The Big Assetto Corsa Competizione Interview (Part 1)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceDepartment quiz Marco Massarutto and Stefano Casillo of Kunos Simulazioni about the upcoming Assetto Corsa Competizione.

We asked the community to submit a few questions to the developers of the upcoming Assetto Corsa Competizione racing simulation, and frankly the response we received was incredible. Some 245 posts later and we've picked out a few key questions to throw at the guys, with some interesting responses...

So if you are keen to hear more about this exciting new title, catch the first part of our interview at the head of this article, and don't forget to subscribe!

Assetto Corsa Competizione should be available on Steam Early Access Summer 2018.

ACC Interview 1.jpg

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting upcoming sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Excited for the future of ACC? Learn anything interesting from the interview? Let us know in the comments section below!

Great interview. Didn't know much about Marco, he seems to be a very intelligent man, with a srategic global view of things, like a chess player seeing the game several moves forward. Together with the natural talent os Stefano only the best products will come out of that partnership.
Also the same way Asterix benefited from falling in the magic potion when he was young, Assetto Corsa benefited from being developed in offices on a race track. I hope that they don't change that.

I still hope that “SRO partnership“ means that cars/tracks from other SRO organized series come to ACC. Only being able to drive a dozend of GT3 cars (+potential mods) could be a little bit boring on the long-term. But I guess that Kunos plans to bring some DLCs...

Great interview. Didn't know much about Marco, he seems to be a very intelligent man, with a srategic global view of things, like a chess player seeing the game several moves forward. Together with the natural talent os Stefano only the best products will come out of that partnership.
Also the same way Asterix benefited from falling in the magic potion when he was young, Assetto Corsa benefited from being developed in offices on a race track. I hope that they don't change that.

What? Get your stories straight man, Obelix fell in that pot :D

In any case it shouldn't be so hard to make the game a full out sim, and than implement tick boxes for more casual players to adjust the difficult and realism setting downwards. I mean even AC1 had this, and they more than once mentioned that as this is most likely a PC only thing they need to sell copies.

Looking forward to Part 2.
I don't think they said it's mostly likely a PC only thing, only that they are only focused at this time on developing this on pc. I would assume, as with AC, that they'll get it working well, iron out some bugs and then use the dev kits to try and sort it out on console and see if it'll run at an acceptable framerate. Stefano addressed it in the interview by saying, "If we can offer a good game on the console then why not?"

...releasing the accelerator in a curve does not cause the rear wheels to slip, when they slide they catch grip quickly, there is also no fear to brake in a curve.....

I agree on this one to some degree. It actually does work like that, but it depends on particular car physics, so statement is not absolutely correct. But there really are some cars which has almost infinite immune system against engine braking, locking rear wheels... Hard to say if it is realistic or not... I suppose that such data also does not exist, and it only could be learned by having an experience of real drivers shared, or maybe having some good footage references. Of course engineers would try to eliminate such problems as much as possible. I have no understanding how exactly the engine braking works, but it makes cars slow down, so it also makes cars faster till breaks the handling :D Meanwhile there also might be mechanical imperfections of each unique car and so on... Especially the older ones... I think AC used to make cars in their theoretical best possible "handling shape", as in reality things can get spicy for lots of reasons. We have made a mod Jaguar XJ13, and it had slightly more challenging engine braking and a little bit of challenge, and it got terrible reactions from many people, even though I felt like it is the most natural it has ever been, so now it will get reverted to its "theoretical best condition".

Not every simracer wants to be challenged, they want to be masters while having a good reason in mind thinking that car is 1:1 like IRL. I'm sure it is never 1:1. But perhaps having car slighlty easier is better than slightly harder, though I would choose slightly harder, because in sim you are not afraid, you are the mad man :D

Thanks for the interview. Stefano and Marco look and sound so enthusiastic no wonder this small team are getting the best licenses out there :thumbsup: Makes me really happy. Actually I hoped for some multiclass racing like WEC or IMSA, but as a mostly Offliner I am more than happy to see a sim dedicated to a series with all the rules etc. again. Looking forward to interview pt.II :thumbsup:

cant expect a developer to support a 9 year old OS!! lol

i wouldn’t bother if i was them..

your probably losing 30 fps just running that! lol
The fact that Microsoft has guaranteed support for Windows 7 till 2020 is reason enough to keep using it along with the millions of PC owners that still run 7, besides just because a new OS gets released doesn't mean it's better, look at Windows 8 & 8.1:poop::poop:, W10 has some serious issues in regards to updates. UE4 & ACC as stated by Kunos will be fine running either DX11=W7 or DX12=W10.
As far as FPS is concerned it's more hardware related, afaik the OS has little to do with it.

Think we need to start some dumb argument here, to get quickly into 200 comments. My sim vs. your sim? Ryzen vs. Intel? Batman vs. Spiderman? Put up your dukes gentlemen

Seriously though, very cool interview and the new screenshots look stunning. Crazy to think a hardcore sim will finally have graphics that won't pale in comparison to anything out there.

Visual tyre flex is nice, although it's not imo most relevant detail, but maybe it will finally silence the people who didn't realize it is felt in FFB already. And sounded like it will be even better physics-wise.

Mouse support for UI is nice (Codemasters still didn't put it into F1 2017 after what 8 years?), but think it's really good that it will support D-pad fully. As it will not only make it more console-friendly, but also simrig friendly.

Why would you arbitrarily limit your user base?
You think you're sticking it to them but, in reality, you are sticking into yourself by selling less copies.

I would never personally run W7 but, if I can support it with no effort in my software I don't care what people want to run on their PCs.
I’m sad you guys won’t support Linux, but I respect your decision. Would’ve been a big push for Linux sim-racing and gaming in general.

Looks like I still need Windows :unsure:

variable based on ride height, gravel depth, grip and speed .. if only it was this simple :) .. and for Monza, if it is in Curve di Lesmo 1 you just get stuck every time :)
Yes I know that the cars can get stuck in AC with too low ride height when going off road or even on high sausage kerbs where the tyres aren't touching the ground anymore.
But your simple variables of grip and speed will create a scripted consequence. So they either develop real live terrain to get stuck under realistic conditions or just let the car setup influence if you get stuck or not. From what I understood in the video was that you can always get out of the gravel, unless just like in AC, your setup makes the underbody sink in the fake sand.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.