The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Currently working on new air vents for the Porsche 962 short-tail. However, they are only painted.
Screenshot_ks_porsche_962c_shorttail_rt_oulton_park_1-6-123-16-0-27.jpg
Screenshot_ks_porsche_962c_shorttail_rt_oulton_park_1-6-123-16-3-2.jpg

Been working on this for months full time, really a ton of time. I've worked on the physics and the sound first, and now the model by itself took 2 months. I tested its physics on an indoor track mod that I'm making too. Both the kart and the track are the ones where I went karting for the last 2 years, so the mod aims to maximum physics fidelity (but as you can see I've been maniacal also with the looks, and the sound which you can't hear yet lol).View attachment 651210
(screenshot from Blender)
EDIT [JAN 03 2024]: available now, at https://mods.piereligio.com/ !
I didn't finish this yet. Yeah. Working full time.
But now I'm really near completion. I didn't specify it earlier, it's a Sodi SR4, with Honda GX270 engine.

Materials:
The work on the materials conversion for AC has been gigantic, also the UV mapping, but mostly the textures conversion for AC, with the right values for a realistic effect. I've had to do a lot of baking for every single material (there are over 200 materials, but because they're also separated by components, most of the times), and I even programmed scripts for blender and for photoshop for making the work more tolerable. But having so many pieces, every single material I had to convert (group of material I mean, like the ones that are made of steel) had some unexpected behavior (like imperfect UV mapping on some bolt, or stuff like that), that had me to redo the work on that group. Consider that baking took about half an hour per material group.
Also, adapting the official skin (of the track where I go) with a decent UV mapping hasn't been easy, and learning how to animate everything has been a challenge. The skin adhesives are masked to differentiate the material where there is an adhesive, and where it's "bare" plastic.
If you want to make your skins for it, contact me in the private messages section.
Screenshot 2023-07-01 203402 (Personalizzato).png
(Notice the roughness of the raw plastic)
Screenshot 2023-07-01 203308 (Personalizzato).png

(notice the "waving" effect on the stickers)
Screenshot 2023-07-01 204957 (Personalizzato).png

Screenshot 2023-07-01 201143 (Personalizzato).png

I've to add some stickers and some normal maps for the logos and security warnings, and I've to improve some materials. Can you recommend me the most photorealistic graphics mod setup for AC? I'd like to finetune materials on an ideal setup.

Animations:
The chassis is animated to emulate chassis flex. I did this by breaking it in strategic points for giving the right illusion, mostly to avoid having weird mesh intersections where the wheels are attached to the chassis. Driver is FULLY animated (by input and G forces where possible), and also most of the kart plastic parts (I think I'll animate all of them, by G forces like some are already. The engine cover has a loop animation as well, depending on RPM). I've also animated the fabric string used for moving the seat forwards or backwards, based on G forces.

Track:
Maybe it wasn't clear in my earlier post, but I'm also making the track where I driven this kart for the last 2 years. The track is called KZR and it's situated in Martinsicuro. Making this was the key for testing physics (and actually, it was why I made this mod initially: raining on the track on this kart). This is still a WIP, I'm undecided if giving it for free or for a small price, and inside a bundle with the kart. I've recorded some LiDAR footage last week, and so it will be more accurate than it is now (currently it's based on pics I've shot, ads recorded with a drone, all compared to the columns grid inside the track)

Physics:
I've recorded a ton of onboards, where I recorded the situations where the kart started bouncing all over (and this is the first thing I wanted to model correctly, and it wasn't easy) and did specific tests on the track for matching the accelerations and behaviours, like how it accelerates, how it coasts, how fast you lose speed by coasting and turning, what happens turning in too much (and this wasn't easy), etc. The physics is very near the real thing now, although it still needs some finetuning, which I may assist myself doing using the recording of G forces that I did on the kart.

The sound needs refinement too, but it's not bad (I did that in January).

