VR is Coming to Assetto Corsa Competizione this October..

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Competizione 1.jpg

Launching to Early Access this September 12th, Kunos Simulazioni have laid down their development release schedule for ACC over the coming months...

So that's it then, VR confirmed! With the initial release of ACC on Steam Early Access scheduled for September 12th set to contain a limited selection of content and features, Kunos have confirmed the following months will see a gradual monthly update to the simulation, adding more cars, tracks, features and content to the sim until it reaches an eventual version 1 launch sometime around the first quarter of 2019.

So back to VR then... well many people have questioned if ACC will follow on from the original Assetto Corsa and come with VR support in the new title, functionality that is natively supported in Unreal 4, and it now looks like the answer is yes.. but not for initial launch in September.. VR coming as part of the second patch on October 10th... which is good news indeed for Virtual Reality fans...

You can check out the initial release calendar below:

ACC Release Roadmap .jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione will release on Steam Early Access this September 12th.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting upcoming sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Assetto Corsa Competizione 2.jpg

Happy to see the proposed progress of ACC? Pleased VR will be coming sooner rather than later? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Just my personal experience, but I went from triple monitor to using my Rift for races and find it an order of magnitude better. Being able to look into the corners properly and be able to more easily get a feel for where people are around you is really helpful come race time.

It's certainly not essential (and is certainly not perfect), but I find it does improve the experience by a significant margin and bring a different level of immersion.
Along with being able to properly look into a turn being able to look out of a turn once the apex is lined up is great []>》

• Deleted member 197115

Sometimes I wonder if new HMDs are even coming.
Outside of the very few racing titles the state of VR gaming is pretty sad.

Seems like most companies are looking at mobile VR at the moment.

Any solid rumors on a horizon?

Sometimes I wonder if new HMDs are even coming.
Outside of the very few racing titles the state of VR gaming is pretty sad.

Seems like most companies are looking at mobile VR at the moment.

Any solid rumors on a horizon?
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-half-dome-prototype-dont-expect-see-everything-product-anytime-soon/ some stuff about rift prototype
also some new trademarks from nvidia, samsung etc and a lot more

Dont spread negativity and misinformation :rolleyes: VR/AR is fine and will only get bigger and better

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

That was the old news and I do not spread anything, just assessing the current market status and my own experience with VR.
I just don't see any progress being made in the 3+ years since CV1 release.
And I was referring mostly to gaming industry, where are AAA worth VR titles?
We only have small studios that add VR support to at least somehow push their junk to the market.
Sim racing titles are doing fine, this is where VR really works, but considering how niche they are, do they really have the momentum to move the industry.
We have 1.6K average active AC players, and what percentage of them has VR. That's not even drop in the ocean.
Skyrim VR, one of the biggest and successful VR titles.
Check the stats
https://steamcharts.com/app/611670
190 average players. Pathetic, really. No wonder big studios like Bethesda and Codemaster who initially supported VR by porting their titles, turned their backs on it now.

Add to this segmentation of already small market segment, with Oculus pushing Rift only exclusive titles and still in Beta, buggy WMR integration with Steam with poor controllers support.
Even Vive Pro controllers support is broken at the moment.

But yeah, I am just as hopeful and enthusiastic as you are, it's just hard to keep high spirit seeing that data.

Last edited by a moderator:
short version: give them time

long: 3+ years since cv1 release? you live in april+ 2019? I guess thats why its old news for you. A lot of successful smaller games, not much time for full games for how long vr is out (cv) and no point with aaa with such small base. Thing is growing, im happy with current titles and with more times you will see some AAA stuff, theres no point in worrying.

IMO i wouldnt want some rly long, title you have to invest a lot of time etc(lets say witcher vr or any other aaa) for current vr with low res and cubersome hmd. I always wonder if those guys who ask about full aaa games for vr before buying, if they know what they ask for :p There are a lot of fun experiences on psvr and rift, i think they hit the spot for what we have now (cost of development/game scope/tech).
Cant wait too see those 3 valve titles in development and their knuckles controllers properly used with good game design

PS Skyrim is **** :D

More people are playing right now beat sabre than all racing sims combined in vr, so i guess non racing vr game are fine. Maybe looking at Skyrim was the problem

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

I have been looking for a solid title with good campaign where you can sink you teeth in for a good amount of quality time. Not "Wack a mole" for an hour kind of experience.
Fallout4 VR, Arizona Sunshine, Skyrim VR, Doom VFR they all have 100 or under active users.
What else is there, are there any other big titles I have missed that all VR users play?

In time, VR will make 3D games/ movies and the like obsolete. You can already go to a few VR theaters, even have a rollercoaster in Copenhagen here with added VR and I saw several VR rides at Disney. Games is far from the only selling point for VR, it's used for educational in professional inviroments, artistic as well as technical development too. Institutions that have far more resources than the avarage bunch of VR simracers.
When the hardware is there, fueled by the combined VR demand, the games will come.

Yep you got me, had a long day yesterday lol

Happens to the best of us :D

Must be the heat :x3:

Although, getting new OLED screens for the Rift as an official DIY upgrade for $50 would be awesome :D

That would be pretty awesome, actually.

In time, VR will make 3D games/ movies and the like obsolete. You can already go to a few VR theaters, even have a rollercoaster in Copenhagen here with added VR and I saw several VR rides at Disney. Games is far from the only selling point for VR, it's used for educational in professional inviroments, artistic as well as technical development too. Institutions that have far more resources than the avarage bunch of VR simracers.
When the hardware is there, fueled by the combined VR demand, the games will come.

I love VR for simracing, but I'm also pretty excited at the possibilities it gives us designers. The ability to see something digital in stereoscopic 3D throughout the whole design process is massively valuable. You simply can not design something in 3D on the screen and never see it in true 3D and expect it to look good. That's why prototypes are still made, even for pure styling projects. You need to see something with both your eyes and your depth perception to really understand how it looks, a 2D screen just doesn't cut it. Being able to work on the form of something quickly, digitally, and in full 3D vision could prove a game-changer for us Industrial Designers.

vr is more popular with the older generation i believe, as kids we wanted to be in the game, now we can, this ME ME snowflake generation of today only care for things that look shiney,

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.