SIMUCUBE Direct Drive Wheel With Electronics Integrated Into The Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
At that price point...not for many it is:(

Fair enough, and as a VR user, I will always have little use for pretty displays like it has. However it is beautiful and an option that isn't available for a Fanatec wheel base. Precision Sim Engineering is catering to a much smaller market. Once again this is a company that has focused on the pro market and decided to make a product available to the public.

GD seems to understand this which is the reason it is releasing an offering to go head to head with Leo Bodnar. They are making sure to establish a foothold in the premium product space.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Ultimate will be more in direct competition with SSW2, as price, warranty (5 years), and features clearly indicate enterprise oriented product. Fanatec just does not have matching counterpart in their lineup
For the rest of us, mere mortals, Pro sounds like a ticket, it is also direct competitor to DD2.
I am honestly not sure why they bother to have Sport, the price gap with Pro is not that great but it lacks on power and features.
upload_2019-4-8_10-51-38.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
The Ultimate seems to be where they put their main effort to differentiate themselves in the market and it is a smart marketing move to go up market to a higher price point, which also helps them make Fanatec look mid-tier.

If I were picking one I would likely go for the Pro model, but the twin power supplies seem clunky. It doesn't come with the "premium" power switch or 5 year warranty that the DD2 have, and it's obvious that their additional processing is only available on the Ultimate.

It also doesn't look like there are upgrades for the Pro to give it the new processing. When you combine that with their Fanatec QR only being compatible with what will shortly only be used rims and it becomes a harder sell.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping that I've gotten enough feedback to be comfortable buying this summer, but I'm not going to rush a purchase. Time will tell and I'm still enjoying what I've got right now which is all that matters :)

Upvote 0
A Fanatec QR is still usable on other rims, that are not Fanatec. You just need the correct hole pattern / size and a spacer if that doesn't match. While I am not a fan of it personally (seems not very smooth and is hard to remove some of the rims, especially without a little grease in there) it's still a QR option and you can buy the rim side from them for any new rims you buy, OR, just swap one you already have onto it.

Upvote 0
I’m in the wait and see camp when it comes to software, hardware support for the rumble motors on the V3 pedals was/is hardly great so all the talk of how great dev support is for Fanatec gear to me is nonsense at this point, having default profiles doesn’t mean anything especially when you consider how different everyone’s settings can be.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Hands on video review of Pro model. Unfortunately in the "language of love" that I don't speak. :)

Upvote 0
I don't trust this guy. Selling SC2 is his business. Appeared out of nowhere and took over the SimuCUBE thread in the German Virtual Racing Forum with his self advertising.

And btw my SimuCUBE doesn't have this "significant cogging/ripple" effect that he mentions regarding the SC1. Everything smooth even without using filters.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I agree, thus cautious emoji in my post.
Still better than nothing, GD is not as good as Fanatec with marketing (SimRacingGirl :whistling:)
Hope the software will change, looks awful and not average Joe friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Wonder when SC1 users get that firmware upgrade that's been nigh on 6 months in the making? I don't need an improvement to my wheel base but it's nice to get improvements regularly. Every time I had a firmware upgrade on the CSW it was slightly better each time. My OSW feels amazing but it's been stuck at not yet released for AGES...

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Wonder when SC1 users get that firmware upgrade that's been nigh on 6 months in the making? I don't need an improvement to my wheel base but it's nice to get improvements regularly. Every time I had a firmware upgrade on the CSW it was slightly better each time. My OSW feels amazing but it's been stuck at not yet released for AGES...
It might take a while, I guess.
upload_2019-4-21_22-38-59.png

Upvote 0
Hands on video review of Pro model. Unfortunately in the "language of love" that I don't speak. :)
Interestingly, in a comment under this video, the guy says the same thing:
''I can already say that it's really good, the double electronic part allows to have a torque always powerful (Nm) but much more precise and soft, less "gross" than the older generations of direct drive''
Показване на по-малко

Upvote 0
Yeah, definitely need (un-biasedTM) user-reviews, not sales pitches. I can imagine some improvement coming from the controller-processing improvements and the Static Torque Reduction seems like a useful setting but, I feel like the overall tangible improvement in FFB is still likely to be fairly subtle, especially when weighed against the overall cost to upgrade again.

Still, interesting development to keep an eye on and see how this DD-line stacks up against the Fanatec Podium series.

Of course, if game developers sell us FFB that is dumbed down and sold as being "more realistic", how useful is a smoother ffb-system really going to be(?)

Upvote 0
I'm curious about the extra processing power on their most expensive model. Has processing power been a bottleneck in the past? I have no idea. Unfortunately when you are operating from a point of ignorance, it's hard to tell if this extra processing power is for marketing differentiation or has a real impact.

In support blogs have they ever made comments around running out of bandwidth or needing more processing power to implement something?

Creating an exclusive feature list is a marketing exercise to be sure, but what's there for show and what really matters?

To be fair this is a hard situation because when you are selling something new, you also get the added burden of explaining why this something new matters. It may be a resource for future developments that are underway. If so maybe they could explain what they will be doing with it over time.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea