Screenshot_trw_mazda_fd3s_sexystyle_endlessfloor_28-1-121-20-57-1.png
Screenshot_trw_mazda_fd3s_sexystyle_endlessfloor_28-1-121-20-57-42.png
1614545967102.png

Straight up not having fun.
1614546031126.png

Last edited:
bushes_union04.jpg

bushes_union05.jpg

some greenery testing altogether (inside ksEditor)
3D palms can be seen far away on the second (or below). They will be the only ones using the ks group tree automated magic.
Rest is just way way way way way (and more) too heavy to handle inside 3dsmax.
It requires each bush to be a separated objects, and that just isn't an option for 3ds, or the fbx export, or even the selection before exporting in fbx. It's all very much a joke of how slow it is after only 500m of road covered as a test.

that's how it looked (ingame) : except for some random issues on the left side, and random dark bushes god knows why, it looked acceptable. I liked the way it was more sensible to the sunlight.
But anyways, it's a nope :(
20210227201136_1.jpg

20210227201150_1.jpg

But on the bright side, i'm going the AO way for the buildings, and finding some sort of modular system to create easy variations once it's clean and set.

union_ao.png

I don't want to come across as a nosy neighbour - but which airport or road are you creating. But feel free to tell me to mind my own business :D

somewhere nice :)
flag.png

View attachment 450010
View attachment 450011

3D palms can be seen far away on the second (or below). They will be the only ones using the ks group tree automated magic.
It requires each bush to be a separated objects, and that just isn't an option for 3ds, or the fbx export, or even the selection before exporting in fbx. It's all very much a joke of how slow it is after only 500m of road covered as a test.

that's how it looked (ingame) : except for some random issues on the left side, and random dark bushes god knows why, it looked acceptable. I liked the way it was more sensible to the sunlight.
20210227201136_1.jpg

20210227201150_1.jpg

But on the bright side, i'm going the AO way for the buildings, and finding some sort of modular system to create easy variations once it's clean and set.

View attachment 450012

View attachment 450015

Hell ****ing yes, those palm trees!

View attachment 450010
View attachment 450011

20210227201136_1.jpg

20210227201150_1.jpg

View attachment 450012

View attachment 450015
I thought you were converting TDU map :D

View attachment 450010
View attachment 450011

20210227201136_1.jpg

20210227201150_1.jpg

View attachment 450012

View attachment 450015
Not sure I or Alfie ever posted this in public but in some cases you may want to use what I call the "Alfie Bush". They work great when bushes are up on a bank so you don't see the vertical planes. Here are some examples of them.

Typical Y based bush
1614707900434.png

And the "Alfie Bush"
1614707915820.png

And how they look in wire frame.
e6HGAen.jpg

In game
1614708345822.png

Last edited:
Not sure I or Alfie ever posted this in public but in some cases you may want to use what I call the "Alfie Bush". They work great when bushes are up on a bank so you don't see the vertical planes. Here are some examples of them.

Typical Y based bush
View attachment 450524

And the "Alfie Bush"
View attachment 450525

And how they look in wire frame.
View attachment 450526

In game
View attachment 450527
aha yeah cheers
fat alfie did send me his "bush wisdom"
they do work better ! Only down side is the vertex count is higher since you can't weld the edges

i think the small ones are actually using this on what i posted
only maybe i went a bit too shy on the rotation!

aha yeah cheers
fat alfie did send me his "bush wisdom"
they do work better ! Only down side is the vertex count is higher since you can't weld the edges

i think the small ones are actually using this on what i posted
only maybe i went a bit too shy on the rotation!
Vertex count shouldn't be any higher as the planes are only single sided. They don't need to be double sided when used this way. Also even if it has more verts it doesn't really matter. It's triangles that should be the concern and Alfie Bush has the same as a Y bush from what I remember.

Last edited:
No but on Y shapes, the vertices can be welded. As they inhibit the same normal orientation there is no need for the game engine to unweld them. So it should save 12 verts.
But yeah they won't look as nice :p

No but on Y shapes, the vertices can be welded. As they inhibit the same normal orientation there is no need for the game engine to unweld them. So it should save 12 verts.
But yeah they won't look as nice :p
Welding verts on a double sided plane can't be done in blender anyway so it's a non issue for me. Pretty sure the game engine ends up splitting them anyway.

Welding verts on a double sided plane can't be done in blender anyway so it's a non issue for me. Pretty sure the game engine ends up splitting them anyway.
This is exagerated, but Blender can weld these verts just fine. With smoothing on, a game engine has no advantage of splitting the vertices so I would think it won't. Atleast ksEditor sees this as 12 verts*.
1614716547960.png

*I know ksEditor doesn't show vertices. But copy this a few thousand times and it will import. Split them and it won't because of the 65k limit. So this genuinly is 12 verts.

This is exagerated, but Blender can weld these verts just fine. With smoothing on, a game engine has no advantage of splitting the vertices so I would think it won't. Atleast ksEditor sees this as 12 verts*.
View attachment 450557

*I know ksEditor doesn't show vertices. But copy this a few thousand times and it will import. Split them and it won't because of the 65k limit. So this genuinly is 12 verts.
Ok sure that makes sense but I don't build mine that way so I don't weld verts. Even with my new way of doing trees not using kstree naming I've yet to run into the 65k limit. But I guess if you are building a monster track you would be more concerned about vert counts.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.