Maybe their arcade is on different scale, for example it will be arcadish, but still more real than some other "simulator".

Interesting news.
It actually had believable physics in terms of how the car would behave in response to a certain input or driving technique. The grip however is considerably increased and far from realistic as well as how quickly the cars responded to steering inputs. It is of course miles better than modern NFS games.

Did you even read my comment? I have played the game, I know it is an arcade and I was explicitly told by the representative that it is. Very intelligent comment you are making :)

Btw, did I ever mention that it has nitro boost, drift button and power ups that you pick up by hitting boxes hovering above tracks?

No you didn't mention that....quite a massive thing to omit, had you of mentioned it i would of seen quite clearly it was 'arcade'.... but ultimately Assetto corsa with the time trial mode where you pass through 'gates' before the timer runs out is pure out run......so is AC 'arcade'?
No, it isn't.....

Well, Jeremy has never been very good with advanced technologies... Imagine him, dealing with new GPU drivers every second day*... With a console (and a hammer) he should be just fine.
*I'd like to take this opportunity to say hello to AMD guys.

He's got Mr. Slow to help him with all technical quirks. Just need to ask him nicely :laugh:

tenor.gif

090160.jpg

As is tradition with any new and upcoming title, we think it only right to have ourselves a good old posting session on features, content and general goodness we wish/want/hope to see in the new game...

So without further ado, please leave your wishes / desires and comments below!

@Ilya Malyuev

I wouldn't crash a McLaren P1 going 30mph round a corner.

If that were the case there would be loads of dead footballers.....

Anyway driving is easy, driving to the limits and beyond is hard...
But thick what you like, as it is you used snow and ice, this is the problem people think sim racing games should be like driving on snow and ice.... you are mental, absolutely bloody mental.

Dry track fat slicks, massive aero and in GT3 traction control.......
People base modern day race cars in sims on the benchmark of a 1960's F1 car from a very old sim game.
This is madness....madness!!
A modern day racing car is not like a 1960's f1 car from an old sim game that was not correct in the first place...end of...
Go drive a real racing car...please...

@Ilya Malyuev

I wouldn't crash a McLaren P1 going 30mph round a corner.

If that were the case there would be loads of dead footballers.....

Anyway driving is easy, driving to the limits and beyond is hard...
But thick what you like, as it is you used snow and ice, this is the problem people think sim racing games should be like driving on snow and ice.... you are mental, absolutely bloody mental.

Dry track fat slicks, massive aero and in GT3 traction control.......
People base modern day race cars in sims on the benchmark of a 1960's F1 car from a very old sim game.
This is madness....madness!!
A modern day racing car is not like a 1960's f1 car from an old sim game that was not correct in the first place...end of...
Go drive a real racing car...please...
First you call people idiots, then you call someone mad, while don't even bother to understand. Of course, I've taken it to a track when it was summer, and tires were the closest ones to slicks which you can still use on the road. And one should be really metntal to think that I compare driving on ice, with driving on tarmac. I was just talking about how different just the tires can be. On a hot tarmac. One set of tires was giving my car tailhappy moments round some bends, while perfectly regaining the grip next second, and moving on... While tires of another brand (in the same category, same radius, same width) were way more grippier but once over the limit - they won't regain grip until your car is backwards. Guess which tires were more enjoyable, and actually easier, to drive faster...

If you have no respect for cars, physics, the way tire behaves, for everything that was written and documented for ages, and dumb it down to simple truths like "cars grip" - well, first of all I would never allow you to drive my car, or I would never be a passenger in your car. If there was no other reason I would just left this and move on.
But as you are fed up with "sim racing idiots", I am fed up with people who have no respect to cars, tyres, forces, and drive cars like it's easy. It costs lives. My friend who crashed my previous car, it was huge luck that he drove 30 and not 130. He would've killed us. Modern cars and tires are indeed easier to drive, but it's just masking the issue, and the more you mask it, the more dummies there are on the road. And as both you and protonv5 mentioned, it's different conditions and you aren't supposed to drive in them in the first place. Guess what, in my area the snow on the roads is for 5-8 months of the year. And is this right thing or not, but people drive in these conditions all the time. Problem is that people think it's easy to drive. Turn left to go left, press brake to stop.. Well, nope. You're cruising on iced highway and tapping brake - see you on the side of the road, upside down. Which is even more sad - that only 150 km away from here, people learn things like weight transfer, behaviour of tires, driving under heavy conditions, in driving schools, and it's mandatory to know it all and do it all in practice, to have a license. Here - nah.. one week of driving in town, and you're free to go torpedo the traffic.

