Stuttering on sim racing games!

Yesterday on the store they install windows again and Oculus works now. My downloads where at 2.1 Mbs but now with new windows install it's at 30 Mbs.
However stuttering still present, it's more noticeable on VR then with monitor. On monitor I think G-Sync and V-Sync on help the images to be smooth.
I don't understand why my windows version didn't go fine, as I download it for a DVD from the Microsoft site, although I download it with old motherboard, but I think it is a normal windows install DVD, só it should work in any computer.

Maybe I ll go to install windows 7 and see if it gives me the same problems.

I play essentially ASSETTO CORSA, RFACTOR 2, AUTOMOBILISTA, ASSETTO CORSA COMPETIZIONE.

Today I tested a computer of my friend with a i7 6700K no OC, with a GTX 1070. It can handles Assetto Corsa at a steady 110 fps. No issues. With VR can handle steady 45 fps. All smooth.
I can get higher fps on my computer, but no smoth at all.
One thing I noticed is when I have Assetto Corsa render stats build app open, on his computer red and blue line are always steady. On my computer the red line have oscillations, some picks.
Does it mean anything? What that lines represent?

Thanks

Hi again!
I had a new GPU, I returned the RTX 2080TI and now I have a RTX 2070.
With a fixed value for all cores ratio, for example 4.5 GHz and with all the energy saving options turned off on the BIOS, I have got almost no stuttering, just a little bit.
The problem is that I can do 2 or 3 laps without stuttering and suddenly the image and sound start shaking, almost freezing for 2 or 3 seconds and after that continues normally or it repeats one or two times more.
So the problem apparently was not the graphic card!
I tested the computer again with AIDA64 and I noticed if any one of the cores go above 4.4 GHz, temperature of that core surpasses the 80° C and it starts throttling.
Anyway on Assetto Corsa even if I put the max frequency of all cores blocked at 4.4 GHz I still have stuttering or the problem I mentioned above.
Is it normal, as I have a CORSAIR H100I, that core temperature goes so high?
Even at steady 4.4 GHz on all cores on AIDA64 it reaches 78 / 79 ° C.
As I mentioned before, I tested the computer and components with MEMTEST86, IPDT, userbenchmark, etc and I got no errors on it!
What could be causing this stuttering?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
I have the H100i Pro on my 9900k at stock settings and it only reaches 65 degrees in Aida stress tests.

Like has already been said, take the cooler off the CPU, clean it all up and repaste it and make sure its seated right. If that doesnt work then you may have a problem with the pump or the coolant inside has evaporated.

AIO - All in one (Corsair watercoolers are AIO systems)

An AIO cooler can lose its efficiency at any time in its life, the main problems with them are dust clogging up the radiators, sludge build up inside the system, pumps not working well enough (due to sludge) and coolant evaporating.

I had a Corsair H60 on my 4790k for 4 years, for the first 3 years it was fine and kept temps down to 60 degrees under max load, after that the temps took a massive turn and the CPU started thermal throttling at max loads, there was no warning and nothing had changed, even a clean up and repaste didnt solve it, when I took it out of the case and gave it a shake you could hear the coolant that was left sloshing about so some evaporation had took place and maybe caused a big air lock in the pump/CPU block. When you buy a new AIO you shouldnt hear any sloshing about of the liquid as it will be filled near enough to the brim.

AIO coolers are good when they work but always need watched to make sure their doing their job, like everything else they have a lifespan and that can be a diffrent timeframe for any situation.

Hola Miguel,
Do you have still have the issue, you have exact same issue has i and your hardware is almost the same,got the carbon z370 with an i7 8700k and a msi 2080ti,

Spending a complete week on it to find the stutter in vr, now this very early morning found out there is a known bug since months but came to light with a forum post on battlefield 3,suddey game was capped in fps, and cpu was mostly going to 100 % and gpu was almost idle,

Different options :
- Complete reinstall to 1809 and correct drivers,
- opt in insider program and get latest windows version : i did this
- than i found out there is a new windows kb patch
July 26, 2019—KB4505903 (OS Build 18362.267)

Since day one i thought directly is this the only performance i have with an 2080ti, my 1070 had same performance

Hereby link to forum to give more info about it
https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/186020/win-10-v-1903-drop-fps

Important note : if you have an realtek audio oboard, you need to update to newer driver for 1903

Will report later if also fixed for me... Did the insider thing, did a fast assetto corsa benchmark and had allready higher score, so next step is test with the Oculus headset

