Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

Seems all development on hardware side and simtools for the servo controller is done (with exception adding 7th axis).

IMG_20190726_003352.jpg
mmexport1563963660644.png

Thanks
Thanos

Last edited:
Thanks, Thanos.

This is what I have been waiting for. A one stop shop where we can pick up everything we need in one kit and all at the same time :thumbsup:

Are these different motion systems all sharing the same PC software to configure them drive them?

IOW will the same software that drives an SFX-100 system drive the PT actuator system? Are the hardware boards compatible?

Are these different motion systems all sharing the same PC software to configure them drive them?

IOW will the same software that drives an SFX-100 system drive the PT actuator system? Are the hardware boards compatible?

Thanos will be the guy to give an accurate answer to the hardware compatibility between the systems. As far as I'm aware, it seems that people are using SimTools for the PT actuators and Simfeedback with the SFX actuators although I would think they are interchangeable if you know how to setup the correct parameters.

Thanos will be the guy to give an accurate answer to the hardware compatibility between the systems. As far as I'm aware, it seems that people are using SimTools for the PT actuators and Simfeedback with the SFX actuators although I would think they are interchangeable if you know how to setup the correct parameters.

Both systems read Racing Sim telemetry and allow you to configure your motion to taste. Any idea how those two packages compare for capabilities?

I found this post from February.
https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/simtools-to-simfeedback-plugin-any-interest.13063/
"I believe you can simply swap the Arduino controller out for a (thanos) AMC controller, and not only will the system be compatible with SimTools, but it can also properly center now too."

I think the AMC controller would have the advantage over the Arduino + Shield combination in terms of what you can do. If I remember correctly, using the AMC controller allows a little more range over the Arduino when you combine it with the SFX actuators.

I would think there are quite a few more advantages although I'd be a poor person to explain those what with having zero practical experience with either system.

I agree. What I've read on his discord server shows his controller is a substantial improvement. That's what makes me question the software compatibility. While the SFX-100 software might drive it, my question is whether it would drive it well.

If I was choosing to go with Thanos's controller I'd definitely pair it with SimTools, purely for the reassurance of knowing that Thanos uses them in tandem during development.

I agree. What I've read on his discord server shows his controller is a substantial improvement. That's what makes me question the software compatibility. While the SFX-100 software might drive it, my question is whether it would drive it well.

The AMC-AASD15A servo controller is compatible with Simtools with dedicated interface plugin. Its not compatible with Simfeedback as its closed source and does not allow any other servo controllers except the arduino leonardo. They had to limit this for only one controller and only 100mm stroke, as all control is taking place in simfeedback software and the arduino leonardo is not intelligent at all to check the actuators for feedback on their status or overrun of stroke etc. The arduino leonardo is just passing pulses to the servos with no idea about its status or home position and this is the reason you need to make sure to STOMP on the actuators with your feet to fully retract them BEFORE power on, so they dont destroy the actuators from over travel. Poor implementation of safety if you ask my opinion.

The AMC-AASD15A fixes all safety issues, allows any stroke length up to 650mm and combinations of different strokes or types of actuators, all handled in hardware.

To clear up this, yes you can use simfeedback software and arduino leonardo on actuators that are equipped with AASD-15A servos, but you will be limited to 100mm stroke and you will still have to "HOME" the actuators manually before power up... other than that the actuators will work same as the sfx100 actuators ( actually with much less noise as they are mechanically superior).

Thanks
Thanos

Last edited:
Just to add to what Thanos said, I've been using his controller with my SFX-100 setup, instead of the usual Ardunio. Thanos outlined the advantages, which are:

1) The Thanos controller has built-in safety. It auto-calibrates each actuator on startup, and knows the absolute position of each. Unlike the Arduino, Thano's controller ensures the sliders won't be driven into the ends of the actuator. This has happened on SFX-100 builds, and has broken parts.

2) You can set actuator stroke as part of setup. SFX actuators are capable of 110 mm, which I'm using on my setup. The Aruduino build is currently hard-coded to 100mm.

3) Thano's controller uses Simtools. This software is extremely flexible, with many tuning options. There's a large community supporting this (see XSimulator.net). Simtools is also open source, unlike the restricted software on the standard SFX-100 build. There is a learning curve with Simtools, and not many SFX-100 users have adopted it, but as more do, we'll have more and more tuned profiles to share. If anyone wants my AC and PC2 profiles, let me know.