And if you think it's irrelevant for a track on a sunny day - well, you've never been at track then. All the forces are there, but the grip and speed are obviously different. And the speed before going in trouble is higher (although you can still easily understeer out of the corner on a tarmac in a low speed, depending on corner, or oversteer all over the track if your car has a lot of torque). But also the track in reality is never ideal condition, like tarmac with evenly spread temperature, abbrasiveness, surface... someone in front of you goes too wide, brings gravel to the track, you catch it with one side and suddently you remember your worst racing sim nightmare. But even if we throw these details away, you're still relying on the same principles and laws of physics, as in any other conditions.

You mentioned GPL several times, no one suggests modern cars would behave exacly this way. At least below the limit which is higher nowadays. But the cars in GPL are good examples of things like weight transfer, slip angle, limits for lateral grip, centripetal force, how keeping the revs mid-range makes the car more stable through the corner, and so on, and IIRC it was first simulation which at least tried to model that. Maybe even if they are overexaggerated to some people's opinion, and surprise surprise! I also find them far from perfect, and enjoy other sims and sim cars much more. But they teached myself to avoid many mistakes in real life. And I'd rather be more than less aware. Or for you it's 2018 and basic laws of physics aren't relevant anymore?

And while I generally agree (surprise again!) that on-tarmac grip only nowadays becomes more realistic and "rubbery" feel in racing sims, but also I worry how further the simplification will go. Nowadays I see people already blaming FM7 or GT Sport for unrealistically hard handling. What's next? Forza Horizon will be unrealistically hard? NFS Underground will be unrealistically hard? ETS2 will be unrealistically hard? Where's the limit of that simplification and where's the limit of lack of knowledge/mastery, where's the limit of not wanting to learn or master something?
People want everything to be insta-easy and given to them Right Now nowadays. Well, how about just try to learn?
There were many books written about car handling, tires, track condition, racecraft. A lot of data was researched and collected to at least try to resemble reality to some degree in simulation. So, let's just throw it eveyrthing away, because people on the internet say it should be easy.

Last edited:
Showing a severe lack of any kind of serious gameplay footage, two new trailers for the upcoming Amazon Games 'The Grand Tour' title have appeared.

Unsurprisingly, the new trailers heavily feature the stars of the Grand Tour TV show - namely Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, and a little bit of in game footage as Amazon Games look to begin building the hype for the new game that is set to hit Xbox One and PlayStation 4 this January 15th.

Although new footage of an upcoming game is always welcome, neither trailer really gives much away in terms of how the title will actually play once we get our hands on the first release this January 15th, the two short trailers released so far are more of a focus on the trials and tribulations of the former Top Gear trio as they attempt to recreate some of the real world driving fun on the console version of the title.

So the wait continues to find out more - just 13 days left to go...

The Grand Tour Game.jpg

The Grand Tour Videogame will release on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 January 15th 2019.

For more news, features and discussion about this upcoming title, check out the RaceDepartment The Grand Tour Game sub forum and get involved in the discussion today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Well at least the PC Gamers won't have to feel bad about this game.

On a more serious note, it looks absolutely horrible and reminisces - or tries to - more to the old first and second gen console arcade racers. The FOV is absolutely horrendous but from what I understand many people like this frog eyed view in their games for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Well at least the PC Gamers won't have to feel bad about this game.

On a more serious note, it looks absolutely horrible and reminisces - or tries to - more to the old first and second gen console arcade racers. The FOV is absolutely horrendous but from what I understand many people like this frog eyed view in their games for whatever reason.

For one, incorrectly high FOV in chase cam helps with the sense of speed. GT Sport is a great example of making you feel like you're doing 50 when actually doing 150mph. Not necessarily too high, something like 80-90 horizontal FOV is more than enough. Also needs to at least be consistent. None of that zooming in and out **** than for whatever reason Turn 10 thinks its cool.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back