Sophia Floersch Survives Horror Macau Accident

Looking at the crash for quite a while now... and I wounder if the curb didnt save two drivers in this case. Otherwise it would be one car headlong (edit: no she is heading backwards during the crash) into the side pod of another car. Maybe she goes under the other car, or flips into the guard rail. It could have been a lot worse. As it was the curb get her into the air and out of the way of some hard hits.

No doubt something needs to change to the circuit. Maybe a chicane if the runoff cannot be increased... the long straight into a fairly slow corner with no runoff seems a bit much.
Though you could also say the curb also threw her over the fence into marshals and photographers that should be as removed from harm as possible. Tricky one.

Edit: Removed/retracted prior opinion about curbs after viewing additional angles. I honestly hadn't actively looked for additional footage after looking at just a couple of different views.

Last edited:
What always gets me, every time, is the massive amount of speed these things have. And when it goes uncontrolled I dont think any amount of protection will help.

Why put those sausages, why?

IN A STREET TRACK, as if it already didn't have walls close enough to the track. We had similar crashes at Spa (Raidillon) because of this stupid policy regarding track limits.

Glad she is stable, hopefully it will bring more safety developments to racing in general.

Why put those sausages, why?
My opinion (and only my opinion) is that a far more likely incident than Sophia’s would be a car turning in too early, bouncing off the Armco on the inside, and pancaking a car on the outside into the opposite barrier. The sausage curbs would obviously discourage this by keeping cars away from the inside Armco. I’m not saying that’s right or wrong. I’m just saying that may be the thinking behind the sausage curbs.

"Good God!" she was traveling fast before becoming airborne.
I couldn't believe the speed differential.
The sudden stop was what I was most concerned about.
Glad she survived that and hopefully will be back on the grid soon.
One tough chick to be tweeting so soon after that shunt.

These ugly tracks in countries that don't have the culture or the history in Motorsport racing should be banned and destroyed
There are plenty of amazing tracks in western world without going in these countries

I really hope that Sophia will recover soon and return to racing

Macau should be a touring car/GT only event. If there needs to be some kind of open wheel racing it shouldn't be done by young asprirants. Maybe this could be an opportunity for Formula E instead.

Wow was shocked when i saw the accident. Quite amazing no bystanders died, when this projectile was flying at over 200 kmh in to the photobooth.
Very happy to hear her spinal injury seems to be recoverable. It's a broken backbone but she not paralized.
So i expect she will recover quite fast, i think its even possible she will be racing again in a year or so.

Seems to me her throttle was stuck. From what I could tell, she was travelling twice the speed of all the other cars.
Wow! looked more like her car was traveling at least 3x quicker than the other cars and my 1st thought was a stuck throttle , otherwise how can get to be so much faster than other cars.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back