4) Thano's controller is truly plug n play. No wiring. You just hook up to your PC via USB, and your controllers via DB25 and you're working. It also has independent test capability built-in, so you can test your SFX setup during the build without the need to hook up or download anything to your PC.

5) Thanos controller has a lovely 2-line LCD display, that let's you know if you're online, recieving data, etc. In addition, it has easy-to-use controls, including a button "pad" and 2-way dial/enter button. Super-helpful for setup and testing. He also has a fantastic 3D printed case, to fit his controller; STL files are avilable from his github.

6) Thano's programmed his controllers in assembly language, and capable of very fast updates to the motors. This is good for capturing very fine details, etc. The "tactile" sense I get from his controller is uncanny, much like the fast updates on a DD wheel.

7) Thanos controller supports up to 7 axis, with 6 ready-to-go right on the board. If you want to add traction loss or a seabelt tensioner, it's all ready for this, including Simtools support for these functions. Alternately, you could use 2 extra axis for a seat-mover in addition to the SFX actuators. I've done my SFX setup with my older NLR v3 motion chair, and the combination is fantastic. I know folks have said they prefer SFX w/o the chair, but my extensive testing has shown the chair is a nice addition, handling surge and sway very realistically with a greater range of motion than the SFX can provide to these forces.
---------------
And to be fair, there's a few disadvantages. They are:

1) Cost. Using his controller is more expensive than the standard SFX-100 build, expect to pay about $150-200 more compared to the Arduino builds.

2) Setup. This really isn't a disadvantage, just a different setup process. Thanos has a dedicated Discord channel to help, and now that a few of us have successfully implemented his controller, there's a growing body of users to help new folks through this process. Like all DIY hardware/software combos, there's several very specific drivers, apps, and others things you need to locate and install to get it all running.

3)Current lack of tuned profiles for many sims. As we're in the very early days of use of Thanos' controller with SFX builds, there's many titles we haven't tuned Simtools for. This will change as more folks start using his controller.
--------------
Finally, I'll simply state the Thano's controller has worked flawlessly with my SFX build for well over about 40 hours of use in the last month. It's been rock solid, and the display provides a constant update on the status of my system. Highly, highly recommended.

Last edited:
Just to add to what Thanos said, I've been using his controller with my SFX-100 setup, instead of the usual Ardunio. Thanos outlined the advantages, which are:

1) The Thanos controller has built-in safety. It auto-calibrates each actuator on startup, and knows the absolute position of each. Unlike the Arduino, Thano's controller ensures the sliders won't be driven into the ends of the actuator. This has happened on SFX-100 builds, and has broken parts.

2) You can set actuator stroke as part of setup. SFX actuators are capable of 110 mm, which I'm using on my setup. The Aruduino build is currently hard-coded to 100mm.

3) Thano's controller uses Simtools. This software is extremely flexible, with many tuning options. There's a large community supporting this (see XSimulator.net). Simtools is also open source, unlike the restricted software on the standard SFX-100 build. There is a learning curve with Simtools, and not many SFX-100 users have adopted it, but as more do, we'll have more and more tuned profiles to share. If anyone wants my AC and PC2 profiles, let me know.

4) Thano's controller is truly plug n play. No wiring. You just hook up to your PC via USB, and your controllers via DB25 and you're working. It also has independent test capability built-in, so you can test your SFX setup during the build without the need to hook up or download anything to your PC.

5) Thanos controller has a lovely 2-line LCD display, that let's you know if you're online, recieving data, etc. In addition, it has easy-to-use controls, including a button "pad" and 2-way dial/enter button. Super-helpful for setup and testing. He also has a fantastic 3D printed case, to fit his controller; STL files are avilable from his github.

6) Thano's programmed his controllers in assembly language, and capable of very fast updates to the motors. This is good for capturing very fine details, etc. The "tactile" sense I get from his controller is uncanny, much like the fast updates on a DD wheel.

