VR and Bentley... New Assetto Corsa Competizione Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Bentley 2.jpg

Ahead of the big VR, Bentley and Misano "EA Release 2" for ACC, Kunos Simulazioni have released a few very nice teaser images from the upcoming content release...

With only two short days left to wait for the first major content update for Assetto Corsa Competizione, Kunos Simulazioni have released a nice set of rather attractive preview images in the form of some stunning shots of the mega Bentley Continental GT3 and Misano Circuit, the two major new pieces of content set to hit ACC this October 10th.

Slightly more difficult to reflect in screenshot form, the new release scheduled for this Wednesday will also be notable for the first pass at supporting Virtual Reality (VR) in the sim - a very exciting development for ACC, and something that is sure to please quite a few of the sim racing community (myself included).

Of course this is the first update for ACC since the game deployed into the public realm via Steam Early Access back in September, and it will be interesting to see what other tweaks, improvements and features Kunos can add to an already very impressive simulation in the four weeks since it made its public debut.

ACC Misano 2.jpg
ACC Bentley 1.jpg

Don't forget to check our review article and video, found HERE.

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now.

ACC Misano 4.jpg

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to the next stage of development for ACC? What are you most excited to try, the car, track or VR? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Anyone know how to assign a key or button to centre the display in VR? I can see the screen in my VR headset, but it's much too low down, and I can't get it to move. And is there any mouse support in VR? I know it's still in beta, but didn't anyone test it to see if it would work with Steam VR?
FFS, I was so looking forward to it, and now it doesn't bloody work. Porca miseria :thumbsdown:...:confused:

Anyone know how to assign a key or button to centre the display in VR? I can see the screen in my VR headset, but it's much too low down, and I can't get it to move. And is there any mouse support in VR? I know it's still in beta, but didn't anyone test it to see if it would work with Steam VR?
FFS, I was so looking forward to it, and now it doesn't bloody work. Porca miseria :thumbsdown:...:confused:

Ctrl + space

Ctrl + space
Doesn't work, it's broken...In the VR headset I'm in the garage, but the actual game screen is down at the bottom, I can only see it when I look down. And no key combination has any effect, the mouse doesn't work either...Bugger, back to rF2 and PC2 till Kunos pull their finger out....:cry:
What were they thinking not having a key assignment to centre the display in VR?, and no mouse support? It boggles my mind....

No mouse or keyboard support. Centre VR is view on the HTC Vive is either 'Ctrl Space' or 'Alt Space'. That worked in ACC for me.

• Deleted member 197115

Horrible, now it automatically launches SteamVR even when I explicitly choose pancake mode in Steam and had automatically launch SteamVR option disabled.
But when launched in VR, can't do anything, even gamepad doesn't work.
Performance in 2D seems even worse than in R1.
Uninstalled, again. :(

I use Oculus Tray at 2.0 with a GTX 1070 and the VR looks fine and smoothy at night with 20 AI cars. EDIT: I don't know where to look for my computer specifications, other than it is a newer HP with 16 gigs of ram. I am not a computer geek by any stretch of one's imagination.

My big complaint is not being able to use my mouse to navigate. I use a Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer, and the menu buttons are so confusing and frustrating to use that I don't want to spend my time learning them. I wish Kunos would use the same easy mouse navigation that is present in Assetto Corsa. Jack

Last edited:
Well, since this is Early Access, I submitted my feedback on 0.2 to the Kunos forums here:

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/misc-0-2-feedback.52081/

I encourage everyone to do the same. The game needs some work and the devs need to know what we want them to focus on.

Here's a copy&paste of the feedback I submitted:

- Bug: AccuForce FFB not clean, grainy, can't have any Road Effect FFB at all or introduces noise

- Bug: Fake triples support via NVIDIA Surround has weird issue where Borderless Window is full-width (6000x1080), and the top if corrected vertically aligned at height=0, but I can see the bottom border of the window just short of the bottom of my screen, it gets cut off by the windows taskbar which is oddly always visible.

- Bug: Misano: In mirrors stands disappear while people are still present. Looks awkward.

- Bug: Can't assign keyboard to car controls?

- Bug: Certain textures should be sharper than others (ex. corner markers should are blurry while other textures like trees and stands people are sharp). As a general rule, I would say things closer to you should be sharper than things farther away if there's some kind of rule like that going on in the code.

- Bug: After some practices and quick race (which I did not finish) I don't have a Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\logs folder to zip and attach here per the forum instructions.

- Enhancement: True triples support needed not just NVIDIA Surround: Side mirrors perspective warped, frame rate needs optimizing (need multi-project, need SMP, etc.),

- Enhancement: Image too blurry: Sharpness option helps but introduces texture problems (exactly like when you oversharpen something in photoshop). Whatever iRacing did with their sharpness enhancement they introduced a year or two ago they did it right. It looks perfectly sharp but performant.

