VR is Coming to Assetto Corsa Competizione this October..

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Competizione 1.jpg

Launching to Early Access this September 12th, Kunos Simulazioni have laid down their development release schedule for ACC over the coming months...

So that's it then, VR confirmed! With the initial release of ACC on Steam Early Access scheduled for September 12th set to contain a limited selection of content and features, Kunos have confirmed the following months will see a gradual monthly update to the simulation, adding more cars, tracks, features and content to the sim until it reaches an eventual version 1 launch sometime around the first quarter of 2019.

So back to VR then... well many people have questioned if ACC will follow on from the original Assetto Corsa and come with VR support in the new title, functionality that is natively supported in Unreal 4, and it now looks like the answer is yes.. but not for initial launch in September.. VR coming as part of the second patch on October 10th... which is good news indeed for Virtual Reality fans...

You can check out the initial release calendar below:

ACC Release Roadmap .jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione will release on Steam Early Access this September 12th.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting upcoming sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Assetto Corsa Competizione 2.jpg

Happy to see the proposed progress of ACC? Pleased VR will be coming sooner rather than later? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

It really doesn't require much foresight to see that VR is where sim racing is going. I think the people that are still negative about VR are just stubborn crybabies that are incapable of admitting that were wrong. I'm so glad it will be implemented from the early build. Thanks to the developers. The future is now!

Pimax 8k Backer number 6,183 here. Running Oculus Room scale, full sim rig, few mods delivered to the community so far and hope the new AC supports mods.

I have been gaming since the original speak and spell.... I know what is and isn't cool and VR is VERY cool indeed, taking to the skys in DCS with even a rudimentary understanding of the plaines is beyond the unexpected. elite dangerious close quarter combat.

As an example of the practical use of VR for EXTREAM level game play, one only need play Onward .. Subway map for example (protube) come down the stairs for the first time with an LMG, 2 team mates behind you and 2 the other stairs, NVG on. I have been more active at the gym to support extended sessions with dozens of squats necessary in game. Fantastic

VR with room scale is really some thing, credit where it is due. Is of the future and many of my fellow older generation never thought we would get to see it..

I am currently considering a purchase of a Nordic track freestride FS5i or 7i but ideally it would be some form of VR treadmill which allowed further interaction with VR spaces.

We are all very lucky to be able to drive such high powered cars in virtual and get a close taste of really what it is like.

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing what AC looks like in the Pimax with 190/ 200fov 4k per eye (80plus hz is fine).

Edit: If you enjoy driving on flat screen or triple screen cool continue, if you don't like VR cool stay with screens, do what makes you feel great and full of joy about your gaming.

It will be a long time yet when normal flat screen support will be taken away and gaming will only be via VR, of course that day will come, of course it will.

Last edited:
Pimax 8k Backer number 6,183 here. Running Oculus Room scale, full sim rig, few mods delivered to the community so far and hope the new AC supports mods.

I have been gaming since the original speak and spell.... I know what is and isn't cool and VR is VERY cool indeed, taking to the skys in DCS with even a rudimentary understanding of the plaines is beyond the unexpected. elite dangerious close quarter combat.

As an example of the practical use of VR for EXTREAM level game play, one only need play Onward .. Subway map for example (protube) come down the stairs for the first time with an LMG, 2 team mates behind you and 2 the other stairs, NVG on. I have been more active at the gym to support extended sessions with dozens of squats necessary in game. Fantastic

VR with room scale is really some thing, credit where it is due. Is of the future and many of my fellow older generation never thought we would get to see it..

I am currently considering a purchase of a Nordic track freestride FS5i or 7i but ideally it would be some form of VR treadmill which allowed further interaction with VR spaces.

We are all very lucky to be able to drive such high powered cars in virtual and get a close taste of really what it is like.

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing what AC looks like in the Pimax with 190/ 200fov 4k per eye (80plus hz is fine).

Edit: If you enjoy driving on flat screen or triple screen cool continue, if you don't like VR cool stay with screens, do what makes you feel great and full of joy about your gaming.

It will be a long time yet when normal flat screen support will be taken away and gaming will only be via VR, of course that day will come, of course it will.
Onward will be even better when we have 'gun controllers' like the PSVR Aim. When is the Pimax released? High res VR sim racing with the extended FOV.. wow it sounds amazing!

• Deleted member 197115

Onward will be even better when we have 'gun controllers' like the PSVR Aim. When is the Pimax released? High res VR sim racing with the extended FOV.. wow it sounds amazing!
Well, I've read that test units were not received very well, back to the drawing board I guess.
Start reading from this post
https://forum.virtualracing.org/sho...AX-5K-8K-8KX?p=2375645&viewfull=1#post2375645

Guess it's more realistically to expect something from Oculus or Microsoft at this point.

VR is the future when it comes to flight and racing sims, not everyone has the room for games like Onward. It just takes time for certain people to come around to that opinion.

A friend of mine was not interested in VR until I got him to try it.

Well, I've read that test units were not received very well, back to the drawing board I guess.
Start reading from this post
https://forum.virtualracing.org/sho...AX-5K-8K-8KX?p=2375645&viewfull=1#post2375645

Guess it's more realistically to expect something from Oculus or Microsoft at this point.
That's a great shame. Admittedly, Pimax did seem a little too good to be true. Other things aside, the pc hardware still needs to catch up I think? Still, the tech progresses rapidly, next gen HMDs aren't too far away. News of the CV2 - varifocal displays, increased FOV, eye tracking etc.. it's all looking very positive for VR.

What else is there, are there any other big titles I have missed that all VR users play?