7) Thanos controller supports up to 7 axis, with 6 ready-to-go right on the board. If you want to add traction loss or a seabelt tensioner, it's all ready for this, including Simtools support for these functions. Alternately, you could use 2 extra axis for a seat-mover in addition to the SFX actuators. I've done my SFX setup with my older NLR v3 motion chair, and the combination is fantastic. I know folks have said they prefer SFX w/o the chair, but my extensive testing has shown the chair is a nice addition, handling surge and sway very realistically with a greater range of motion than the SFX can provide to these forces.
---------------
And to be fair, there's a few disadvantages. They are:

2) Setup. This really isn't a disadvantage, just a different setup process. Thanos has a dedicated Discord channel to help, and now that a few of us have successfully implemented his controller, there's a growing body of users to help new folks through this process. Like all DIY hardware/software combos, there's several very specific drivers, apps, and others things you need to locate and install to get it all running.

3)Current lack of tuned profiles for many sims. As we're in the very early days of use of Thanos' controller with SFX builds, there's many titles we haven't tuned Simtools for. This will change as more folks start using his controller.
--------------
Finally, I'll simply state the Thano's controller has worked flawlessly with my SFX build for well over about 40 hours of use in the last month. It's been rock solid, and the display provides a constant update on the status of my system. Highly, highly recommended.

Thanks for the extensive review, there are even more features, like automatic Park when there is no motion data present, automatic smooth move to standby position as soon motion data are available, emergency switch along manual move button for moving between park or standby position and there is even a Force Offline switch to literally pause the motion without having to stop the motion software or the game!

Regarding No2 disadvantage, its not disadvantage at all, its actually freedom to setup your platform with what you are comfortable with and with motion that matches better your setup. For example people with flight sims might want more smooth and large motions with less vibrations. Others want to have both large motions and angles combined with vibrations for racing with screen mounted on the rig. Others might want just small sharp movements with lots vibration, that works better with VR head displays...

Thanks
Thanos

Last edited:
Thanks for the extensive review, there are even more features, like automatic Park when there is no motion data present, automatic smooth move to standby position as soon motion data are available, emergency switch along manual move button for moving between park or standby position and there is even a Force Offline switch to literally pause the motion without having to stop the motion software or the game!

Regarding the disadvantages you listed let me agree with No1. But be assured you get what you pay for. If you pay for cheap, you may end up paying more expensive later to fix damaged actuators ( plus extra labor or wait times until back online).

Regarding No2 disadvantage, its not disadvantage at all, its actually freedom to setup your platform with what you are comfortable with and with motion that matches better your setup. For example people with flight sims might want more smooth and large motions with less vibrations. Others want to have both large motions and angles combined with vibrations for racing with screen mounted on the rig. Others might want just small sharp movements with lots vibration, that works better with VR head displays...

Have a look through this playlist with many videos that demonstrate and explain everything regarding the AMC-AASD15A servo controller:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnk_yOQnOD_YRxGFI5Z0CvpWGx1GGeXIo

Thanks
Thanos

PS. I'd like to thank all these people getting on the wait list on Tindie for the AMC-AASD15A, I'm placing units back in stock as soon as I get parts. But it gets out of stock almost immediately because of the demand. You can perhaps negotiate extra units from PT-ACTUATOR as he has a small stock as well to provide along his complete kits...
Hi..what is the price?

For anyone that is running a 4 actuator SFX100 (no NLM V3) that wants some ready to go settings for various titles just let me know. I am not posting them as yet due to the fact that the axis directions depend on the order you have your actuators plugged in, but have full settings and motion tunes to get you started for AC, RF2, IL2 BOS which you can then tweak to your liking. IL2 BOS can be REALLY savage in its telemetry so having somewhere to start from is recommended to avoid sending your SFX100 through the nearest wall..

Hi, buddy, thanks for your threads, actually, our mega monster for racing motion kits are flange size 80, and sfx 100 are majority flange size 90models, but, we are heavy duty and long time life endurance.

Just a heads up Thanos has given us a standard to work from in his documentation. (not that you have to abide)
https://github.com/tronicgr/AMC-AASD15A-Firmware/blob/master/AMC-AASD15A_ 4DOF+TL-Simtools_manual_v1.pdf

Rear Left - Servo 1
Front Left - Servo 2
Front Right - Servo 3
Rear Right - Servo 4
Traction Loss - Servo 5
I think that there is a mistake on the SimTools setting example in that PDF documentation.
Roll and Sway should be the opposite of each other.
Same with Pitch and Surge.
So
Roll is black black orange orange
Sway is orange orange black black

Pitch is black orange orange black
Surge is orange black black orange.

That's right, the pdf documentation has the wrong settings. The sway and surge settings were wrong in the documentation; they should be the reverse of roll and pitch. The example, above, is correct.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back