When i drive alone,almost 70% performance headroom with major dips to even in minus %, thats why while racing
It feels even more "stuttery"

2080ti runs whole time at 1300 to 1500 mhz, max 39% usuage

Shooters or other games boost card to 1980mhz

Hope this will help or give you an indication

Attachement is a quote from NVIDIA Manuel about the fix

Regards Fulgore

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-18-18-12-03-149_com.android.chrome.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-18-18-12-03-149_com.android.chrome.png
    359.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Hi Miguel,

I noticed same behavor with hypertreading last night, when its on ,small micro stutters and in renderstats you see the red line is not flat,small heartbeat fluctuations

Without hypertreading Ac runs very very smooth and this guide https://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-best-vr-performance-your-pc#pagefile
i only adjusted the pagefile to min and max to 4096 mb and the register changes

I noticed well something thx do this testing

Oculust rift ASW ,with hypertreading the game goes to low 75 fps and little microstutter
Without hypertreading i had no dips, only on mod track Lake Louise, BUT it goes directly to 45 fps has it should,

Next i tried full course 23 AI nissan gt3 on Nordschleife directly 45 fps, but main_t was about
30%, so i was thinking this is weird.
Went back to content manager, custom shader patch ,i think lightning fx and to performance ,three options i enabled, back to same track , fluent 90 fps and no stutters anymore

Next test was Nordschleife tourist with 32 other people,no issues, i hope it give you a good direction

Like you will notice, other games dont have the issues,even not Dirt Rally

attachement with my ingame settings and in nivida control panel i force the Anisoptric filtering to 16 and pre rendered frames to 1

with the pixel setting to 1.X the gpu runs more to 80% otherwise the ti sleeps :D
Regards

Attachments

• Assetto.PNG
    Assetto.PNG
    381.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Nvidia.PNG
    Nvidia.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
With last Nvidia drivers and v-sync turned off, with fixed 120 fps, and hyper threading turned off too, I have little or almost no stuttering on Assetto Corsa.
But it's not completely stable.
I think the problem have something to do with the i9 9900k processor.
I don't get any errors when I test it with programs like hwinfo64, Aida64, etc.
MAYBE this processor is too advanced for Assetto Corsa, what I don't understand is why I have similar problems with Assetto Corsa Competizione, that is a new game.
Or maybe the problem is the nvidia drivers not being completely developed for the RTX gpu cards, and some games have issues.
As i said before with a old computer with i7 6700k, and gtx 1080, no issues at all, whatever the options on nvidia panel or on the motherboard bios.

There's no such thing as a "processor too advanced." I and other I know have a 9900k that works fine in AC. RTX card drivers and GTX card drivers are the same thing. The RTX pieces only kick into effect once RTX is enabled. Otherwise, a 2080ti is a beefy 1080ti.

You might have damaged your chip from all the overheating and thermal issue you had when your shop didn't put your cooler on right.

Long thread U got going here. Just might add that around a month ago Windows pushed out an update which sent my Race Room, AC, ACC rF2, Project Cars 2................Should I go on? to do what is described here. After a week or two messing around cursing, pushing buttons, updating drivers and reinstalling MSI AB and the latest beta version of Riva I managed to get it acceptable but by no means was I 100% happy and still suffered the stutter however not in the 30 or 60 second dip cycles and 10% of what it was in severity. With RHM activated and a carefully choreographed jiggle of my head I was living with this infliction. Got boxed into the Windows update 1903 in past few days as I had been postponing it and now I am right back to square one even updated to latest Nvidia driver. In my case I know it was the update because my schedule was as follows sim>update>restart>sim disaster. The update was for 1809 but can't remember whether it was the security patch they pushed out in a screaming hurry or the one prior to that.

PS I could also put the video setting so low in AC it probably could run on MS DOS and other than visually it didn't make a scrap of difference.

It wasn't hard to discover I was not the only one suffering, various MS forums, Nvidia etc. This time I kind of notice it straight away since I only recently got the last debacle sorted so it was fresh on my mind. Microsoft did release a statement on the original KB4482887 for the previous release telling people to roll back. I pulled up some screenshots of MSI AB from other users both updates and they might have well been mine.

I get say around 85-90 fps with dips to 60. With Game Mode on(only to test) it will dip from 85-90 fps to 11. Originally I was getting good fps in all games > Anniversary update it dropped, temps up, stuttered quite a bit and once the MS were issues fixed was much better but not 100% livable with the occasional micro stutter. 1903 It all starts again.

1 Kunos car, Kunos track gives same result as 36 cars even using mods for the latter which are not always the most optimized products in the game.

