Stuttering on sim racing games!

Please remember this, when you get your PC back:

When you get it back, try if the 32 bit exe still runs fine compared to the 64 bit exe. It's really weird thing and if there would be a hardware problem, it would show with both.
If the 32 bit exe still runs better, it's a software issue!

Now they changed my board to a Asus Rog Strix Z 390 E gaming, and put a new processor , same model i9 9900K, the problems persist.
I am tweaking with Nvidia control panel, trying to perceive what are the best options there .
Until now, I can put it better tweaking there, but micro stuttering stills present.
I choose on the BIOS to put computer with memory XMP II profile and overclocked at 4.9 GHz. I don’t touch on voltages or energy options there. All automatic way.
I ll go to install new windows version 1903 from root and all the Asus controllers, then I ll go to install Nvidia Experience and last drivers and see joy it goes !

From hardware who eventually causes this issues it only can be:
Graphic card
Memory ( I had tested it during 2 hours with no errors with memtest86, with no issues)
Power supply ( Corsair RM750, already with 5 years)

Maybe this could de a software problem, but I installed everything, from different windows 10 versions to a serie of different Nvidia drivers and the problem persists).

Tomorrow a friend of me, will bring me his computer, we will go to swap graphic cards to see if it solve the problem and if my graphic card on his computer causes the same issues, he have a GTX 1070 or GTX 1070TI, I can’t remember).

I ll go to install Assetto Corsa on his computer first, to see how it goes there .

Thanks

I would think the !00 series of AIO cooler to be just a bit inadequate for a 9900k processor....maybe the 200 series.
For now... at least until the issue of stuttering is resolved, I would keep it all stock...no over-clock.

More bad luck now!
I experimented computer again with a different single 16Gb memory stick, problem persists.
Now Oculus Rift gives no image at startup, can't put it to function anymore, neither with windows new install. HDMI port still gives signal, I can see through it on my monitor.
I ll give up, can't figure out what's going on with this computer.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited:
Before you do

RESET bios and only change the bare basics for now

1. Disconnect modem/router
2. Disconnect all storage (including DVDs) except for Disk 0 ( C:\ )
3. Boot from 1903 on USB stick, delete all C:\ partitions then click next not new
4. Keep OS offline !
5. Install latest Nvidia driver
6. Go online let windows update chipset , audio, WMR etc ( just this time )

Test

Before you do

RESET bios and only change the bare basics for now

1. Disconnect modem/router
2. Disconnect all storage (including DVDs) except for Disk 0 ( C:\ )
3. Boot from 1903 on USB stick, delete all C:\ partitions then click next not new
4. Keep OS offline !
5. Install latest Nvidia driver
6. Go online let windows update chipset , audio, WMR etc ( just this time )

Test

Thanks!
I ve done all this several times, except the fact that I didn't disconnect the DVD, as I reinstall windows from there!
I already thought that I could have a virus or something like that on computer, but windows defender and super anti Spyware didn't find anything, and I put windows even running from the computer restart. Nothing was found.

Last night after a refressh install of Windows (version 1903), when palying Assetto Corsa on my 166 Hz monitor, at 100 Hz:
- 1) I get a blue screen (reading the code on microsoft, i dont reach any conclusion, as it says that can be a lot of things that provacate that blue screen, but essencially hardware fail, or not compatible hardware drivers);
- 2) After restarting windows, i played again, and maybe in 3rd lap, at SPA, with me playing with 23 AI cars, it freezes repeatedly, for 1 second, and then go on, 1 second and then go, and continued that way. The FPS didnt drop down, mantained near 100. Then i get out of Assetto Corsa, using ALT F4.

I have until next friday to send back the graphic card, i dont know if i should buy a new power suply, and test it before return the graphic card, the problem is that i have to pay it and its not cheap.

Have you tried uninstalling the GPU drivers with DDU, clean up software and registry with CCleaner, shut down and then physically remove the card from your system. Then test to see if Windows is stable without it?
If all seems ok without the GPU, download the latest drivers, shut down the PC, install the card and then install the latest drivers, choosing clean install and do not install nVidia Experience.
Then try running AC again.

Since this problem seems to be unsolvable:
I personally would do the following:
- install win 7 instead of 10 if that's possible. I ran into issues with win 10 on all of the 8 devices I ran it on.
And all were problems I've never had with win 7.
I'm now happy on win 10 with all devices but I would still do the check via win 7 in this case.

- does your cpu+mobo support the onboard gpu?
If so take out the gpu, plug the monitor into the onboard gpu and see if you get the same freezes etc. Ofc you'll have very low fps, maybe run with lowest resolution or very low settings but this would rule out or point to the gpu.

- send the gpu back. If it's the gpu, you lose maybe a bit of money for shipping and ordering a new one.
If it's your motherboard or something else, you might want to buy a cheaper gpu after you had to buy a new mobo.

At the moment it feels like either random win 10 issues, mobo fail or gpu.

