Cars The Need For Speed

Updates on the interior of the Corvette. Finished the dash parts, did the steering wheel and seats etc.
bNoH9VN.jpg
WZk3ify.jpg

Yeah, most of the dash is final. Cannot change anything very much past this point :)

BTW, @A3DR How many triangles is the dash of the Viper?

The dash + components is about 63k
Screenshot_5.jpg

And with the rest of the interior without door panels about 94k
Screenshot_4.jpg

Not that I cared for this one but I recognize a lot of parts can be optimized a bit more, since the entire car is 260k. What matters for the interior anyway is that the COCKPIT_LR is less than 16k.

For little bit of history about the making of TNFS:
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/0...ane-the-war-stories-of-video-game-car-design/
“We actually found plastic models of the cars, painted them gray, and had them scanned into the game,”
Really interesting stuff. Always cool to read about modelling (and in this case all the other aspects of game creation) of days gone by. Never quite sure if I should be grateful or upset that I learned to model so recently, I do feel like I'm missing out on a lot of skills being able to model to such a limited budget.

Really interesting stuff. Always cool to read about modelling (and in this case all the other aspects of game creation) of days gone by. Never quite sure if I should be grateful or upset that I learned to model so recently, I do feel like I'm missing out on a lot of skills being able to model to such a limited budget.
Well, I wish it was still 2004 or so. Triangle budgets were a lot tighter back then. A 20K-tri car would be considered very high poly. Nowadays, we need to model lots of detail, just look at the interior of the Vette I'm modeling right now, hehe :D More triangles, more time and resources needed, generally...

Well, I wish it was still 2004 or so. Triangle budgets were a lot tighter back then. A 20K-tri car would be considered very high poly. Nowadays, we need to model lots of detail, just look at the interior of the Vette I'm modeling right now, hehe :D More triangles, more time and resources needed, generally...
This has been the subject of many other threads here as well, creating assets for today's video games keeps getting more and more demanding in terms of accuracy, functionality, details and optimization.
Sometimes this can be a good thing, others is a pain in the rear to deal with, specially when looking back at what it was only 10 years ago. Not to mention the early 2000's where having a 4k car with every component modeled, detachable parts and open doors / hood / trunk was considered high poly, doing a 20-30k car we were talking about high res modeling for renders and not real time games.

If I had more spare time, I'd still be doing Carmageddon 1 and 2 models just for the fun of it, only requiring a week at the most to get something decent fully implemented in game or less, hell, I might still get back to that someday. Would be a blast to attempt doing assets on such a limited budget with today's tools and knowledge.
And there's no reason why any other modeler can attempt to mod an old game today, other than the fact of having the time to do it, of course.

As far as the NFS guys goes, I find it weird that they had to actually scan the toy cars to make those basic models, it's all texture work in the end.

Hey guys!
I was wondering does anybody know if Countach 25th Anniversary edition* model was ever created for a modern racing game? Outside of GranTurismo series I mean.

(*It debuted in NFS3, if I remember it correct).

I also only remember it on NFS3 and the much older 4D Sports Driving - Stunts.The 5000QV we have in game should perform very similarly to a rare “Downdraft” 25th with carburetors.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 30 24.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 17.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 7 5.6%