Tracks Twin Ring Motegi [WIP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making a model is different from using the logo or brand of the car.

If your model is not a replication of a real one, then there obviously is no issue. Copying a real one without using a logo is still illegal; the IP of the original is owned by the entity that developed it (or commissioned it).

Sure... it is just an industry standard. The car manufacturers even themselves buy models from there...

Companies use dubious sources all the time. Still doesn't make it legal.

Public places are not always free in the way you describe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_Tower#Illumination_copyright
As for your photo example. As long as you have a contract you can make any kind of contract you want. Whatever that has to do with anything at all. Your point is that different kinds of contracts exist...?

That link even states that copyright claim is dubious. It also only applies within France and selected other countries that have decided to uphold that ruling - like I said, the legal system is often irrational and illogical. In either case it's an exception to the general rule.

It is a whole lot more than just copyright law. But what you are suggesting is that whole gaming industry is based on illegal work is just ridiculous statement. If we go by what you said making models of cars is illegal. Companies buy these models all the time. Nobody has even been sued for it.

Yes, people have been sued for it. Moreover there are many modding teams that have had cease and desist orders brought against them for using copyrighted work. IIRC Enduracers had that from Porsche for their Porsche Cup mod several years ago. The first time I recall seeing it was way back in the SCGT days when a modder was working on the Tommy Bahama Qvale Mangusta Trans-Am car. He received a cease and desist from Tommy Bahama themselves for that one. Using content you do not own, without permission from the rights holder, is not legal. Period.

Some of these models are made to completion before bought. Some are made to order. All sims buy these models. Assetto corsa, rfactor2, project cars... Everybody buys models. Forza... (list of all racing games essentially goes here). If that is illegal then everybody are braking the law. Or are you saying because the game company has the rights to use the brand and logo and the car then the original crime of modelling a car becomes legal?

If a game developer has the rights to use a certain car in a game and they commission another modeller to make said car, the transaction is perfectly legal. If they buy a ready-made model that was created and sold by someone without a license it's still illegal - but no one cares, most likely. Again, just because something is done doesn't mean it's legal. It's the rights holder's responsibility to initiate action on these matters.

Like if you steal a car and sell it and the guy buying it has driver's license it makes it ok?

Straw-man argument. A driver's license is issued by a government to allow you to legally drive on a road. That has nothing to do with the source of the vehicle you use. A stolen car is a stolen car.

You can argue all you want but making and buying models is perfectly legal period. Where it becomes illegal if you use the brands, logos and so forth.

Making a model of your own design is obviously legal. Replicating a real car is technically illegal, but no one is going to care if it stays private. Selling that, without the license to it, is illegal but you'll probably get away with it, but you may not. Doesn't change the fact that it is still illegal. Replicating a real vehicle and simply not putting a badge on it doesn't make it legal - I know a lot of people in the modding community think it does, but it doesn't. The core design is still from a real vehicle and covered by IP law. The degree to which it must differ from the real thing to be considered legal is a grey area; it depends heavily on each sides' legal team and the one who is ruling over the case; it's very subjective.

But even then it is not black and white because not one single legal case exists to support your ideas.

Yes, cases do exist. When it comes to modding teams I haven't heard of anything ever going to court, but I've heard of numerous cease and desist actions.

You can argue all you want, too. Doesn't change the law.

But sure. We are all criminals here.

No, actually, it's not a crime. It's a civil action, if I remember correctly. Breaking a law only makes you a criminal if it's criminal law. IP and copyright law aren't criminal laws. Hence the necessity for the rights holder to initiate legal action - the police aren't going to knock down your door for copyright infringement.

Work goes on, finally :) :)
1st and 2nd turn:
motegi3.jpg

motegi3a.jpg

Damn, this track is so tricky, I knew that before, and specially without google maps, its so difficult. I use maps, and have to watch looots of video on yt, to define the heights of all kinds of objects. I also had to reshape the oval thing, since it was a bit too small before, and too narrow. Now has the right length and width.

I`m starting to fill grass in between roads and sand traps, this is how it looks now:
motegi3e.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fantastic, you're doing a great job as usual.
Lack of data from Honda and track owners them self (I tried, but no luck, Japanese don`t give up easily), means I need to do a lot of research to gather some, which takes time, for all those elevation changes, which are resulting as the most important aspect of the track (its not like Chang, which is almost on a flat terrain). But I am getting there slowly. I got something quite useful, which helps me out big time for defining boundaries (fences), specially by Z (vertical) axes.

Last edited:
Hello from Poland and congratulations for Your's growing and growing great Motegi track. Mitja, why You are not using any of Motegi version from Moto GP game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back