Time spent on the project:
The total time where I gave input (it doesn't account for the time I waited rendering and loading stuff, which is probably more than half the time) for this project is over 500 hours, but this doesn't take into account all the time where I was waiting the baking processes to run (they also take a lot of electricity of course lol).
So, I think it's understable that this will be a paid mod (and encrypted). You'll see that no kart mod comes even close to this. It’s the feedback I got from the people that already seen the progress made in this, and know the mods available for AC.

I'll record and upload some videos soon, where I show the general physics, sounds and animations.

Some considerations:
To be honest, if I knew it would take this much time when I started, I'm not sure I would make this again. I literally started while ending university in August last year, and I'm finishing only now (but we could say I worked on it full time from January, because before that it was less constant). I delayed my personal projects (mobile apps, there are some good ideas I've to develop) for this, and I thought I would have finished in April, so I could work on those later. It's also that I'm damn nitpicky, but still. But I'm very glad of the result, and I hope many people will love it as much as I do. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Trying my hand at the FMOD workflow for the first time with sounds for a Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR Straßenversion. I did stuff like that for NR2003 ages ago (all the sounds in that game were just .WAVs in a folder), but thought FMOD would be something horridly complicated to figure out -- it's actually not that bad at all once you understand the basics.

The model of that car I use in-game is old as all get-out and has some inaccuracies (maybe someday the driver will put his hands on the steering wheel properly ;)), but when I was starting out with making configs for CSP back in 2021, it was my testbed for everything new, and with almost 3700km on the odo, it's now my FMOD testbed (not to mention it's a blast to drive). So far, I've done basic internal engine sounds, gear shifts, transmission whine (which may change, I'm not all too satisfied with it), tire scrub/skid, and road/wind noise. Next thing I'd like to find out is how to work in the sound of the "punch" from the intake whenever you push in the throttle, then I can figure out external sounds.

I think the importance of the sounds besides the engine note is played down in a lot of audio work. The tires on the road, wind passing over the frame, bodywork rattling along at high speed, all of that adds as much to the sense of immersion as a proper engine sound set. Don't skimp on making your own samples for that stuff. And make it stereo whenever you can! It's a 3D environment; take advantage of that.

Last edited:
Some Blender/real-life comparisons of a tricky junction I've been working on as part of my Cinque Terre track. Don't mind the ugly placeholder cars.

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

Procedural road creation test in blender, based on curves ,,, with automatic widening at curves based on design speed of road. adjustable camber and road markings . super elevation of the road at curves needs to be added...

it takes only the centre of the road as input curve..

need to add other procedural elements like barriers. drainage , signage , powerlines. curbs, uv mappingl variation in road surface etc... there r many more things that i can implement procedurally... this is just an initial test...
Nice, it's great to see more people experimenting with this sort of thing. My workflow also involves heavy use of Geometry Nodes. Most of the roads, markings, barriers and surrounding terrain in the above screenshots are procedurally generated too.

I didn't finish this yet. Yeah. Working full time.
But now I'm really near completion. I didn't specify it earlier, it's a Sodi SR4, with Honda GX270 engine.

Materials:
The work on the materials conversion for AC has been gigantic, also the UV mapping, but mostly the textures conversion for AC, with the right values for a realistic effect. I've had to do a lot of baking for every single material (there are over 200 materials, but because they're also separated by components, most of the times), and I even programmed scripts for blender and for photoshop for making the work more tolerable. But having so many pieces, every single material I had to convert (group of material I mean, like the ones that are made of steel) had some unexpected behavior (like imperfect UV mapping on some bolt, or stuff like that), that had me to redo the work on that group. Consider that baking took about half an hour per material group.
Also, adapting the official skin (of the track where I go) with a decent UV mapping hasn't been easy, and learning how to animate everything has been a challenge. The skin adhesives are masked to differentiate the material where there is an adhesive, and where it's "bare" plastic.
If you want to make your skins for it, contact me in the private messages section.
View attachment 676419(Notice the roughness of the raw plastic)
View attachment 676420
(notice the "waving" effect on the stickers)
View attachment 676426
View attachment 676417

I've to add some stickers and some normal maps for the logos and security warnings, and I've to improve some materials. Can you recommend me the most photorealistic graphics mod setup for AC? I'd like to finetune materials on an ideal setup.

