• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Site and download very slow

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Support' started by cruz755, Nov 12, 2018.

1. cruz755

cruz755

Ratings:
    +1
    Now i'm logged in with chrome.

2. Neilski

Neilski
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +702
    Hopefully your download speeds are now more sensible, while in Chrome?

3. cruz755

cruz755

Ratings:
    +1
    No way, 1 minute to open a download page and impossible surf the forum until i close the download page that keep loading... 25kB/s is the max download speed on all the site. I must use opera with proxy or tor browser.

4. Neilski

Neilski
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +702
    Well I'm afraid I'm totally baffled about what's going on. Dave may still have a clue, but your ISP really should be able to offer you some support about the poor speed for this site relative to others.

5. cruz755

cruz755

Ratings:
    +1
    I explained the problem to my ISP but the technicians who answer are not able to solve a problem. Everything is fine for them and the problem does not depend on them. I have no chance to change isp since it is the only one that provides the service in the open country where I live.
    The problem has been around for about a year.

6. Paul Glover

Paul Glover
    RaceDepartment Social Media Manager & Podcast Host Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,246
    I know it's frustrating but if the site was the issue we would have multiple complaints, the challenge here is for your ISP to take it seriously you'll likely have to raise a formal complaint.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Guybrush Threepwood

Guybrush Threepwood

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also getting max d/l speed of 25 kb/s from RaceDepartment. Everything else I d/l is at ~ 6MBps. I have a stable 50 Mbps connection.
    Any tips?

8. Neilski

Neilski
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +702
    Thanks for the report. I think the advice above is still the best way forward though - please notify your ISP that you're having a speed issue with our site and ask them if they can help. They ought to be able to shed some light on the cause. At present, the vast majority of our members appear to be unaffected by this kind of problem and we have no understanding of the cause for those who are affected. Sorry...

9. odcologne

odcologne

Ratings:
    +0
    don't waste ya time contacting your ISP ...it must be a dns thing ...try searching 'change dns' you'll work it out from there....

10. Neilski

Neilski
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +702
    Huh? How would a DNS issue cause slow download speeds?

11. odcologne

odcologne

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert m8 , but when I get slow dl issues (from different game launchers like Origin) I have learned to try differnt dns configs ...and usually I get a result ...and when dl has finifshed then I change it back to google dns (9.9.9.9) for normal web browsing....look up some tutorials maybe ....

12. Neilski

Neilski
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +702
    I think you misunderstand how DNS works: it's the way that systems turn names like www.racedepartment.com into numeric internet addresses like 1.2.3.4. DNS either works or it doesn't. If it works, you get the address, you connect and you get whatever speed you get. If it doesn't work you don't even make a connection. Improving your DNS server can only make a difference to whether or not you make a connection; it can't have any influence over the speed of a download.

13. jubbajubba

jubbajubba

Ratings:
    +0
    Wrong.

14. Neilski

Neilski
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +702
    Hmm. Not sure if you're trolling, or you genuinely don't understand. :O_o:
    Just in case you're not trolling: once the download starts, the DNS is irrelevant. Furthermore, given that all of our downloads are hosted on our site, the DNS lookup will already be cached anyway, since you will be clicking on the download link from a download page on this site. So you don't even have the marginal effect of a few tens of milliseconds of DNS lookup to worry about - the download request can be made immediately.

• Beer Beer x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.