The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

I'm just gonna leave this here.
1618386397431.png

1618386405481.png

Have you ever wanted to make a skin only to find out that half of the car is on different UV map?
Me neither, well, until now.
1618386441540.png

1618386451586.png

@Trava I've actually seen that alot (basically standard back in my Flightsim days), but if one's short I'm space in one specific direction, an asymmetric UV map is just much more convenient.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna leave this here.

Have you ever wanted to make a skin only to find out that half of the car is on different UV map?
Me neither, well, until now.
can't really blame everything on him either
unwrap is a pain in the a**
and on that account go see how not clean my work can be
so let's be fair

@ben baron with your skills, you could really shine more by yourself than with a team of not so clean people (to say the least)
You took so much time to do almost everything, go the extra mile and make everything properly

so let's be fair

@ben baron with your skills, you could really shine more by yourself than with a team of not so clean people (to say the least)
You took so much time to do almost everything, go the extra mile and make everything properly
The uv map os something I am improving since the model was made , like 5-6 months ago , I understood better now how the game model should be ^^ sorry for that , same goes with the 3d modelling

I feel more like , using that project to do better for the next one !)
I also learned at the mean-time to import the car ( only esthetically in the game ) at least to be able to work on the shader to have a shiny result ^^ which i am happy on the audi , it looks almost as I wanted

so let's be fair

It is a pain in the ass but come on, flattened interior with some meshes seemingly not unwrapped at all and exterior split across two different UV maps with what looks like planar mapping and randomly packed? Come on. You can do MUCH better than that.

1618395914773.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't call myself a professional by any stretch. People the likes of Gary or Alfie walk all over me any day.
It's just about not half assing the work and then charging money for it.
this money story is a bit ridiculous , just on my side , spend over 100 hours easily on the model , so charging those 3 dollars , would be paying me 3 cts per hour ....

this money story is a bit ridiculous , just on my side , spend over 100 hours easily on the model , so charging those 3 dollars , would be paying me 3 cts per hour ....
Would it be legal though since not only are you using another brand's property (their likeness and brand) but you are also stealing data from commercial content (the r8 gt3 files you stole from kunos)

Ah... finally they are here... the Mod Police
Then scratch build a mod in it's entirety and don't steal other assets and claim it's all scratch built. I'm sure you have been in the game long enough to realise by now that people will tear your claims apart - more so as you are charging for this mod and not asking for donations.
I mean that is where my issue lies - it's the lies you tell claiming everything is your own work when it's obvious it's not.

Last edited:
Do you do this as your main source of income or as a hobby? I mean if this is your only monetary income then you need to get paid more, if you do it as a hobby you cannot use that as an argument.
For example, to make a good skin can take hours but I have never asked for money for my time. If someone donates me a fiver it's a bonus. But this is a hobby and not a job!

Do you do this as your main source of income or as a hobby? I mean if this is your only monetary income then you need to get paid more, if you do it as a hobby you cannot use that as an argument.
For example, to make a good skin can take hours but I have never asked for money for my time. If someone donates me a fiver it's a bonus. But this is a hobby and not a job!
for sure it is not my main income , I don t think you can't compare a skin work to a 3d modelling work ...
Anyway that was not my point , I wanted to point that I obviously don t do it for money as you could understood on my calculation per hour ...

Last edited:
Not to mention that the actual profit being made on these cars is probably in the $5-10k region.... if you’re not really getting paid and are being associated with illegal practices and low quality, again, what’s the point? Dozens of other groups where the work could be put to better use.
10k dollars profit , for one car mod so I assume after taxes , so that is close to 20k dollars charged to the customer ? , I don t believe it a second ... sorry

for sure it is not my main income , I don t think you can compare a skin work to a 3d modelling work ...
Anyway that was not my point , I wanted to point that I obviously don t do it for money as you could understood on my calculation per hour ...
Of course making skins is not the same as 3d modelling but I was making a point about this being a hobby and not charging people for your time unless you do this for a living. I hope you get at least some kind of payment for your time put in, even if it's a cake or something ;)

Of course making skins is not the same as 3d modelling but I was making a point about this being a hobby and not charging people for your time unless you do this for a living. I hope you get at least some kind of payment for your time put in, even if it's a cake or something ;)
Not really ^^ , sadly , but At least i do it for personal improvement on what is something interesting and close to my real job !)

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 170 66.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 112 43.8%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 118 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 70 27.3%
Back