The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Hi everyone, been following this thread for a while now and I absolutely love it! Today I got my hands 3ds Max for the first and started making a car by merging 2 cars together, the interior from the ks huracan and the exterior from a Super trofeo mod I downloaded, I got the car working in the game but there is a problem with the windscreen and windows when being viewed from inside where they just freeze to one image when I switch to that camera, If anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated :)
20211015205743_1.jpg

Capture.JPG

Hi everyone, been following this thread for a while now and I absolutely love it! Today I got my hands 3ds Max for the first and started making a car by merging 2 cars together, the interior from the ks huracan and the exterior from a Super trofeo mod I downloaded, I got the car working in the game but there is a problem with the windscreen and windows when being viewed from inside where they just freeze to one image when I switch to that camera, If anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated :) View attachment 510203
View attachment 510204
Don't use content from other people.

Thanks for the clarity on if I can use the mod, can anyone help me with my windscreen problem? It also seems like the windows have x-ray on any part that wasn't on the original car
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
setTransparent = 1 on any mesh using AlphaBlend mode.
also node priority, if you have multiple layers of AlphaBlend meshes the further inside it is the higher priority it needs to render correctly.

Also, RTFM.
assettocorsa/dev/car_pipeline_2.0.pdf

Last edited:
Tell me ? I've been using the CSP PBR Car paint sparingly but I can't input a roughness map, can I ? Any link ?
Roughness is stored in alpha channel of TxDetail normal map IIRC. (CSP uses smoothness because **** you, invert your roughness map). For ""optimization"" x4fab opted to store different maps as channels inside other textures (TxMap, TxDetailNM) which in turn makes it a cluster**** to work with but hey, it's old news that he can't do anything right and/or in a sane, logical way.

And it's not documented anywhere because why would it be?

Roughness is stored in alpha channel of TxDetail normal map IIRC. (CSP uses smoothness because **** you, invert your roughness map). For ""optimization"" x4fab opted to store different maps as channels inside other textures (TxMap, TxDetailNM) which in turn makes it a cluster**** to work with but hey, it's old news that he can't do anything right and/or in a sane, logical way.

And it's not documented anywhere because why would it be?
And with such an attitude you're going into my ignore list as well.
Things like that are done for saving drawcalls and tex memory, you may say it's better to have each texture separate in 4K, no difference if it's just grayscale, and if you got alpha of another tex coincidently empty, so you can fill it up with something useful. But nope, let's just think of how it's easy to work with, and ignore that user may want to fill the grid with some big number of cars.

Last edited:
Things like that are done for saving drawcalls and tex memory, you may say it's better to have each texture separate in 4K, no difference if it's just grayscale, and if you got alpha of another tex coincidently empty, so you can fill it up with something useful. But nope, let's just think of how it's easy to work with, and ignore that user may want to fill the grid with some big number of cars.
Ignore list is for users who harass you, not for users who trigger you, but you do you. RD people are a bit sensitive.

I think the frustration comes from that kind of thinking being applied elsewhere in CSP. To save 0-1FPS, Ilja often opts for extremely unstable, finnicky and difficult to use implementations that end up not being worth using sometimes due to the large compromises made.

That's crazy but I don't remember asking.

But nope, let's just think of how it's easy to work with, and ignore that user may want to fill the grid with some big number of cars.
But nope, let's just make a feature that's implemented different from any other industry standard, not document it at all and ignore anyone wanting to actually use it.

Oh wait, I forgot, x4fab is the second coming of Christ and you can't say a bad word about his work. Nevermind he keeps adding features to a broken base with tons of monkey patches and uncommented fixes to the point where he has to rewrite things entirely because fixing old bugs creates new bugs.

Straight from his patreon post:
1634448418572.png

Maybe if you had to figure out his absolute ass backwards implementations with a dozen of broken things in every new feature yourself couple of times you'd think a bit differently.

And what Arch said, he implements stuff in utterly nonsensical ways that no one besides himself understands and then doesn't bother telling anyone how it works so at the end of the day it results in nothing more than bloat - features that nobody uses because nobody has a clue on how to use them.

Then again, I wouldn't expect much from someone who does this and calls it a day.

unknown.png

unknown-2.png

unknown-1.png

Year and a half later, still left incomplete.

Or when you DM him about a feature he recently added and he says:
1634450404808.png

and sends you the raw C++ code instead.

That was on December 31st 2020.
10 MONTHS later there's still not a single line on how to implement it.

Or when bugs take half a year to fix:
1634448888323.png

1634448909342.png

Clearcoat on PBR shaders took 6 months to fix and was only fixed after I told him what was wrong with it.

Or when a CSP update randomly breaks something and then 2 months later when you have already implemented a workaround for it he fixes that thing and renders your workaround useless at best and breaking even more things at worst.

/rant

inb4 this post gets deleted for "derailing" or "off-topic" but I'm absolutely sick and tired of people who never had to deal with this themselves telling me how there's nothing wrong with CSP and Ilja is the god coder while the entire thing is held together by hopes and dreams.

Last edited:
Honestly? Probably a good idea, would at the very least move all the arguing out of this thread. Plus would allow for directing people to problems/debates that were already solved without having to go through them all over again every time.

Last edited:
I wonder if we should have a thread on modding methodology and tools, there's obviously an interesting debate to be had.
The last few posts would be a good place to start.
well we do have

and

it's probably just that people come up with questions reading this thread here and then post here

@Trava good breakdown on how frustrating trying to interact with Ilja and his work can be lol. Found a bug with his mipmap dithering/rotation not being turned off by DISALLOW_MESH_OPTIMIZATIONS =, because it was like a random hardcoded line outside the normal pipeline.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 131 85.6%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.7%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 53 34.6%