This machine it is on now

Ryzen 5 2600
B350 F Strix
GTX 1060 6BG EX OC
EVGA 750w Gold + PSU
TG Dark Rog 32GB 3000 Mhz
Samsung SSD's

50" single monitor

Cooling is Deepcool Gamaxx RGB and it is in a Silverstone Redline RL06 Pro case which is like a wind tunnel and if I had of installed it on the PC next to it I reckon it would have added 10-15 degrees C + to my temps easy and that is Noctua CPU Cooler and full of Noctua fans but poss 60% less airflow going through the case.

I just noticed the micro stuttering when I changed for the new combo: CPU, GPU, MB and memories.
I think it was in March, April, 2019.
Windows did some updates at that time too, for the windows 1809 version that I had.
I had to install windows again because the MB was changed.
My friend had the windows 1803 version on his computer. He had no issues.
A few days ago I just installed the 1803 version that I have on a DVD and the problem persists even if I don't upgrade it to version 1809 or 1903.
Maybe I will try to do a fresh windows 7 installation and will see if the problem is there too.
In windows 10, i use the same windows key license on this motherboard, the one i used on the old motherboard.
I thought windows wouldn't accept it, but it does, so I didn't bought a new windows license as this one is validated by Microsoft.

Hi again people!
I'm still trying to solve my stuttering / ransom freeze problems!
Meanwhile i bought 3 Asus VG278QR, G-Sync compatible monitors that i want to mount on my cockpit.
So i intend to buy a RTX 2080 TI, but i am afraid that problem continues to persist.

Now i have a RTX 2070, i9 9900K at 4.7 GHz, and 32 GB or memory at 3000 MHz (XMP1 profile active in my Asus Rog Z390 E Gaming)

I tried everything to solve it:
All versions of Windows 10 since 1709, until the new 1909,
All versions of Nvidia drivers since 42.31 until the new one 455.87,
All versions of motherboard software and software,
All possible Nvidia panel combinations,
I used RTSS to capture the frames / frametime,
I used Nvidia Profile Inspector, for the same purpose,
I tried to play with BCDEDIT options,
I tried to disable full screen optimizations on game,
I tried to use CPU affinity on task manage,
I tried to prioritize Sim Racing games on task manager,
I finished all the other programs and unnecessary processes when playing,
I used Razer Cortex Game Booster,
I run all computer tests with AIDA64, OCCT and other programs with no problem reported at all on this programs.
ETC, ETC, ETC

I changed every component as i mentioned before in this thread, except the Corsair H100i water cooling system, and the computer case.
I don´t have any issues with CPU or GPU temperature, it don´t goes up then 70 C.
No luck at all until now

For example i like to play Rfactor 2 a lot.
I play with AI, a lot of AI cars, like 30 to 44 AI cars.
I play with high graphic definitions, as my GPU never reaches 100 per cent usage.
Some cores on my CPU sometimes reach 100 per cent, but on the global the CPU never reach 50 per cent usage, even with a lot of cars, i can see that with Rfactor 2 (Control C option), or with RTSS and MSI Afterburner.
When i play this way, but sometimes with much less cars, Rfactor 2 freezes for some tenths of a second, but that is sufficient to brake all the immersion. Sometimes, but not often it freeze for almost 1 second or more.
These are random freezes, sometimes i can play 5 laps on Portimão, Toban, etc, and have no great, other times it happen 5, 6, or more 5 laps.
Anyway the moving image is not perfect as i had in my previous system, it looks like it is always trembling ,nopt obnly in Rfactor 2 but in all mine Sim Racing games: RF2, ACC, AC.
I never had a single problem with my previous system with an i7 4770K at 4.2 GHz, GTX 1080 and 16 Gb of memory at 2133 Mhz, the image was always perfect, no stuttering or tearing at all on my LG 166 Hz G-Sync monitor.
It´s frustrating.

As i read some people complaining about the same problem as i am , i like to do some questions:

1- Is it normal this freezes on Rfactor 2?
2 - Is it normal in Rfactor 2 when AI cars have accidents that the image freezes too for some tenths of seconds?
3 - Is it normal this kind of freezes on all other Sim Racing games?
4 - Is it normal the trembling of the images, on G-Sync monitors, even at high fps?
5- What more can i do to solve this problem?

I will go to upload some images of "Latency Mon", for someone that understands the values see if there are something not normal on that values.
I ran "Latency Mon" for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
I didn't touch anything during that time.

Thanks on advance
João Miguel

l
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png
9.png