SIMUCUBE Direct Drive Wheel With Electronics Integrated Into The Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
izpra6tane.png

SIMUCUBE Just to prevent some misconceptions: we have shipped first units (in first-in, first-out princible of course). Not all pre-ordered units are yet shipped, we're running production at full capacity to ship them all ASAP. More updates of the topic will follow.

Upvote 0
I was disappointed when I saw the SRC quick release, knowing that it doesn't fit the larger shaft of the Simucube 2.

Then Barry said that he would be changing it out with another quick release that'll be shown in an upcoming video. He chose not to show it in this video and that's unusual.

The silver band around the motor case in the picture from @super_gt seals the deal.

Hurry up with that next video, Mr. Rowland! :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Barry also have F28-SC Simucube 2 wireless wheel from Martin Ascher:
(skip ahead to 32:45)

Looks good. Thanks for posting the video.

I've been keeping my eye out for the F64 (USB or SC) to be released but I'm thinking I might pass out when the price is announced. My guess is that it'll be priced somewhere around 1k :confused:

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Some concerning post from new Ascher wheel owner
The connection strength is unfortunately never more than 50 percent according to the software, which causes me some concern. For, in fact, switching operations sometimes do not arrive at all or are delayed. Maybe I have to contact Martin Asher again.

Upvote 0
Looks solid and there is obvious quality throughout.

The two main issues for me are:

1. Mounting the power supplies on my mobile rig would be ugly as HELL. The power cables aren't even remotely long enough for me to stow them out of sight under my pedals and there are 2 of them! That means they would both be in plane sight on the left and right upright supports for my wheelbase. I really don't like this at all. It's extremely limiting and may be a deal breaker for me by itself.

Edit: Would it be safe to extend those power cables?

2. I'll need to see how the BT works in the field for a few of you guys. I'm still not sold on it.

It was unfortunate that he felt dropping the new static force setting was unnatural and didn't feel right. Maybe that is just when it is reduced past a point. Like anything new, I guess people will need to figure out how to use it and the software will evolve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great review from Barry as always. Sleek setup and the quick release is very slick with the ball bearing. I expect the software to evolve quickly (already has).

Not sure I can justify an upgrade from my OSW but look forward to getting some of the filters on SC1. As expected, it'll remain the top class of DD wheels. I hope that end was a teaser from Barry getting a SC2 Ultimate to test!

Barry is quite right that FFB in many games is so poor that high end wheels like this are just sitting there being choked by poor implementations. As DD wheels become more popular, hopefully future games will take their existence into account and not just limit their development to entry and mid range units.

The Ascher wheel and SC2 combo aesthetically looks so high end compared to my OSW setup haha.

Upvote 0
I'm still trying to figure out some of the inrunner vs. outrunner debate issues.

Typically inrunners are more efficient than outrunners, BUT they require gear reduction and get their efficiency at higher speeds. At 0 rpm an outrunner has more torque, so for this application, it may be that Fanatec's chosen power supplies that Granite said were not up to snuff are perfectly adequate pushing an outrunner motor.

While I know and trust Maxwell PS's, I wouldn't necessarily write off the PSU that Fanatec chose. Both companies have talking points that sound good and that paint themselves as superior.

I'm taking everything said by both with a grain of salt. Time will tell.

All that said, I can't deny that the SimCube 2 looks high end through and through.

Now investigating buying/building extension cables that might make this easier to deal with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks solid and there is obvious quality throughout.

The two main issues for me are:

1. Mounting the power supplies on my mobile rig would be ugly as HELL. The power cables aren't even remotely long enough for me to stow them out of sight under my pedals and there are 2 of them! That means they would both be in plane sight on the left and right upright supports for my wheelbase. I really don't like this at all. It's extremely limiting and may be a deal breaker for me by itself.

Edit: Would it be safe to extend those power cables?

2. I'll need to see how the BT works in the field for a few of you guys. I'm still not sold on it.

It was unfortunate that he felt dropping the new static force setting was unnatural and didn't feel right. Maybe that is just when it is reduced past a point. Like anything new, I guess people will need to figure out how to use it and the software will evolve.

Granite Devices are in the process of ordering in some extensions cables to test out and they might move onto manufacturing their own if it come to it.

The original ones are about a metre too short and they only just make it to the ground so they could do with extending for sure because as it stands you would be forced to mount them to the rig if you have a motion system. If you look carefully, you'll see them to the right of my rig
20190615_154517.jpg
that's as far away as I can get them.

In regards to the SC2, I've just put my first hour into it. It's as smooth as silk but I can't say much more than that as I'm having a rough time trying to get R3E feeling realistic to me. I have no doubts about the SC2 itself and it's more a case of me needing to work out the best balance of in game and True Drive settings. There isn't much in the way of baseline settings to refer to and that where Fanatec are in front at the moment.

I need more time with it but I'm sure it's going to be really good :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 425 69.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 266 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 285 46.4%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 126 20.5%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.4%
Back