The Big Assetto Corsa Competizione Interview (Part 1)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceDepartment quiz Marco Massarutto and Stefano Casillo of Kunos Simulazioni about the upcoming Assetto Corsa Competizione.

We asked the community to submit a few questions to the developers of the upcoming Assetto Corsa Competizione racing simulation, and frankly the response we received was incredible. Some 245 posts later and we've picked out a few key questions to throw at the guys, with some interesting responses...

So if you are keen to hear more about this exciting new title, catch the first part of our interview at the head of this article, and don't forget to subscribe!

Assetto Corsa Competizione should be available on Steam Early Access Summer 2018.

ACC Interview 1.jpg

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting upcoming sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Excited for the future of ACC? Learn anything interesting from the interview? Let us know in the comments section below!

Been a simracer lover since sega Saturn's sega rally till nowadays AC and rf2 with motion and dd wheel.. and I have a serious and humble no attack question:
Skins. What is the interest on it? Only thing comes to my mind is online leages, that's all

Been a simracer lover since sega Saturn's sega rally till nowadays AC and rf2 with motion and dd wheel.. and I have a serious and humble no attack question:
Skins. What is the interest on it? Only thing comes to my mind is online leages, that's all

That's the only reason you can find?

What about making earlier championships available when they won't come in a DLC? What about adding different championships that use the same cars? With decent skins you can get so much more out of a simracing title.

[...]
What about making earlier championships available when they won't come in a DLC? What about adding different championships that use the same cars? With decent skins you can get so much more out of a simracing title.
Oh, so you change the skin/color of the car and it's a different car? I thought that's a girl thing ...at least that's the first question you hear from them whenever you tell them you got a new car : "what color it is?" :p

Oh, so you change the skin/color of the car and it's a different car? I thought that's a girl thing ...at least that's the first question you hear from them whenever you tell them you got a new car : "what color it is?" :p

Nobody said it would be a different car, your own perception on another gender is your own problem. You'd think that people who want to play a simulation would like a simulated environment going beyond the base content.

It will have the real liveries, so all mod liveries would be fictional.

Maybe it would be cool in multiplayer to have your own liveries. But not a must-have feature for me. Assume this would be not as simple, each user has to download all skins from all other cars? Default skin file weight is probably much higher than AC. Not that these would be huge files, relatively speaking. Depends on your bandwidth speed I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: mms
It will have the real liveries, so all mod liveries would be fictional.

Maybe it would be cool in multiplayer to have your own liveries. But not a must-have feature for me. Assume this would be not as simple, each user has to download all skins from all other cars?
No they wouldn't be fictional, the game will have 2018 and 2019. So if someone would make the 2017 grid they would still be realistic and most welcomed.

And yes that's what we all did in GTR2/rfactor days, we downloaded individual skins and made them into one group (or if some nice person would skin them all for free with a bunch of friends and it would then be considered a skin pack/mod).

Is that really so hard to grasp for the younger generation these days? I'm with question marks in my eyes that this seems to be like some "omg omg" idea coming from nowhere.

No they wouldn't be fictional, the game will have 2018 and 2019. So if someone would make the 2017 grid they would still be realistic and most welcomed.
Regulations for Blancpain are not same in 2018 and 2017 season. So, is that realistic? I'm not younger generation at all, I wish I was. Just relatively new to sim racing (started with Assetto in 2014).

I'm all for being able to use your own livery in Multiplayer, but it has to be automated then. Because ACC will have comprehensive ranking system, where drivers compete globally. Not just some closed leagues, where you can download skins of the people in that league.

You will likely be matched with full grid of strangers with similar skill rank/safety rating, so you will need all of their skins. Every race. The combined file weight might be quite a bit, assuming 2K skins of Assetto Corsa are long gone in ACC.

But I don't really know the technical side of things, hope of course it can happen.

Is that really so hard to grasp for the younger generation these days? I'm with question marks in my eyes that this seems to be like some "omg omg" idea coming from nowhere.

I'm not young, I grasp your concept fine, it's just not something that matters to me personally. Is it hard to grasp that we all have different wants and desires when it comes to how we play our games? There's nothing wrong with you wanting to create previous seasons using custom skins, there's also nothing wrong with people never installing a custom skin. Each to their own, let's just get on with racing and stop arguing about whose method of playing is the more correct one. :)

I'm desperate to hear about that too. Fingers crossed we can skin the cars.

I'm sure that skinning, even if not officially supported, will be one of the first thing that "some smart guy 'll figure out how to do it"
I'll bet it'll happen since the first days of EA time.....

P.S.- Please, FYI, note that I'm usually a pessimist guy..... :roflmao:
No need to wait for the smart guy.
In second part of the interview Marco confirmed the possibility to create our own liveries.... (min 11:45)

Last edited:
Sounded very much like you'll only be able to choose from select predetermined sponsors/colours and perhaps rearrange them on the car as you want, perhaps an in-game feature.
I could have misunderstood Marco though.
I understand he says "WITH A set of sponsors..." and so I think he is referring to the mandatory stickers of the Blancpain championship (technical / safety / series sponsors) that you "have to include" in your skin (in reality hardcoded) just like a real team, but you are free to create your own livery, i.e. to "paint" your car.

Anyway I'm not english mother language, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Sounded very much like you'll only be able to choose from select predetermined sponsors/colours and perhaps rearrange them on the car as you want, perhaps an in-game feature.
I could have misunderstood Marco though.

That's exactly how I took it too, sounded much like iRacing's built-in custom livery system which, while somewhat limited, is totally usable and doesn't require people to download separate files because the bits are baked-in to everyone's copy of the game. Not quite as flexible as the full custom system in AC but much more convenient and still way better than not being able to choose one at all or only being able to choose from the default liveries.

We'll see, naturally I hope you are wrong since I really don't like such an "half" skinning feature. Anyway not a problem for me, I'll stick without problem with original liveries or I'll wait for the famous "smart guy that will figure out how to do it" :roflmao:

As further consideration, I'm only wondering if they have time to "waste" to code such internal feature with tight time they have and the amount of physic and graphic features to implement.
I mean, it's not as simple as it seems, even if you limit to fixed schemes, you have anyway to provide an interface (even if minimal), a dedicated code that manage it and test everything to work properly since it's something they hadn't in AC or in their previous sims.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents in here.

For me skinning is literally 30-50% of the fun for me. I'm a professional graphic designer and I owe my entire career to sim racing .

Whilst my friends were out playing football I was at home skinning cars for Grand Prix 2. I would spend more time skinning cars than racing them. I then got in to branding and the rest is history.

I still spend my spare time skinning cars and then racing them. I do offline championships and that's about it.

It's also an amazing way to keep a game fresh. I get bored of looking at the same cars every race. I reskin cars to keep the visual interest in the cars I'm racing against. There's something special about seeing your cars racing, even if it is only AI.

This is one of the main reasons I don't play raceroom. Great title but with no skinning options, personally, I'm not interested. And the lack of damage, but that's another conversation.

Anyway hope that gives you a bit of insight into a Skinners world.

Last edited:
For me skinning is literally 30-50% of the fun for me. I'm a professional graphic designer and I owe my entire career to sim racing .

That's exactly why I'll never mess with creating proper custom skins. I too am in the graphic design business and the last thing I want to do in my free time is more of the crap I have to do at work. :roflmao: Glad to hear it worked out for you though! :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 331 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 462 39.2%