Well, depends what you are interested in. Personally I really like Elite Dangerous. I'm playing with a Hotas (X52) and voice control (third party). It's kind of cool to "talk" to your spaceship and get an appropriate reply, tell the ship to go in a waiting position, call it back and so on. Also it is a really beautiful to watch the stars. Maybe watch some videos to see if you might be interested.

Oh, and when I'm stressed from work and to tired to play a demanding sim like AC I kind of like to unwind with some ETS2 or ATS, trucking along with some music in the background, watching the environment, which is so much better in VR than on flatscreen.

VR is the future when it comes to flight and racing sims, not everyone has the room for games like Onward. It just takes time for certain people to come around to that opinion.

A friend of mine was not interested in VR until I got him to try it.
Personally I'm not interested in VR at the moment because I don't have the financials to justify what is essentially quite an expensive monitor every few years (not to mention the hardware to power it) and I don't like playing early adopter for the tech industry.

Doesn't mean I don't recognise the clear benefits of 3D display combined with head motion all in one HMD.

Personally I'm not interested in VR at the moment because I don't have the financials to justify what is essentially quite an expensive monitor every few years (not to mention the hardware to power it) and I don't like playing early adopter for the tech industry.

Doesn't mean I don't recognise the clear benefits of 3D display combined with head motion all in one HMD.

I personally went for VR over three monitors which cost more money and take up more room than a rift when seated, get your point about upgrading but you could use the same argument for monitors I guess.

• Deleted member 197115

HMDs are cheap comparing to monitors setup.
You would need to upgrade underlying system but that would benefit gaming in general, 3D or not.
I hope 2019 will bring new higher res tech.
But in all honesty, out of all titles I have tried, only AC makes VR worth and even that one is big image quality compromise, the rest is just bland junk that either runs like ****, looks like one, doesn't work in VR, or just short tech demo.

I've heard the Year Of The VR will come right after the Year Of Linux On The Desktop... so anytime now.

:D

:sick:

Cheecky, signore Casillo .. very cheecky .. :p :)

Ok .. Let's up it .. None of your concern really and I don't expect a reply by you, but ... if you right here and now confirm VR support to ACC as permanent and of same quality ( as at least ) as in the current version AC, I'll instabuy ACC on releasedate.

Otherwise I'll observe user-experience of ACC on release of second patch in October and refrain from buying reading their disappointment, as I also uninstalled Linux from my PC ( former Debian-user .. :p ).

HMDs are cheap comparing to monitors setup.
You would need to upgrade underlying system but that would benefit gaming in general, 3D or not.
I hope 2019 will bring new higher res tech.
But in all honesty, out of all titles I have tried, only AC makes VR worth and even that one is big image quality compromise, the rest is just bland junk that either runs like ****, looks like one, doesn't work in VR, or just short tech demo.

The RTX GPU do not have a new VR single cable port for no reason.
It is possible a revised Rift is coming but something in 2019 is likely going to use this connection or Nvidia would not of needed it on this years cards.

Personally, I think the soon to be shown, (newer) 49" curved 1440p monitor will be awesome if it supports good HDR, now that finally they have sorted the mess with PC using HDR has had. However VR also has its benefits, just that I think a great rig should incorporate both a good monitor and VR solution.

I also think regards monitors RTX is going to appear better or at its best with HDR displays.

Last edited:
VR is the future when it comes to flight and racing sims, not everyone has the room for games like Onward.
Also most people game while vegging out on the couch, they're not looking for a game that requires physical effort. They're looking for something that makes them feel "badass" with the least amount of effort.

It's not like looking at a monitor and it looks 3d, it's like you're really there

Meanwhile a couple weeks back Sony announced the PSVR has sold 3million Units....

Microsoft missed the boat, instead of rushing a quick HMD out to challenge PSVR it looks like they've decided to wait it out for a better HMD with their next console and attack right from the start with that. A new unit, latest tech HMD and with games specifically designed for it would create sales from the get go and may make up for their late arrival.

Any word about proper triple screen support from the start ?

Edit: nvrmnd...
I saw some pictures from Spa where ACC was running on triples, so we're good...:)

Now that we're on the other side of the release date...

Can you find those pictures and link to them? I want to see if there was ever true triple screen support implemented in their pre-EA demo.

Come to think of it, I've never heard anyone from Kunos mention true triple screen on the agenda...I'd hate to think that they went from, IMO, the best implementation of triple screen support with AC, to no support at all with ACC (I know this v0.1.0, but I really thought I heard triples would be implemented from stage 1. Here's hoping it's done before stage 2.

Now that we're on the other side of the release date...

Can you find those pictures and link to them? I want to see if there was ever true triple screen support implemented in their pre-EA demo.

Come to think of it, I've never heard anyone from Kunos mention true triple screen on the agenda...I'd hate to think that they went from, IMO, the best implementation of triple screen support with AC, to no support at all with ACC (I know this v0.1.0, but I really thought I heard triples would be implemented from stage 1. Here's hoping it's done before stage 2.
Still looking (really slow internet where I am atm), but couldn't find any. I don't remember where I saw them either. I do remember Is was relieved to see triples working , though most of the setups were single wide screen curved monitors, a few curved triples too iirc...
Just mailed a friend who is on triples for his thoughts.

A quote from Nao at AC forum:
""""" Sooo... If anybody is interested in running Triples right now, it is possible, there is no bezel or angle controls on side screens but game has no problems running at 5760x1080. I'm using "winexplorer" to force this window resolution, and added 1920 to safe zone left and right in hud.json (in documents) to stop apps from running away to side screens.

Resolution resets on load thou so i wonder if anybody knows where video settings are stored? Would make the whole ordeal quite a bit easier."""""

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Forum trophies