SIMUCUBE Direct Drive Wheel With Electronics Integrated Into The Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Out runner motors on RC helis can get very hot, but also are capable of 10kW+ peaks and are relatively tiny compared to DD drives and get most of their torque though gear reduction. RC helis also have natural ventilation and the motors are spinning very fast so sometime the out runners have slight fans built into them to push air through them. The magnets and stators are typically designed to handle temperatures of up to around 150-210C which would burn the crap out of you if you touched them. I've never hit a temp like that.

Fanatec is likely not using that same heat level of magnet and stator material because they have internal parts that would melt or be destroyed at those temperatures. One guy said his DD2 was staying steady at 52C so it appears they are staying pretty cool with their active cooling.

And yes, that is a potential failure point.

Upvote 0
Stupid question but do these wheels offer connectors/inputs to connect generic pedals/shifters/axis&buttons, or does this need additional USB hardware? As IF I bite on a wheel like that anytime soon, I'd like to keep my DIYed pedals and shifter..

Upvote 0
Stupid question but do these wheels offer connectors/inputs to connect generic pedals/shifters/axis&buttons, or does this need additional USB hardware? As IF I bite on a wheel like that anytime soon, I'd like to keep my DIYed pedals and shifter..

A part of Simucube2 will be the ability to add accessories to the SC2 system. However, you can run anything you want pedals/buttonboxes/wheels as separate usb connections similar to how OSW systems work.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Tommi from GD gave pretty interesting technical insight on why SC can use passive and Fanatec requires active motor cooling.
https://community.granitedevices.co...tor-simucube-developers-will-find-out/2219/66
Always wondered that myself as my Mige (also inrunner) does not even get lukewarm under load.
Beano posted more information on inrunner vs outrunner design choice for SC2, if anyone interested in technical details like this.
https://community.granitedevices.co...tor-simucube-developers-will-find-out/2219/71

Also some techno eye candy here, Beano is also getting Pro version and will be carrying out comparison against Ultimate that he has been testing for a few weeks already and his Podium DD2.
(For anyone wondering, this is not standard MW UHP-500-24, but custom PSU based on it).

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

That should really ease your mind on bias thing.
I've known this guy since 2015 when I got my Argon OSW package.
Gosh, it has been 4 years already, still running as strong as on day one, better actually.

Upvote 0
Let's admit it: after the release of the new generation of direct drive steering wheels (Fanatec, Simucube 2, Accuforce 2...), older devices will be considered obsolete, maybe not useless pieces of junk to be ashamed of, but just decent entry-level hardware for users who cannot afford the best. Owners of all those old models will no longer be premium and they all must be segregated from the real elite, who will look at them from above with a feeling of superiority. Users of old direct drive wheels will never experience the glorious new sensations provided by the most advanced technology, years ahead of the fake and dull simulation from the past. But we must also be merciful with those stuck in the old days, because we know how they feel after throwing away 1000 € in what was supposed to be the ultimate steering wheel, something to last forever, but now no longer the pride of their cockpits. We must encourage them to move on, to forget the past and their old technology and upgrade in a quantum leap to the future of simulation.

Upvote 0
I've never seen a better description of "Upgraditis" before.

It is NEVER healthy to associate your self worth with how proud you are of something you own.
It is never healthy to try push people into buying something.

Debating the relative merits of equipment you have a personal interest in is one thing, but that is purely for information.

Now if this is the center of your life and as an enthusiast you feel that you need to constantly upgrade your system and it is not a financial hardship, go for it. It's your money and your passion.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I was expecting something more elegant in batteries department. Weird choice here, wrong on all accounts I'd say.
upload_2019-5-7_8-50-49.png

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Simtech Racing (UK based) have just released a wireless wheel for the Simucube 2:

https://www.simtechracing.co.uk/web-shop/wireless-wheels/?Page_ID=3610&refpid=83177&id=785179
BTW, this is not based on new SC2 wireless technology, just regular BT wheel, same things that were done for years by some modders. I had one at some point. From what I remember GD mentioned quarter size Lithium batteries for new system.

https://forum.virtualracing.org/showthread.php/100697-Simucube?p=2467187&viewfull=1#post2467187

EDIT: May be it is, not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
BTW, this is not based on new SC2 wireless technology, just regular BT wheel, same things that were done for years by some modders. I had one at some point. From what I remember GD mentioned quarter size Lithium batteries for new system.

https://forum.virtualracing.org/showthread.php/100697-Simucube?p=2467187&viewfull=1#post2467187

EDIT: May be it is, not sure.

I don't know for sure but I would be surprised if it wasn't using the new wireless board. When I last spoke to Jed at Simtech, he was planning to work with the new boards although as you say, they were supposed to be running off of a small cell type battery.

Forgot to add.... Maybe doing it this way will give lots more life and ease of battery changes so that the user wouldn't have to go in and open up the button box?

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 113 88.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 47 36.7%