- Enhancement: Image too jaggy: FXAA doesn't help nearly as much as I think it should even on epic. Temporal AA is better than FXAA but even on epic it could feels like it should be more.

- Enhancement: Mirrors should not be nerfed so much: Should at least be an option to be 100% quality with regular non-mirror graphics and then provide options to decrease quality from there.

- Enhancement: Need in-game benchmark to report feedback to Kunos in an objective manner

Specs: Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8GHz OC / Corsair H100i Pro Liquid Cooling / ASUS P8Z68-V / Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @1333Mhz / OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD / Gigabyte G1 Gaming NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti 6GB / 3x Benq GL2760H NVIDIA Surround / SimXperience AccuForce Pro / ProtoSimTech PT-2 Pedals / Obutto R3volution / Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound / Windows 7 64bit Home

Test Conditions: Practice, No opponents, Bentley GT3 at Misano, 1pm, Clear Weather

Frame Rate: 65-75 (haven't seen less than 60). For comparison, Quick Race: 9 opponents, 50-60fps.

I use Oculus Tray at 2.0 with a GTX 1070 and the VR looks fine and smoothy at night with 20 AI cars. EDIT: I don't know where to look for my computer specifications, other than it is a newer HP with 16 gigs of ram. I am not a computer geek by any stretch of one's imagination.

My big complaint is not being able to use my mouse to navigate. I use a Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer, and the menu buttons are so confusing and frustrating to use that I don't want to spend my time learning them. I wish Kunos would use the same easy mouse navigation that is present in Assetto Corsa. Jack

They said you need to bind all the buttons on the wheel before going to VR mode, I did that and I can use the wheel to navigate ALL the menus ... With the same wheel as you. The only use of my KB was Ctrl + Spacebar to center the screen.

Well, since this is Early Access, I submitted my feedback on 0.2 to the Kunos forums here:

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/misc-0-2-feedback.52081/

I encourage everyone to do the same. The game needs some work and the devs need to know what we want them to focus on.

Here's a copy&paste of the feedback I submitted:

- Bug: AccuForce FFB not clean, grainy, can't have any Road Effect FFB at all or introduces noise

- Bug: Fake triples support via NVIDIA Surround has weird issue where Borderless Window is full-width (6000x1080), and the top if corrected vertically aligned at height=0, but I can see the bottom border of the window just short of the bottom of my screen, it gets cut off by the windows taskbar which is oddly always visible.

- Bug: Misano: In mirrors stands disappear while people are still present. Looks awkward.

- Bug: Can't assign keyboard to car controls?

- Bug: Certain textures should be sharper than others (ex. corner markers should are blurry while other textures like trees and stands people are sharp). As a general rule, I would say things closer to you should be sharper than things farther away if there's some kind of rule like that going on in the code.

- Bug: After some practices and quick race (which I did not finish) I don't have a Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\logs folder to zip and attach here per the forum instructions.

- Enhancement: True triples support needed not just NVIDIA Surround: Side mirrors perspective warped, frame rate needs optimizing (need multi-project, need SMP, etc.),

- Enhancement: Image too blurry: Sharpness option helps but introduces texture problems (exactly like when you oversharpen something in photoshop). Whatever iRacing did with their sharpness enhancement they introduced a year or two ago they did it right. It looks perfectly sharp but performant.

- Enhancement: Image too jaggy: FXAA doesn't help nearly as much as I think it should even on epic. Temporal AA is better than FXAA but even on epic it could feels like it should be more.

- Enhancement: Mirrors should not be nerfed so much: Should at least be an option to be 100% quality with regular non-mirror graphics and then provide options to decrease quality from there.

- Enhancement: Need in-game benchmark to report feedback to Kunos in an objective manner

Specs: Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8GHz OC / Corsair H100i Pro Liquid Cooling / ASUS P8Z68-V / Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @1333Mhz / OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD / Gigabyte G1 Gaming NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti 6GB / 3x Benq GL2760H NVIDIA Surround / SimXperience AccuForce Pro / ProtoSimTech PT-2 Pedals / Obutto R3volution / Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound / Windows 7 64bit Home

Test Conditions: Practice, No opponents, Bentley GT3 at Misano, 1pm, Clear Weather

Frame Rate: 65-75 (haven't seen less than 60). For comparison, Quick Race: 9 opponents, 50-60fps.

Can we get one of the site mods to make an article about this post. This is *exactly* how constructive feedback should be formulated and presented to the right location.

Great job man.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea