Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Hello All
Just got into sim racing this past month and a little intimidated by the great rigs I'm seeing here but I guess i have to start somewhere.

Well here the evolution of my rig so far.

Started out trying to go as low budget as possible with a $90.00 wheel and pedal set and an improvised rig but quickly realized that it wouldn't cut it.
Qraw7bL.jpg

Sent back the PXN 3V and traded up to a G29.
LkXL9xZ.jpg

The G29 was a great move but the rig was still lacking.
A Playseat F1 is not in the budget so I decided to make a copy with left over material from my house renovations.
2hs3cYd.jpg

YHjxRVs.jpg

1RzGGuJ.jpg

Tested this setup for a few days and determined some improvements were needed. the steering wheel mount was flexing way too much and the pedal board was too upright. Also the monitor had no articulation mounted at that angle so I built a platform for the monitor. Replaced the wheel support with a cutout piece of 2X10 and tilted the pedal board forward to suit me.

To73hAO.jpg

QWa46WC.jpg

KeHs5Lt.jpg

Also made the steering wheel mount adjustable for angle. The first one was mounted solid to the upright.
tngpyfV.jpg

What a difference a good setup makes. I've seen a marked improvement in my lap times already. Would love to have a motion simulator with Fanatec hardware but unfortunately that won't be happening any time soon

Thanks for looking

Great work!

Did a few changes to my sim rig setup. Moved the hand brake lever from horizontally beside the seat base to mounted vertically alongside the shifter. Is far easier to use now as I can always keep my right hand on the wheel rather than constantly switching hands just to use the brake lever. But the most prominent change is the new Samsung Odyssey G9 49" curved screen that replaced my older Samsung LC49. The new screen allows me to step up to 1440p gaming which even at this early stage is quite a visual improvement and the curvature of the screen is much more pronounced at 1000R vs 1800R of the old screen. Wasn't a particularly cheap upgrade as it cost me $2500 (Aussie dollars) but my wife helped put some money towards it and took my old screen to use for her new work from home clerical job. So it was a win-win situation!

Here are some comparison photos to show the difference in curvature between the new and old monitors!
The edges of the new monitor are over 6 inches further forward! Its quite a noticeable difference!

20210209_075140.jpg
20210209_115050.jpg

20210212_145656.jpg

Nice setup.

I have the Samsung 32" G7 1440p 16:9 which I'm really happy with so the G9 is a progression from there. I like them because they are VA panels which give great contrast and rich colour. They have a downside in limited viewing angle but that doesn't bother me as I don't generally play my games from the other side of the room.

I couldn't stretch to the G9 but I can see the logic as it should just be the only monitor you should ever need for either racing or doing work with it in the future without going to triples.

Perhaps your wife will inherit the G9 at some point when you do your next upgrade ;)

I bought a second hand car seat for my rig. Oh man is it way comfier than the cheap one that came with my first rig.

1613127565727.png

I really need to tidy it up now, but I actually want to start using it a bit first!

I had to bodge the HOTAS too. The cable between the stick and throttle was woefully short and hardwired (I really should have spent more money on a half decent one). Ended up buying a HDMI extension cable and splicing it between the two

Hi folks, not sure if this is right thread but I'm considering building a cockpit out of unistrut (steel U channel strut). I found a company that will be powder coat and cut the strut to custom sizes:

Does anyone have any plans for a channel strut cockpit? I've seen loads for wood and extruded aluminium but nothing for unistrut. Seems mad given how strong and easy unistrut is to work with, for the price (£10ish for 3m). I think a whole cockpit should be doable for under £200.

My (probably overly optimistic) hope is that I can find a suitable base plan, send a part list to these guys and get back a sleek black bunch of steel and fasteners to bolt together at home.

Did a few changes to my sim rig setup. Moved the hand brake lever from horizontally beside the seat base to mounted vertically alongside the shifter. Is far easier to use now as I can always keep my right hand on the wheel rather than constantly switching hands just to use the brake lever. But the most prominent change is the new Samsung Odyssey G9 49" curved screen that replaced my older Samsung LC49. The new screen allows me to step up to 1440p gaming which even at this early stage is quite a visual improvement and the curvature of the screen is much more pronounced at 1000R vs 1800R of the old screen. Wasn't a particularly cheap upgrade as it cost me $2500 (Aussie dollars) but my wife helped put some money towards it and took my old screen to use for her new work from home clerical job. So it was a win-win situation!

Here are some comparison photos to show the difference in curvature between the new and old monitors!
The edges of the new monitor are over 6 inches further forward! Its quite a noticeable difference!
Made the same transition... I would recommend to try and bring the monitor closer to you to fully benefit from the curvature and better FOV. Best would be either close to the back side of the wheelbase or above it to bring it even closer to you.
Not sure your stand allows that though.

View attachment 444658View attachment 444659
View attachment 444660
Curvalicous. That monitor is insane. Mine is the first I’ve ever seen in person and I love it. I can only imagine what that sexy thing must be like. Congrats. Enjoy.

Hi folks, not sure if this is right thread but I'm considering building a cockpit out of unistrut (steel U channel strut). I found a company that will be powder coat and cut the strut to custom sizes:

Does anyone have any plans for a channel strut cockpit? I've seen loads for wood and extruded aluminium but nothing for unistrut. Seems mad given how strong and easy unistrut is to work with, for the price (£10ish for 3m). I think a whole cockpit should be doable for under £200.

My (probably overly optimistic) hope is that I can find a suitable base plan, send a part list to these guys and get back a sleek black bunch of steel and fasteners to bolt together at home.

The plan you could easyly draw yourself, the same with the parts list.

I´m a bit sceptical about the fastener thing.
If you can weld everything together you could build a rig like a rollcage, optimum rigidtiy and wild style points ;)
So when you resort to bolting everything together to get enough rigidity you´d have to drill through the strut and bolt a fastener to both sides.

The beauty about profile rigs is that the joints bolted together with the triangles are very stiff in every direction..

If it was me i´d search for a good profile source, even if it endet up a bit more expensive in the short run.
A profile rig is just a lot more versatile and can easily be adapted to different seating positions and changing hardware, so it´s alot more futureproof.

( And yes, i´m sitting in my DIY profile rig while typing this ;))

MFG Carsten

Made the same transition... I would recommend to try and bring the monitor closer to you to fully benefit from the curvature and better FOV. Best would be either close to the back side of the wheelbase or above it to bring it even closer to you.
Not sure your stand allows that though.

Yeah screen definitely does need to be closer to me but that particular rig frame doesn't allow a lot of adjustment so I'll need to do some modifications to reshuffle things about.
My other issue is that I also use this rig for Flight Sims so i still need to be able to slot in the flight pedals which was tricky, especially after upgrading to the Fanatec pedal set. Previously with the Logitech pedals it was relatively easy to remove them and fit the flight pedals. The Fanatecs would be a nightmare to do this..

Last edited:

My favorite unistrut rig is called Mid Century Modern and they guy that made it did make plans, though might not be what you're looking for

Yeah screen definitely does need to be closer to me but that particular rig frame doesn't allow a lot of adjustment so I'll need to do some modifications to reshuffle things about.
My other issue is that I also use this rig for Flight Sims so i still need to be able to slot in the flight pedals which was tricky, especially after upgrading to the Fanatec pedal set. Previously with the Logitech pedals it was relatively easy to remove them and fit the flight pedals. The Fanatecs would be a nightmare to do this..

How about two different pedal plates with quick releases?

For example fix it in place with bolts, hold down with something like this?

So to change you just have to open the latches, and lift the pedalplate up,
put the other onto the bolts and fix the latches?

MFG Carsten

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea