The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Gelsenkirchen?
:D

Vespa.jpeg
IMG.jpeg

Yup! It appears so.

Hello :)

I am working on a single-player offline 'career' tool that is not focused on the player only. As in, it simulates progress across a wider racing 'world' in a somewhat dynamic way, beyond the series you happen to be racing in. For want of a better name, I'll refer to it as DSRW (Dynamic Sim Racing World) for now.

dsrw.JPG

Before I ramble further, note the screenshot is an initial semi-functional mock-up/prototype only. This is early work in progress.

I'm posting to (hopefully) get some feedback on the following:
  1. Does something like this already exist? (if so - great, I'll delete this! - but I haven't found it yet.)
  2. Would this interest anyone other than me?
  3. Are there any major technical barriers that I may have overlooked in the proposed approach below?
DSRW is planned with the functionality afforded by the wonderful Content Manager in mind - i.e. to compliment/work with it. It is also inspired by the very nice "Racing Career" tool, which is great, but doesn't quite provide what I would like in a career mode. And I must credit Ted Meat for bringing these ideas back to mind with his recent video: "Why Do All the Career Modes in Sim Racing Stink?"

What DSRW will (hopefully) do:
- Track progress of multiple racing series across multiple seasons.
- Work with any one series, or with a lot of them (may or may not be limited) - in a modular way.
- What series to use is completely up to the user - it can be as realistic or nonsensical as you like, from a 'traditional' karts to F1 style ladder with real drivers/teams, to a completely random selection of unrelated fictional series you happen to enjoy driving.
- Multi-class series will be facilitated as scoring is tracked in DSRW, not in AC.
- Series schedules, teams and drivers will change from season to season, with drivers retiring, losing their seats and moving through the ranks.
- Teams' performance levels may change from season to season, or a team may pull out of a series altogether.
- In series where it makes sense, teams may get new engine deals, which will effect their cars' capability.
- The player will be offered drives for the next season based on performance and availability (with an element of chance).
- A driver moving up the ranks to a new team will have knock-on effects down through multiple series as seats are back-filled.
- A pool of 'free agent' drivers and spare/new teams will add to mix.
- AI drivers will have attributes such as: age, nationality, skill, aggression, reputation and form.
- Skill, aggression and reputation ratings can change over time.
- Form gives a temporary boost in performance for a limited time based on results.
- You can check the results and standings in other series at any stage, with basic 'headlines' also generated to keep you in the loop.

How it will (hopefully) work:
- DSRW will be a standalone app that you run outside AC / CM.
- DSRW will import series 'modules' in a simple text format based on AC championship/JSON files, and/or a provided template.
- DSRW will import track and driver data from simple CSV/JSON files.
- Once a career has been started in DSRW, each player race weekend will generate a Quick Race Weekend preset file to import into CM.
- Once you have completed the race weekend, the results will be imported from the CM session JSON file back into DSRW.
- Series points and standings will be tracked in DSRW
- All non-player series results will be simulated in the background within DSRW in line with the season's schedule.

Anyway - that's more than enough rambling for now. I appreciate this kind of thing is niche, but I would appreciate any feedback of any kind from anyone who has taken the time to read this far. Cheers -

For whatever reason I decided to load up the current version of Road Atlanta... It was a good reminder as to why I took on this project :whistling:

Same time of the day (18:00), same PP filter (A3PP), same FOV

View attachment 486073

View attachment 486074

View attachment 486075

View attachment 486076

View attachment 486077

View attachment 486078
I had no doubt yours would be million times more accurate as the existing one - as soon as I saw your name to it, and knowing the accuracy you delivered on Mosport with LiDAR.

Nice to see it confirmed side-by-side though.

I can't wait for your version to drop either - was @Leonardo Ratafiá right the other day? Are we looking at "a few weeks"?

I had no doubt yours would be million times more accurate as the existing one - as soon as I saw your name to it, and knowing the accuracy you delivered on Mosport with LiDAR.

Nice to see it confirmed side-by-side though.

I can't wait for your version to drop either - was @Leonardo Ratafiá right the other day? Are we looking at "a few weeks"?
tentatively - end of the month for a beta "0.5"

Hello :)

I am working on a single-player offline 'career' tool that is not focused on the player only. As in, it simulates progress across a wider racing 'world' in a somewhat dynamic way, beyond the series you happen to be racing in. For want of a better name, I'll refer to it as DSRW (Dynamic Sim Racing World) for now.
Getting big Football Manager vibes:) If this is easily customisable with fictional series/drivers/teams this sounds very interesting!

Getting big Football Manager vibes:) If this is easily customisable with fictional series/drivers/teams this sounds very interesting!
Yep, there's a bit of that in there, though obviously on a very simplified scale! From an offline/single-player perspective I think the prospect of unexpected things happening elsewhere, different opportunities arising, etc, can make for a more interesting experience.

If I can get it to work as planned, customising things should just involve some light typing...

@Ben O Bro. Watched your preview vid of Union Island - love it! Hate to be that guy but I am going to be that guy and ask how is progress going, and when are you thinking of releasing it - or are you even going to release it. Or am I jumping the gun thinking it'll be this year.

Last edited:
@Ben O Bro. Watched your preview vid of Union Island - love it! Hate to be that guy but I am going to be that guy and ask how is progress going, and when are you thinking of releasing it - or are you even going to release it. Or am I jumping the gun thinking it'll be this year.
wow rude.
thanks for asking.

"well... we're waiting" gif meme

it isn't going much. Due to social life going back a bit. So blame the vaccine i guess.

there's the whole second town (Clifton) i need to detail, and it's a bit blurry what i need to do
and by blurry i mean that every time i try to open the max file (like today!
wwwiiippp.JPG
)
i add few fences, bushes, couple houses here and there, but i'm not very convinced.
I'd like to finish at least basic detailing near the main road before releasing anything.
I thought by summer i would have that done, but if i look at my logged hours, it ain't pretty !
1625934152984.png

slowly but surely i'll get there :redface:

wow rude.
thanks for asking.

"well... we're waiting" gif meme

it isn't going much. Due to social life going back a bit. So blame the vaccine i guess.

there's the whole second town (Clifton) i need to detail, and it's a bit blurry what i need to do
and by blurry i mean that every time i try to open the max file (like today!
)
i add few fences, bushes, couple houses here and there, but i'm not very convinced.
I'd like to finish at least basic detailing near the main road before releasing anything.
I thought by summer i would have that done, but if i look at my logged hours, it ain't pretty !
View attachment 487091

slowly but surely i'll get there :redface:

Looks like one hell of a job you have on your hands there - but will be soooo worth it in the end!

Been working on this and that, but what I'm most excited about at the moment is an SCCA Formula 500 pack that I'm putting together with the help of an FSAE competitor-turned-team-owner who's helping out with the physics and handling feel. We're shooting to have a few different cars, but the first one, a Novakar Nova Blade, is coming along nicely.

Attachments

• Novablade RoadAtlanta.jpg
    Novablade RoadAtlanta.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 222

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering