Sophia Floersch Survives Horror Macau Accident

Just found this image online. Very lucky lady to survive. The roll hoop and cockpit foam did it's job but the car is destroyed. As others have mentioned if she'd gone in forward she wouldn't be here or could have suffered terrible leg injuries. I would imagine the spinal injuries are more due to the sudden deceleration. Surprised she hasn't got hip injuries as well.

Are those metal forks holding the tyre barriers back? I know there's a cover over the front but who came up with that stupid idea..

15425324895282.jpg

The Photograper Pen was solid Armco, a very lucky driver.

ef07fdf0-eb08-11e8-bfde-9434090d4df7_1280x720_162436.jpg

Hope she's 100% soon :)

Are those metal forks holding the tyre barriers back? I know there's a cover over the front but who came up with that stupid idea..

Hard to tell from the image but I would guess they are fiber/nylon type webbing used to strap the crush-able barrier (tires, foam) firmly to the armco.

Edit: Oh on closer inspection you can see the ratchet devices on the back side of the armco.

download.jpg

My opinion (and only my opinion) is that a far more likely incident than Sophia’s would be a car turning in too early, bouncing off the Armco on the inside, and pancaking a car on the outside into the opposite barrier. The sausage curbs would obviously discourage this by keeping cars away from the inside Armco. I’m not saying that’s right or wrong. I’m just saying that may be the thinking behind the sausage curbs.
I get it, but cars crashing into armcos are a far more predictable scenario which the cars are designed to keep the driver safe. A flying car isn't predictable at all

actual footage of the contact leading to the crash, just as the drivers who were behind here said: contact due to unexpected braking and a passenger from that point

All I keep thinking is why bother with that extra sausage kerb, what a stupid idea on a street track.

The FIA many years ago lowered kerbs to stop cars flying and then we put in launch ramps like that.

The downforce was more or less keeping the car down on the track until that point.

Last edited:
From ESPN:
We are extremely happy that she is now recovering and that everything went extremely well. There's no fear of paralysis whatsoever."
She will remain in hospital for another two weeks after the surgery.
Floersch's car hit an area populated with photographers and race marshals, and four others were sent to hospital with Floersch. Tsuboi was sent for lumbar pain but was discharged on Sunday.
An injured marshal, Chan Cha In, suffered a laceration of the face and a fractured jaw. Two photographers at the corner were also taken to hospital -- Chan Weng Wang sustained a liver laceration and is expected to remain in hospital for another 10 days, while Hiroyuki Minami suffered a concussion and has since been released.

I do, and My post wasn't specifically directed at you, you were just the most recent that mentioned the deal with it comment so I quoted it.
Ok but you said it's stupid, i think the other guy was also trying to say the same thing as me.

People were saying that "they shouldn't be racing at Macau because it's dangerous." "Racing is dangerous, deal with it" means that ANY circuit is dangerous. That's not stupid.

And it doesn't mean you should stop to talk about it or discuss what could be done to improve safety.

Last edited:
Someone breaked "unexpected" infront of a corner..
this actually happened. There was a wrong yellow flag warning and the guy ahead of her braked ealier because of that.

Ferrari junior Guan Yu Zhou, who was following Floersch at the time of the accident, explained that it was due to yellow caution lights flashing on the straight.

“Coming after Mandarin [the preceding right-hand kink], I saw the yellow, but I think it was just a mistake by the organisers’ station.

“Sophia was really close to Jehan, so when Jehan braked early she had no time to react."
https://www.motorsport.com/f3/news/floersch-spinal-fracture-macau-injury-report/3216291/

Still horrific to see a youth friend involved in such an accident... the moment I saw the 25 looking through the fence was such a shock for me. I still have this picture in my head, although I know that everything will be good again... but I'm still shocked and can't get this picture of my head. We have been together and good friends in Kindergarten and primary school and then our ways seperated. Met her after nearly 9 years at Spa this year and we had a bit of a chat, but her schedule was tight. Really would've liked to talk to her longer, but hope we will meet again soon. Wouldn't managed anything with her gone... Thank god it all went well at the end. But this picture will stay in my head, maybe forever.

A colleague smashed his car with 120 km/h into a stillstabding van. His car was completely destroyed: engineblock was ripped out. He, nor the person in the van, had any injuries except for some bruises.
On the other side a friend died while he was on his bike with 10km/h his front wheel grabbed his shopping bag: fell with his head onto a concrete block and went straight to heaven. Life is Russian roulette and im glad to read Sophia us okay..

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.