SIMUCUBE Direct Drive Wheel With Electronics Integrated Into The Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I will give SC2 credit, their wheel side adapters work very well. I got a wheel with a 37mm dish and it matches the plane of my PSE GT3 wheel within a few mm.

SC2connector.jpg

I think this Momo 330mm wheel will be great for rally use. It bolted right up to the 70mm adapter plate and feels great. I'll try it out tomorrow. I've ordered some proper countersunk bolts that I'll install when they get here on Saturday. M5 x 16mm countersunk should work.

I did some dremel work cutting most of the horn mechanism away so I could fit it back in the center to finish it off.

rallywheel_4392.jpg

Upvote 0
Interesting stories coming my way because I made these comments.

A guy told me that he permanently damaged his right arm with a 18Nm SC1. He has some titanium helping to hold it together now.

Boo boos....

He's not the only one I've heard from either, just the most serious. From another injured guy never wrap your thumbs through the steering wheel. From multiple people if you are about to crash get your hands away from the wheel fast!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BTW all of those people injured are still using direct drive steering wheels. They've just pulled back the power and/or are very careful not to do certain things anymore.

I'm going to guess that with the VERY SUDDEN increase in the number of direct drive steering wheels out there that we are going to see more of this.

While we are talking about boo boos...

This is me after a very close call with a large RC Helicopter in 2013. I was extremely lucky! A couple guys died that year from RC Helicopter incidents flying too close with 700 series helicopters and yes I kept flying. So obviously I was very much into the hobby. I now maintain a lot more space between me and my heli while flying and I don't put myself in certain positions at all anymore. So I'm not going to say these guys are crazy for continuing to use direct drive wheels. If this is their thing, than more power to them.
ouch2.jpg

This is a more recent picture that shows me with the heli that got me. I've rebuilt it twice since then and it is hanging on the wall in front of me as I type this. It's actually my favorite of my 5 helis. I have bigger and faster, but I love the way it flies.
MarkTDR8x10b.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I still have an old Xcell Gasser. No way the DD's are more dangerous than that thing. It's like a flying Stil chainsaw. I lost a tail blade once and almost chopped off my head!

Rather have a broke wrist that a carbon blade to the forehead at 2000RPM!

Upvote 0
BTW all of those people injured are still using direct drive steering wheels. They've just pulled back the power and/or are very careful not to do certain things anymore.

I'm going to guess that with the VERY SUDDEN increase in the number of direct drive steering wheels out there that we are going to see more of this.

While we are talking about boo boos...

This is me after a very close call with a large RC Helicopter in 2013. I was extremely lucky! A couple guys died that year from RC Helicopter incidents flying too close with 700 series helicopters and yes I kept flying. So obviously I was very much into the hobby. I now maintain a lot more space between me and my heli while flying and I don't put myself in certain positions at all anymore. So I'm not going to say these guys are crazy for continuing to use direct drive wheels. If this is their thing, than more power to them.
View attachment 331287

This is a more recent picture that shows me with the heli that got me. I've rebuilt it twice since then and it is hanging on the wall in front of me as I type this. It's actually my favorite of my 5 helis. I have bigger and faster, but I love the way it flies.
View attachment 331291

Wow that's a pretty gnarly injury! Was that a rotor to the arm I guess? I know nothing about RC helicopters, but I've noticed that helicopter in your profile pic before; I had drastically underestimated the scale until the picture of you holding it.

Upvote 0
Wow that's a pretty gnarly injury! Was that a rotor to the arm I guess? I know nothing about RC helicopters, but I've noticed that helicopter in your profile pic before; I had drastically underestimated the scale until the picture of you holding it.

I was amazingly lucky. The helicopter was on knife edge coming towards me when the sun came out behind the clouds right behind it and blinded me. I paused a split second and gave it full negative collective to push it as far away as I could. My arm is the result of being "bitch slapped" by the back edge of the blades. If I got the leading edge or the blade tip it would have been messy. At a minimum my arm would have shattered.

These things are pretty powerful. The motor in the heli below is rated for 10kW. This is being powered up in three steps, but only to about 60% power and a head speed of about 2,000 rpm. You typically do this on the bench to check for vibrations and then use graphs generated by the FBL controller's accelerometer to help narrow down issues. I never ran this heli above 2400 rpm, but in speed competitions 2700 rpm was the norm and the 5mm bolts holding the blades have about 1 ton of force pulling on them.

Upvote 0
The point I'm making is that I get it and even sympathize with it. For people passionate about sim racing the risk factor is completely acceptable. Accidents happen and people sometimes get injured.

Upvote 0
FYI that Rally Wheel is working beautifully. It feels great in my hands and it just so happens that the Audi Rally B car I tested it out with in Dirt Rally 2.0 has what looks like an identical wheel in game.

Upvote 0
I'm currently running the settings of Steliyan Chepilevski in iRacing and they feel pretty good The app.ini file changes in iRacing were minimal. I compared the text file settings directly and only brought over those having to do with force feedback. They follow a metric I've seen a lot. 70 / 25Nm in iRacing and 100% power in SimuCube software. There were other changes for both the SimuCube and iRacing for bump stop settings. Maybe they are involved in collisions. I'm not sure.

Upvote 0
Interesting stories coming my way because I made these comments.

A guy told me that he permanently damaged his right arm with a 18Nm SC1. He has some titanium helping to hold it together now.

Boo boos....

He's not the only one I've heard from either, just the most serious. From another injured guy never wrap your thumbs through the steering wheel. From multiple people if you are about to crash get your hands away from the wheel fast!

Sorry if I've not made myself clear, I'm not an english native speaker. I seriously damaged my arm in a motorbyke accident, not with my sim wheel. Despite it I'm still able to drive the SC1 from medium to high torque values without running into physical issues nor be intimidated by it (I only slightly hurt a wrist once in an year of use) nor loosing speed. Just in real life racing let go your rim when you're approaching a wall. My intent is to encourage those who are experiencing an underwhelming feeling which prevents to fully enjoy driving with these lovely devices. Don't give up. Play it safe.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification.

Sorry for getting things wrong.

I've gotten stiff admonishment that it is my responsibility to take my hands of the f'n wheel when I'm about to crash just like a real car.

Just glad I don't have to feel a full on wreck if I roll the car :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification.

Sorry for getting things wrong.

I've gotten stiff admonishment that it is my responsibility to take my hands of the f'n wheel when I'm about to crash just like a real car.

Just glad I don't have to feel a full on wreck if I roll the car :)
Lol, you're welcome man, not a problem with me. Enjoy.

Upvote 0
I didn't think it could feel any better, but it does.

I just got my very first taste of the SC2 with stock iRacing settings and my initial reaction is that the changes are very subtle, but unlike my CS2.5 it doesn't start bouncing when I take my hands off the wheel. I suspect as I get things dialed in I'll notice the differences more.

View attachment 326118
What model wheel is this one ?
I just got mine but cant work out why the buttons do not glow on it,
mine look same as yours GT3 with the Enduro stickers,
is yours the wireless version or standard GT3 version or is there a way to turn them on and off the LED?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back