The Elephant in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
I want to share a concern that I have about AMS2. It does not seem to be discussed, but when comparing how many player actually play the game, I am very worried this game will get any traction ever. It is no just less than other SIM, it is very very little, particularly as it is new.

I would love to hear what Reiza think of the abysmally small amount of user.

Screenshot (7).jpg

How many use a game does not reflect on how good it is, AMS2 is good, but not having user, hence no money coming in has to be some how worry some for Reiza and by consequence to existing user.

By all the coverage here in RD and all the superlative in this thread, you could be tempted to think that this is the next big thing for SIM racer. Not so much, why is their not more players?

Right, so as with so many people these days you expect something for nothing? Or for others to foot the bill for your activities?

Large communities with websites and forums cost money, which is why the vast majority of them feature ads. The ads help cover the cost of the servers hosting the community, the forum software which makes it all work, and the security which keeps it safe. None of that comes cheap.

In RD's case there are the extra costs of running high-speed online servers on which to host our clubs and leagues, hence RD charges a rather paltry fee for access to those races. If you honestly think that 3cents per day is too much for an online racing service that provides staff monitoring, a set of rules which ensure clean, fair racing, and an active, friendly bunch or racers to interact with during your hobby... then I don't know what to tell you. Have fun on your crash-fest public servers! :thumbsup:
No mate I don't expect anything for nothing but seeing as if I want to come to this site I can looks at all these ads that I know are bringing in a fairly heafty sum for RD and then so RD can afford to keep the doors open they want people to pay them to race with them! So all these intrusive ads aren't enough for RD? Whatever mate I don't for one minute think RD are struggling even if no one paid to be to be premium with ad revenue like they must have.

2stains likes and advocates Automobilista 2 in a thread discussing said sim. Gets called a fanboy and a sheep. Gotta love high brow discussion.

Mate without people calling others named, belittling and putting crap on hard working development teams this wouldn't be RD, lol

A lot of people (myself included) are enjoying AMS2. The devs are making staggering progress with it.

But from what I can gather from reading these threads, according to some ‘contributors’ it should either

a) not exist because it uses the madness engine, and lots of forum members are basically experts on this engine and know that it is fundamentally broken beyond repair. Despite the fact it’s a computer program and not a piece of carved marble.

b) should have been held back for release in 2022, at which point it would be absolutely flawless like those other games.... errr whose names escape me right now.

Anyone enjoying this sim right now is basically a ‘sim traitor’, and is spoiling it for the 3 or 4 hardcore connoisseurs who haunt these threads.

Being critical is fine, calling people names because they like and advocate something you don’t. Well...

Ha! I made a post, no name calling, just pointing out the nonsense that some people spout (no names mentioned) and the mods deleted it. Meanwhile the name calling posts still stand.

Please delete my account. Bravo and goodbye.

Edit: I was wrong. Apologies.

Last edited:
I can't find any post of yours that's been deleted from this thread.

B1D35A97-3137-4D5A-A67D-651B42105C3C.jpeg

The post is there now. But I got this before.

Edit: @Kenny Paton. I think the message was in regard to a post I reported for name calling. I apologise for my misunderstanding.

I will continue to report posts that contain name calling. Even if it’s supposed to be funny, as soon as name calling happens, meaningful discussion breaks down.

Last edited:
The way I see paying to join a sim racing community is like buying a set of golf clubs; you still have to pay to join a golf club. Just because you own the equipment needed to join in, doesn't mean you can play for free.

If you don't want to pay, that's cool, no one is holding a gun to anyone; there are open lobbies without any rules, pre-organised races or community based around them.

I commented because I can see people enjoying a sim that I know they would get much greater enjoyment from, and it'll only cost them a few quid per year to get access to great race events with other like-minded drivers.

Wow this latest ad even takes up nearly 1/3 the screen doing a full boarder! That must be a big earner!
View attachment 440433View attachment 440434
Yeah, with an economy in the bin, a pandemic corona crisis, GDPR in the EU countries and a Trump in the white house the earnings have been through the roof as you can imagine. Google ads are known to make an absolute fortune for website owners.

The bordered ad i will have checked as i dont like such practices either but you are seriously overreacting about two sticky ads with is a normal IAB standard nowadays. But I would have hoped that in 2021 people would realize that on 99% of the websites on the internet ads help to pay for the bills and that most sites have this outsourced to a network that places these ads on sites based on your own interest.

