Verstappen Accident?

I think it's a very unusual situation (a lapped car being fast enough to try to get his lap back) and so it's an interesting dynamic at play...but I gotta slap Ocon's wrist on this one.

When Max saw Ocon's intent to make the pass, I think he could have opted to let him go...but, as race leader, he was under no obligation to do so and I think it would have been seen as a very passive move (especially for an aggressive driver like Max).

Now, flipping to Ocon's perspective in the next corner, it would have been very clear to him at that point that Max (unsurprisingly) had no intent of letting him just have his lap back. Max had also nosed past him...at that point as a lapped car against the leader of the race, sorry Ocon: you gotta back out, dude.

If they had been fighting for position, I may have been more inclined to go with "racing incident" but, given Ocon was a lap down, I think Max had a very reasonable expectation that he wouldn't be lurking in his blind spot.

Max is the leader in the race and Ocon received the blue flag
There was no blue flags because Ocon was coming for overtake with fresh super soft tyres and much better pace. He had all rights to go for unlap. After he wasn't able to do it in T1 maybe he should have gave up before T2 and try again next DRS straight. Also Max could have let him pass without any time loss and take easy win. Well we all saw what happen...

Ocon was to blame for it because he impeded the lead driver and he should get a hefty penalty for this, but after the race I heard there may have been a boxing match between Ocon and Verstappen....

While it's rare in F1 that drivers try and get laps back, it's common in many other motorsport-series. Somehow F1 just has many "odd" traits.

In my opinion Ocon is 100% at fault for the accident. That being said, I had to chuckle a bit when it happened. Verstappen is a bit of arse in my opinion, so I wasn't sorry to see it happen to him.

There was no blue flags because Ocon was coming for overtake with fresh super soft tyres and much better pace. He had all rights to go for unlap. After he wasn't able to do it in T1 maybe he should have gave up before T2 and try again next DRS straight. Also Max could have let him pass without any time loss and take easy win. Well we all saw what happen...

If you are the leader in the race no doubt stay away.... Max has all right

Max fanboy asks after the race an autograph

Max Esteban.jpg

What Ocon did was the biggest no no in motorsports. But on the other hand Verstappen knew Ocon was on the inside so giving him a bit more room wouldn’t hurt Verstappens race. What I’m trying to get across is that by squeezing Ocon, although he had every right to do so, made him vulnerable.

I just can't seem to give Verstappen the benefit in any case since he's set the precedent for himself that he has so far in his career. He's an overly emotional hothead who seems to have difficulty controlling himself and his emotions on track. He needs to grow up over the break and learn to keep himself in check because just being fast isn't enough in this sport.

Emotion? Did you see the Maxico GP after the qualify. He turn it on a good result :thumbsup:

Lewis Hamilton - "You make sure there’s space".
Sound advice from a five time World Drivers' Champion - I like it, I like it a lot.

Lewis have every season the best car... not much wheel to wheel fights for him. I hope next year Max has a realy good car. Max is not afraid for Lewis. He is ready!

According to the rules, if a driver have been lapped but it is faster than a non-lapped driver you can unlap yourself, what Ocon was doing is legal and Max should have allowed it, not keep fighting

• Deleted member 113561

It seems like Ocon was on fresher tires, faster and wanted to unlap himself. You can't blame Ocon for that, he has the right to do that.

But Verstappen was stupid for just turning in when there was a car there.
To finish first, you must first finish.
We saw plenty of such moves in the past from him and we also saw stupid stuff like this (turning into another car) can lose you a championship (Vettel).

Then you saw Verstappen giving the finger, insulting, threatening and even assaulting Ocon.
This is a big no go, this should be hard penalized, this is not okay, immature and very unprofessional. Stewards already called them in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back