SIMUCUBE Direct Drive Wheel With Electronics Integrated Into The Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

From what I understood it requires 3V battery that accordingly to Carsten weighs just a few grams.
Expected something like this.
41AKORBTIfL._SX522_.jpg

Not two chunky and heavy AA batteries adding to wheel rotating mass, and probably slinging out of that compartment when wheel spins fast enough.

Upvote 0
From what I understood it requires 3V battery that accordingly to Carsten weighs just a few grams.
Expected something like this.
41AKORBTIfL._SX522_.jpg

Not two chunky and heavy AA batteries adding to wheel rotating mass, and probably slinging out of that compartment when wheel spins fast enough.
Yea, that battery compartment and lid will need to be held down pretty well. Looks like those AA batteries are wired in series which would give 3 volts.

I think I could live with it but it is an inelegant solution.

Upvote 0
What's the point with wireless steering wheels and having to complicate things with finding a place to store the batteries, remembering to replace them, lag, interferences, etc. Real racing cars have coiled cables and nobody complains.

Upvote 0
What's the point with wireless steering wheels and having to complicate things with finding a place to store the batteries, remembering to replace them, lag, interferences, etc. Real racing cars have coiled cables and nobody complains.
But, does a failed cable cause their race to lock up, their FFB to stop? Failed button-box cables can be a literal game-changer. I've gone through at least, a half a dozen cables over the last year or so. Sometimes, the wiring breaks inside, sometimes the connectors move enough to lose connection, sometimes the cable gets tangled around a paddle-shifter, etc. A reliable wireless solution would be really nice to have. :)

Upvote 0
Looks like Fanatec got that part right. Their wireless connection should be reliable and no batteries are required. I suspect that there will be a mixed bag between the two solutions by the time all is said and done. No batteries no cables, but a cooling fan is required.

Eventually we will all have a Pros and Cons list and just have to decide which parts we care the most about.

Upvote 0
Let's admit it: after the release of the new generation of direct drive steering wheels (Fanatec, Simucube 2, Accuforce 2...), older devices will be considered obsolete, maybe not useless pieces of junk to be ashamed of, but just decent entry-level hardware for users who cannot afford the best. Owners of all those old models will no longer be premium and they all must be segregated from the real elite, who will look at them from above with a feeling of superiority. Users of old direct drive wheels will never experience the glorious new sensations provided by the most advanced technology, years ahead of the fake and dull simulation from the past. But we must also be merciful with those stuck in the old days, because we know how they feel after throwing away 1000 € in what was supposed to be the ultimate steering wheel, something to last forever, but now no longer the pride of their cockpits. We must encourage them to move on, to forget the past and their old technology and upgrade in a quantum leap to the future of simulation.
I agree 100%. I urge anyone who does not have the latest and greatest dd wheel to upgrade everything right now. Then contact me personally and I promise to get rid of that nasty old direct drive junk tech at an unbelievably low cost no questions asked.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

BTW, this is not based on new SC2 wireless technology, just regular BT wheel, same things that were done for years by some modders. I had one at some point. From what I remember GD mentioned quarter size Lithium batteries for new system.

https://forum.virtualracing.org/showthread.php/100697-Simucube?p=2467187&viewfull=1#post2467187

EDIT: May be it is, not sure.
It is Simucube wireless, Mika confirmed that.
https://forum.virtualracing.org/sho...-pre-release?p=2467595&viewfull=1#post2467595
Man, hope Ascher wheel uses better batteries and placement.

Upvote 0
Hardware-wise, I don't think it's much different aside from the BT button-box support option, and cleaner package with some possible reduced latency (significant?) but, GD are saying that SimuCube2 will get some features via Firmware that won't work with version-1 systems; what those are, we don't yet know.

Going forward, I think there may be some pressure mounting for SimXperience to update their FFB-system offerings. Of course, SimXperience may just let them (SimuCube and Fanatec) have it and instead, focus on their motion and tactile business. Or, they may be watching to see what is soon revealed and adapt their upgrade strategy based on the results. There are subtle hints that SimX may be working on something FFB-related but, it may just be experimental research.
More and better interpolation filters, because the new controller board has more power.

Upvote 0
More and better interpolation filters, because the new controller board has more power.
I wonder how much they can do with filters though. I expect some minor improvements in wheel response but, without some "outside the box" features, I'm not convinced SC2 is going to be worth the cost to upgrade for SC1 users. Telemetry-based effects are what could make a real difference in some titles.

I do think GD's approach to separating the Basic / Advanced tuning settings is a good one as there seems to be a lot of people that want to have the "easy button" when it comes to FFB and they don't want as much detail.

Some in the iRacing forums are asking about the possibility of SimXperience bringing out a new DD-wheel to compete with the Podium & SC2. While SimX hasn't responded, they also haven't denied anything either, so that's something I'll be watching for.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

While AF enjoying telemetey based FFB exlusivity, there is a guy on Emuwheel discord who has made universal, wheel agnostic driver running off FM7 telemetry.
Done this way the solution doesn"t have to be married to specific manufacturer.

I believe SC has quite an advantage over Podium for iRacing users using their recon filter to upsample 60hz FFB.

Upvote 0
While AF enjoying telemetey based FFB exlusivity, there is a guy on Emuwheel discord who has made universal, wheel agnostic driver running off FM7 telemetry.
Done this way the solution doesn"t have to be married to specific manufacturer.

I believe SC has quite an advantage over Podium for iRacing users using their recon filter to upsample 60hz FFB.
I'd love to see a universal solution for telemetry-based effects for use with any wheel brand. I don't think it could be a successful commercial venture by any means but, we do see some very creative and effective solutions being applied to motion and tactile effects around the DIY community.

I get better results in iRacing using the AccuForce (SC4 ffb) than with the SimuCube and irffb. More processing power may help but, Mika said that GD has a telemetry reader working in a version of SC2 firmware. That may be the key but, I suspect it will only be useful for SC2 and iRacing.

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 112 88.9%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 47 37.3%