The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

My co-conspirator on the F500 cars is going to be showing off the work so far on his team's simulator at the SCCA Runoffs in a few days, so I've been hurriedly applying polish to the Scorpion model. It's looking better every day... and now I am realizing how crap my work on the Nova Blade was, so I guess I'm gonna be going back to re-do that one in a bit. This week I've been building the AIM GS-Dash to work in game, and starting to finally make some headway on shift animations.

Meanwhile, an autocross buddy is in the midst of re-engineering his own F500 at the moment, and has been documenting the suspension characteristics of that car as he goes, so I took the opportunity to crib off of his notes and learn some suspension physics while I wait to get @mclarenf1papa's version. Turns out some of the initial assumptions I made were *hilariously* bad, but on the bright side it's driving much nicer now...

View attachment 505728View attachment 505729
Got a model update a few days ago, looking good! Kn5's pretty massive but I'm assuming temporary.

Physics are getting there, waiting on some more data (that's been most of the development time, really...) but all of the big pieces are more or less done.

Some progress on the big map... Well first the island went from 8x8km to 9x9km so it grew from 64 to "technically" 81 km²... but the truth is probably in between with the uneven coast.
I made a 20km road that climb the highest mountain. For reference it is just one road and it is the same length and height as the Pike Peaks hill climb...
I manage to find a way to kind of conform the terrain to road but it's not ideal so far. So I need to fiddle more with the tool I use.
In any case it was a joy to play. It took almost 15 minutes to get a the top with the Mx5 Cup. :)

island_wip01.gif

island_wip3.jpg

Last edited:
Some progress on the big map... Well first the island went from 8x8km to 9x9km so it grew from 64 to "technically" 81 km²... but the truth is probably in between with the uneven coast.
I made a 20km road that climb the highest mountain. For reference it is just one road and it is the same length and height as the Pike Peaks hill climb...
I manage to find a way to kind of conform the terrain to road but it's not ideal so far. So I need to fiddle more with the tool I use.
In any case it was a joy to play. It took almost 15 minutes to get a the top with the Mx5 Cup. :)

View attachment 506016
View attachment 506017
pro tip
conform a wider road, meaning you can include side road transition
and relax the terrain from that, rather than strict road width

it will give you more freedom, and cleaner (smoother) side roads
if that makes sense

While the guy with the cars and the measuring tape is busy in Indianapolis at the Runoffs (sorry mclarenf1papa!), I've been making some liveries to go with the Scorpion, including a few based on the cars running this week at IMS... though I doubt they've ever been to Spa:

Screenshot_td_scorpion_600_spa_30-8-121-23-28-19.jpg

Other than that, the last piece of the puzzle is audio. Getting close!

While the guy with the cars and the measuring tape is busy in Indianapolis at the Runoffs (sorry mclarenf1papa!), I've been making some liveries to go with the Scorpion, including a few based on the cars running this week at IMS... though I doubt they've ever been to Spa:

View attachment 506710

Other than that, the last piece of the puzzle is audio. Getting close!
Was watching some footage of those little things at Road Atlanta when I was gathering some reference material for my track. Looks like they are tons of fun

Was watching some footage of those little things at Road Atlanta when I was gathering some reference material for my track. Looks like they are tons of fun
Oh, they're wild. The guys in the class don't like it when you compare them to go-karts, but the comparison is not unfounded -- they have a real suspension (using adjustable clamping friction on the bellcranks for damping and rubber discs as springs!) but they also have a solid rear axle, so they have to be set up and driven somewhat similarly to a kart in order to rotate. At most tracks they run a bit faster than US-spec Formula Fords and a bit slower than Formula 4 cars.

Starting to model an Audi Coupé in Blender, I have no idea if this will ever be finished (this is my first time modeling a real car)
Why not start with something less complex? Judging by the wireframe so far it'll all need to be remade anyway further down the line once you learn proper techniques and workflow.

Last edited:
what is it with killing hope of people trying to start model ?
haven't we been there already
Let the guy start his own journey, we all have to start somewhere. You learn a lot from trial and error.
FFS look at my caterham 1700, the model is crap in many ways, yet it looks decent, and doesn't stop a lot of people from having fun with it.
And additionaly, i enjoyed the step of creating my first mod, and that probably what matters the most.

Well I guess I will not say anything more because I cannot particularly model well so my opinion becomes invalidated due to that.

All I can say is that if I made this same argument about physics as well, the RD hivemind would come in and tell me to "just let people have fun" irregardless of how correct I am.

what is it with killing hope of people trying to start model ?
What is it with letting newbies waste couple hundred hours of work on trial and error repeating the same mistakes everyone else made because you don't want to come off as "rude"? Is this part of the learning process as well?

You learn a lot from trial and error.
You learn even more from practicing something appropriate for your skill level instead of blindly biting off more than you can chew and choking on it.

It's really funny to me. One of the other guys that was working on the Jaguar here said that he got a lot of back pats but no actual feedback and at the same time every time he tried reaching out to someone he was either left on read or given a generic, nondescript answer. Is this your idea of helping the newbies?

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 127 85.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 25 16.9%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 45 30.4%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 51 34.5%