Animations:
The chassis is animated to emulate chassis flex. I did this by breaking it in strategic points for giving the right illusion, mostly to avoid having weird mesh intersections where the wheels are attached to the chassis. Driver is FULLY animated (by input and G forces where possible), and also most of the kart plastic parts (I think I'll animate all of them, by G forces like some are already. The engine cover has a loop animation as well, depending on RPM). I've also animated the fabric string used for moving the seat forwards or backwards, based on G forces.

Track:
Maybe it wasn't clear in my earlier post, but I'm also making the track where I driven this kart for the last 2 years. The track is called KZR and it's situated in Martinsicuro. Making this was the key for testing physics (and actually, it was why I made this mod initially: raining on the track on this kart). This is still a WIP, I'm undecided if giving it for free or for a small price, and inside a bundle with the kart. I've recorded some LiDAR footage last week, and so it will be more accurate than it is now (currently it's based on pics I've shot, ads recorded with a drone, all compared to the columns grid inside the track)

Physics:
I've recorded a ton of onboards, where I recorded the situations where the kart started bouncing all over (and this is the first thing I wanted to model correctly, and it wasn't easy) and did specific tests on the track for matching the accelerations and behaviours, like how it accelerates, how it coasts, how fast you lose speed by coasting and turning, what happens turning in too much (and this wasn't easy), etc. The physics is very near the real thing now, although it still needs some finetuning, which I may assist myself doing using the recording of G forces that I did on the kart.

The sound needs refinement too, but it's not bad (I did that in January).

Time spent on the project:
The total time where I gave input (it doesn't account for the time I waited rendering and loading stuff, which is probably more than half the time) for this project is over 500 hours, but this doesn't take into account all the time where I was waiting the baking processes to run (they also take a lot of electricity of course lol).
So, I think it's understable that this will be a paid mod (and encrypted). You'll see that no kart mod comes even close to this. It’s the feedback I got from the people that already seen the progress made in this, and know the mods available for AC.

I'll record and upload some videos soon, where I show the general physics, sounds and animations.

Some considerations:
To be honest, if I knew it would take this much time when I started, I'm not sure I would make this again. I literally started while ending university in August last year, and I'm finishing only now (but we could say I worked on it full time from January, because before that it was less constant). I delayed my personal projects (mobile apps, there are some good ideas I've to develop) for this, and I thought I would have finished in April, so I could work on those later. It's also that I'm damn nitpicky, but still. But I'm very glad of the result, and I hope many people will love it as much as I do. :thumbsup:
EDIT [JAN 03 2024]: available now, at https://mods.piereligio.com/ !
The videos I promised. ;)
I'm finally happy about the physics. :)

Last edited:
I've been working on recreating the Detroit GP from this year. This is my first time making a mod, and it's been a great learning experience. I like driving the tracks that real races are on each week and this one could not be found anywhere— so I decided to learn how to make it.

There aren't any laser scans of the track yet, so I used satellite information and lots and lots of onboard footage to get the major things in place. I'm generating a road texture so it feels like you're actually driving on a city street, and then matching the major bumps from onboards to the approximate locations in the sim. I also got the double pitlane working, but I had to make a small concession of having the pit boxes less wide than in real life for the sake of AI. The AI races on it surprisingly well!

I'm working on adding cameras, new textures, dialing in the right bumpiness, and trying to find a way to make the boundaries less sticky. I have a basic solidified plan as an invisible barrier in front of the modeled ones, but it still tends to grab a front wing. All in all, I'm happy with where it's at, but it's definitely only an interpretation of the real thing.

The pictures feature the RSS Formula Americas 2020.
Screenshot_rss_formula_americas_2020_detroit2023_12-6-123-19-3-28.jpg
Screenshot_rss_formula_americas_2020_detroit2023_11-6-123-19-8-23.jpg

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 168 66.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 112 44.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 117 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 70 27.7%
Back