Have you tried uninstalling the GPU drivers with DDU, clean up software and registry with CCleaner, shut down and then physically remove the card from your system. Then test to see if Windows is stable without it?
If all seems ok without the GPU, download the latest drivers, shut down the PC, install the card and then install the latest drivers, choosing clean install and do not install nVidia Experience.
Then try running AC again.

Yes I tried.
I have reinstalled everything several times.
Last Thursday I could play with oculus on computer. Then as I had a Portuguese windows 10 version 1809 installed and I want it in English, I reinstalled it with a DVD that I have taken from Microsoft site and I used with "old" computer with no issues.
The motherboard already have the windows pro activated, so no problem, when I installed it I put that I did not have a windows key, when windows starts up after install it recognizes the key of pro version that I think that is associated to the motherboard, and says it's activated.
The problem was that on oculus setup software when it asks to pass to the headset to finish the setup it gives me no image there.
Today on the store they tested the oculus rift on other computer and it worked with no issues.
Tomorrow I ll go to put the computer on the store for they test it again.
No logic on this issues, already changed board, memories and processor and the issues still there, and worst, the rift don't work anymore on my computer.
Next will be a power supply swap and if it continues with issues the graphic card will be returned and I will buy another one.

Since this problem seems to be unsolvable:
I personally would do the following:
- install win 7 instead of 10 if that's possible. I ran into issues with win 10 on all of the 8 devices I ran it on.
And all were problems I've never had with win 7.
I'm now happy on win 10 with all devices but I would still do the check via win 7 in this case.

- does your cpu+mobo support the onboard gpu?
If so take out the gpu, plug the monitor into the onboard gpu and see if you get the same freezes etc. Ofc you'll have very low fps, maybe run with lowest resolution or very low settings but this would rule out or point to the gpu.

- send the gpu back. If it's the gpu, you lose maybe a bit of money for shipping and ordering a new one.
If it's your motherboard or something else, you might want to buy a cheaper gpu after you had to buy a new mobo.

At the moment it feels like either random win 10 issues, mobo fail or gpu.

I just don't know what to say anymore!
No logic on all this fails!
Can't figure until now what's wrong!
The only thing I really know us that this computer was working fine before motherboard, memories, CPU and GPU upgrades. As I did all them at a once, trying to figured out what is wrong, revealed to be a hard task!

Hi

What do you mean by "send back the graphics card" ? How many cards did you try and all gave problems?
where do you live in PT ?

Hi

What do you mean by "send back the graphics card" ? How many cards did you try and all gave problems?
where do you live in PT ?

Hi!
I live in Portugal!
In first days I had this computer (upgraded) I had a RTX 2070, then I returned it to buy a RTX 2080TI.
I don't remember the RTX 2070 give me problems, but I heave it only for one or two days.
After that I tested an RTX 2080 in this computer and it did a lot of stuttering too, and that graphic card, that is from my friend Oscar works fine on his computer.

Hi!
I live in Portugal!
In first days I had this computer (upgraded) I had a RTX 2070, then I returned it to buy a RTX 2080TI.
I don't remember the RTX 2070 give me problems, but I heave it only for one or two days.
After that I tested an RTX 2080 in this computer and it did a lot of stuttering too, and that graphic card, that is from my friend Oscar works fine on his computer.

PSU is the same, Corsair RM750 with almost 5 years, never give me a problem with the old setup.
I have a new SSD M2 from Adata. I forgot that one was new on the new setup.
I tested it with userbenchmark with no problem, the only thing that reports at user benchmark that is not at outstanding level is the Kingston SSD, where I usually installed games, but I already installed games on the Adata M2 and the problem was not solved.
Today on the store they go to test it with a new Seasonic 850W PSU.

I've never head of a psu doing "strange things" like stuttering, freezing or bluescreens.
It's more a thing of either running or being dead. Especially with good quality PSUs you have so many protection levels, it wouldn't run "half faulty".

My bet is either the VR headset causing the issues (although said running with the monitor without VR was the same problem) or the motherboard is faulty.

My best bet is the mobo actually.. But it's the most difficult to swap... :(

Joao,

Before you give up I would try to analyze as systematic as possible going step by step and always only changing one part/setting at a time.

Here is what I would recommend:
  • Install the minimum required HW parts first (PSU, Motherboard, CPU&Cooler, Memory and one disk only). Try to use onboard graphic and install the GPU only later.
  • Reinstall the OS (would use Win10 64bit) on a fresh formated drive
  • Use LAN Cable if possible instead of WLAN
  • Try your game with low graphic settings
Start testing and see if you get any more freezing. In case of freezing check the temperature and verify your system is not overheating. If running hot try to limit the FPS in your game. As an example I am limiting my PC that could do about 200FPS in my favorite game AC to about 90FPS as that makes the system run very cool and provides sufficient capacity when running online with other people.

Once you are happy running the minimal config you can start adding components (one by one!) and increase the graphics settings.

Good luck in resolving your issue!

P.S.: Electric Power is stable in your area? If you have access to a UPS (like a small APC system) try to put that in front of your PC to rule out any power network related issues

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 365 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%