The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Anyone know what to do about this weird wobbling when making really long tracks (around 40km this one) - some cars seem to be affected more than others?
I remember this happening before and I just abandoned a project altogether. But there must be a way around it if things like SRP are possible
Maybe splitting the track into smaller kn5 solves it?? or I could add a fictional hairpin and come back on myself using the mountains to create the illusion that it's still going in a straight line
vid of what i mean:

Anything outside of a 16x16km box becomes too large for accurate physics calculations IIRC. Engine limitation

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've been quietly working on some payware historic Italian tracks, amongst them Napoli 1934-57, Pescara 57, Bari 1947-56, San Remo (Ospedaletti) 1948-51, Livorno 1937... and all at various stages of development and based on LiDAR and photogrammetry data.
I'll open up a thread soon, but for the time being, here's a video of the first track I'll be releasing, Napoli. There's still a list of things to do a mile long, but it's getting there. Lots of placeholder textures to swap out, and things to implement, but release should be soon. :)

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_12cyl_napoli 1934-57_20-2-121-17-15-40.jpg

Just a quick update on my Bremgarten circuit. It's set in the mid-1950s but I couldn't resist taking Gary's amazing Auto Union round there for the outboard footage.

Here's some onboard VR footage too, from yesterday, before I added a whole load of TSO.

As always sir, looks like you've outdone yourself - excellent variety of scenery, great details and I never spot a repeating tree pattern. Crucially for me, the AI looks dialled in wonderfully in the onboard clip too; that's always appreciated.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've been quietly working on some payware historic Italian tracks, amongst them Napoli 1934-57, Pescara 57, Bari 1947-56, San Remo (Ospedaletti) 1948-51, Livorno 1937... and all at various stages of development and based on LiDAR and photogrammetry data.
I'll open up a thread soon, but for the time being, here's a video of the first track I'll be releasing, Napoli. There's still a list of things to do a mile long, but it's getting there. Lots of placeholder textures to swap out, and things to implement, but release should be soon. :)

View attachment 456883

Really great start - I remember your Pescara model looking really good from the pics. Napoli looks great, although I'm hoping a bit more tree variety will be on your to do list. The buildings look superb though. Very excited to see how you keep improving it but looks in a nice state already. Subscribed to your channel and look forward to following your updates there and in your thread.

On a side note, this circuit really feels like the designer was on a personal mission to include as many deathtraps as humanly possible in one track; it's insane how dangerous that looks. First impressions are it looks like a trickier version of Montjuic but I get the feeling I will write off a lot of digitised metal trying to learn this one.

Last edited:
Really great start - I remember your Pescara model looking really good from the pics. Napoli looks great, although I'm hoping a bit more tree variety will be on your to do list. The buildings look superb though. Very excited to see how you keep improving it but looks in a nice state already. Subscribed to your channel and look forward to following your updates there and in your thread.

On a side note, this circuit really feels like the designer was on a personal mission to include as many deathtraps as humanly possible in one track; it's insane how dangerous that looks. First impressions are it looks like a trickier version of Montjuic but I get the feeling I will write off a lot of digitised metal trying to learn this one.

Thanks for your kind comment Rodger! I'll probably tweak some of the 2D tree textures so there's a bit more colour variation. The 3d pines at the side of the track though will probably stay as they are, but for some scaling/rotation tweaks. The circuit is lined exclusively by them, but for one short stretch. Each one is 1000+ polys, comprised of a 3d trunk and 2d leaves/small branches. So that the trunk/leaves colour match all through the day whilst casting shadows they are set with KSTree shader and up normals.

In AC with Sol and CSP, tracks look much better, but one advantage of AMS and rF2 is that you can use vertex colour painting for variation and buildings etc.
Each building in those uses the same whitish texture, but if you select verts and give them a pinkish hue, voila, you have a pink building. In AC you need a new pink texture. Also in AC the canopies need 2x the faces, as it doesn't support two sided materials.

As each track I make will be available for AMS and rF2 as well, there are a few things I'm trying to streamline in Max up to a point before forking development to each different sim.

The great thing about tracks in those days was the lack of design! :D
It seemed in some cases merely to be.. 'Here's a good route, let's stage a race there!'
In fact, in all the time the race was run there was only one fatality. In 1950 a very young Stirling Moss was hospitalised there in a Formula 2 race, he clipped a pavement - colliding with a tree and injuring his left knee and losing two incisors in the process.

Is it close enough to warrant modelling it like that? Something I also wonder on certain buildings and details, but just doing it as textures seems better/easier most of the time...usually need to remind myself of that when I start getting carried away on the paddock side of a pit building...
Nf3Sdnb.jpg

I think it works well fully modelled with the sun being able to shine through the structure. Running the track with a full grid DIP is at around 2800, TRIS count is ~2 million, I got room to spare.

Last edited:
...Napoli. There's still a list of things to do a mile long, but it's getting there. Lots of placeholder textures to swap out, and things to implement, but release should be soon. :)

W.O.W just gorgeous:inlove:
Your rendering of Napoli is really beautiful.Coloring of the houses, roofs, and sidewalk give me italian vibes. Those 3D pines look fantastic, I can feel their cooling shadow already:roflmao:
Do you think, we will get to see the ocean in the release version?

W.O.W just gorgeous:inlove:
Your rendering of Napoli is really beautiful.Coloring of the houses, roofs, and sidewalk give me italian vibes. Those 3D pines look fantastic, I can feel their cooling shadow already:roflmao:
Do you think, we will get to see the ocean in the release version?

Thanks for your kind message! :)
If you squint a bit you can make the ocean out, perhaps I didn't pick the right weather in Sol, it's a bit hazy. :D I'll try and sort that out.
Unfortunately in vanilla AC all the far scenery clips and you can't even see Vesuvius, bit of a shame really and a strange limitation that I think was introduced in later builds? I could be wrong...

Thanks for your kind message! :)
If you squint a bit you can make the ocean out, perhaps I didn't pick the right weather in Sol, it's a bit hazy. :D I'll try and sort that out.
Unfortunately in vanilla AC all the far scenery clips and you can't even see Vesuvius, bit of a shame really and a strange limitation that I think was introduced in later builds? I could be wrong...

I might be misunderstanding but do you mean about the draw distance in general? I bumped up the multiplier for the track LOD up to at least 200% in the Custom Shaders "Graphic Adjustments" settings. Used to get a lot of issues with wide open tracks like Longford, but haven't had a problem since with pop in or far away scenery disappearing.

Untitled.png

I might be misunderstanding but do you mean about the draw distance in general? I bumped up the multiplier for the track LOD up to at least 200% in the Custom Shaders "Graphic Adjustments" settings. Used to get a lot of issues with wide open tracks like Longford, but haven't had a problem since with pop in or far away scenery disappearing.

View attachment 457170

Sorry, what I meant was that without using CSP the distance clipping occurs in original AC. Thanks to CSP it's a thing of the past and we can enjoy beautiful scenery as we're driving around. :)

Also in AC the canopies need 2x the faces, as it doesn't support two sided materials.
In terms of performance (or strain on a system), this difference is non-exsisting. No game engine can draw two polygons with just one. The only difference is that ticking the box 'double sided' tells te game engine to duplicate and flip those polygons.
Maybe you're just talking about the amount of stress from the 3D programme; there you can notice if you have a lot of trees.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.