That said, we pay each month for 90 terrabyte of traffic (please read that again, 90TB per 30 days) to host RD, all it's mods, races and also pay for the development of Simracing.GP all by ourselves. If that isn't worth the 12.50 a year (3 cents a day) in the form of a premium membership you really have nothing to complain about to read through two ads on your mobile phone and enjoy all the benefits of this site for free. There are people charging 3x this amount for a few car setups nowadays and I hear nobody complaining.

Serious question: what would it be worth to you per year to visit RD without ads and enjoy all it's features?

Mod Edit: We have requested that this thread get back on track. Please do not ignore staff. No more off-topic discussion here. Thank you.

Sorry team! I was just dibbing into the thread and didn't get to the end before jumping in... my bad...

Last edited:
When reading that Reiza is "doing a lot" updating, I have to admit, it is somehow true, but also misleading. To be clear, I enjoy AMS2, I am glad it is available, I am glad I keep it, even though my first impression was disastrous.
All the updates are misleading, because each update brings its loads of new issues and some issues have been there since day 1, not attended yet, so the net result brings a SIM that has not progressed yet on many aspects.
I am one responsible for the low attendance, as I do not drive it often in comparison to other, and for me it is a trend toward less and less.
At the beginning, I though they had chosen the wrong engine, even though I enjoy PC2 for some content with the proper custom FFB file, then I change my mind as I could feel some steps in the right direction, at this point I am back thinking they have chosen the wrong engine, not because SMS is useless, it is not, but because of what they are trying to do with it. To me SMS engine can be enjoyable, but will never bring the level of details and sense of control RF2 does, trying to get to that level is not productive. Which bring my biggest level of disappointment in AMS2 for me at this stage.
I am not really enjoying the driving, too many WTF moments and meanwhile SMS strength, great graphics and excellent cockpit animations and placement, faulty in AMS2 since day one, are still there, sometime even in the latest content release.
Maybe it is time for Reiza to admit, the driving in AMS2 will never be as great as our best SIM, even not as good as AMS1.
Reiza needs to concentrate on delivering a better overall finish product. I think it can be good enough and get more traction if the total package get to a more polish stage.
RF2, is the perfect example of a SIM not getting the traction it deserve by concentrating on just the driving feeling, even though RF2 engine can deliver superb result out of reach with the SMS engine.
In 2021, with what we have access to out there, success can not be achieved with a one trick pony.

Let's not miss the forest for the trees. There are many enjoyable cars to drive in AMS2 already, perhaps even the majority of them: GT1s, Formula Trainer, Ultima GTR, Stock Car 2019, MCR 2000, Mitsubishi Lancer, Caterham Superlight, many of the classic F1 cars... I don't even like hotlapping yet find myself driving these cars until I suddenly come to a stop and realise I ran out of fuel without noticing.

In general offline racing is also very good, the AI react to you better than in some other sims even if they don't race you super hard either. Multiplayer needs work but is passable atm. Of course there are bugs to be fixed in the UI, AI, multiplayer, and many physics aspects. Unfortunately large changes to physics always breaks a few cars (rip M1 Procar). But for me the overall driving feel has never been better, especially with the latest custom FFB files from Karsten.

Let's not miss the forest for the trees. There are many enjoyable cars to drive in AMS2 already, ). But for me the overall driving feel has never been better, especially with the latest custom FFB files from Karsten.

No doubt, some people appreciate what AMS2 has to offer, I am one of them, the challenge for Reiza is that those people are very few. Most SIM driver/racer prefer driving something else.
Hopefully their is a solution, as with very low attendance/usage, the future cannot be good.
Is AMS2 the SIM you use the most?

Let's not miss the forest for the trees. There are many enjoyable cars to drive in AMS2 already, perhaps even the majority of them: GT1s, Formula Trainer, Ultima GTR, Stock Car 2019, MCR 2000, Mitsubishi Lancer, Caterham Superlight, many of the classic F1 cars... I don't even like hotlapping yet find myself driving these cars until I suddenly come to a stop and realise I ran out of fuel without noticing.

In general offline racing is also very good, the AI react to you better than in some other sims even if they don't race you super hard either. Multiplayer needs work but is passable atm. Of course there are bugs to be fixed in the UI, AI, multiplayer, and many physics aspects. Unfortunately large changes to physics always breaks a few cars (rip M1 Procar). But for me the overall driving feel has never been better, especially with the latest custom FFB files from Karsten.

Some good news for you.. Pro Car is feeling awesome in the latest beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes