Share your VR graphic settings

Tested ACC on monitor (triples) this weekend. Cant believe the game looks so good on monitors and so crapy on VR with the same settings. Unfortunalely
I lost my hopes of seeing improvements for VR.

100% agreed.
The title is supposed to be going to final release very soon (if they are still planning Q1) and forums are still filled with json fixes and massive compromises even on the best hardware.
VR is just broken.

How can you guys say it looks crappy on VR? Are we all playing the same game?

Compare it to AC and iRacing the optimization and clarity aren't even close. Even at epic AA, I still see jaggies. Draw distances aren't great. Trees popping. It's just poorly optimized. Replays have shadow/ghosting everywhere.

I guess you could say it's about as well optimized in VR as rf2, but that's not exactly a high bar at the moment.

I agree with you Jorge and others can accept or not, but it looks very good on many users pc rigs. You just cannot judge what other people are looking at in VR based on your own system. It is a moot argument because each has their own opinion based on their experience. Plus it is still in early access and premature to be judging it yet.

Last edited:
I agree with you Jorge and others can accept or not, but it looks very good on many users pc rigs. You just cannot judge what other people are looking at in VR based on your own system. It is a moot argument because each has their own opinion based on their experience. Plus it is still in early access and premature to be judging it yet.

I don't think it's that. I just think some people are always looking for some small detail they don't like, sometimes actively. Then they come to the forums and start using strong words like "crap". I feel bad for them, really.

I'm not saying ACC is without issues, but the good things, in my humble opinion, overweight the bad things. Of course my system is powerful, but it's quite old, 6700k with a 1080ti. And with that I can enjoy a smooth experience even with the maximum number of AI cars and on the rain or at night.

The fact that I am looking forward to arrive home and fire ACC says enough. And it's going to be even better.

That IS some strong Koolaid. The blurriness and AA flickering makes the visual fidelity not just subjectively but objectively bad.
Yeah, the grass is super HD and very green except it also appears to be in slightly different dimensions for each eye so it can be hard to focus on anything that isn't in your cockpit. Even in the cockpit it can be hard to actually read numbers. Of course I can bump up clarity, all I have to do is trade in a smooth framerate. So no, this game is not VR ready yet. Maybe it never will be because of the tech it's using.

That IS some strong Koolaid. The blurriness and AA flickering makes the visual fidelity not just subjectively but objectively bad.
Yeah, the grass is super HD and very green except it also appears to be in slightly different dimensions for each eye so it can be hard to focus on anything that isn't in your cockpit. Even in the cockpit it can be hard to actually read numbers. Of course I can bump up clarity, all I have to do is trade in a smooth framerate. So no, this game is not VR ready yet. Maybe it never will be because of the tech it's using.

Thanks for showing me the absolute truth. I will stop enjoying ACC on VR right now.

Yeah lots of krazy talk :laugh: as I have no blur or flicker as the vr image looks really nice so far and it will only improve from beta stage. I think 1.0 release is probably some weeks away and very excited for that ! :thumbsup:

Any experts out there? When I race in Ac1 with the Rift and remove the headset to take a break, the game kind of keep connected to the Rift. I can move the Rift around by hand and it follows on the monitor. When I remove the Rift in Acc, the screen freezes and I loose keyboard control.
Is there a way to either tell Acc to keep connected to the Rift, or the Rift to keep connected to Acc?

@Axel Moebius This is the expected behavior. If you unplug your rift via USB it will cause ACC to exit and I think the only way to get ACC to disconnect from the rift is to exit ACC - not sure why you want to do this? Just exit ACC - it does start pretty fast on most hardware and if you are racing in single player then just put it on pause. My 0.02 cents.

To each his own - there are many parameters that can make a VR experience look crap for some and decently good if not great for others - One of the parameters comes from "human expectation" and what you consider crapy for a VR title - this is very subjective.
Other parameters are CPU, GPU, Settings (games and GPU), SuperSampling (SS), AA modes, and headset - all of these combined can make a game look fairly crap versus more than decent for VR where we can all agree we are years away from having the same visuals as we get on high-end TV/monitors.
One thing I have to agree about ACC and I spent dozens and dozens of hours trying to find the ultimate settings across the board for the RIFT and WMR headset(s) is the shimmering and ghosting you get out of ACC in VR - I have an Oculus and Odyssey+ headsets and I find text easier to read on my odyssey but it uses more CPU (+~15%) than the Rift.
I'm not fully satisfied when I compare it to iRacing VR which is my other sim but to be honest iRacing is 10+ years old and ACC is less than a year but in the end result is what matters at a particular time which is now since full release is around the corner (we hope)? iRacing is not stellar but there is far less if any ghosting and surely a bit less shimmering.
What I don't like with VR ACC is the shimmering / flickering around transparent textures and the crappy anti-aliasing that TAA offers as part of Unreal Engine 4.x - The latter is much harder to deal with to be honest because of the ghosting it produces when you are driving versus being static where it is fine for the most part.
I can offer some tips around shimmering and ghosting in ACC VR but again it may work for some or not: DISCLAIMER: this is based on my own verified observations and readings I have been doing - do it at your own risks ;)
- Do not use WMR reprojection as it causes stuttering _if_ you rig cannot sustain 60+ FPS without it in VR
- SuperSampling above 140-150 doesn't give much return but taxes resources nonetheless
- SteamVR's Advanced Supersample Filtering (option) tends to give more shimmering ( I have it disabled )
- SteamVR's Motion Smoothing is a blessing as it tends to keep FPS at 45 but in a very smooth manner and you can run higher SS with it (should be ON by default but if not I recommend using it instead of WMR reprojection which is a deal breaker for me) - too much stuttering and unstable
- TAA anti-aliasing mode which is really the only decent AA mode for ACC can cause ghosting - recommendation is not to use more than 4 samples and the following settings in engine.ini:
[ConsoleVariables]
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.TemporalAASharpen=0.6
r.TemporalAADynamicSharpen=0.1
I personally don't set r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight to 0.1 or 0.2 as it causes more ghosting for me
- For TAA, if you set it to Epic in-game, ghosting on car mirrors and other parts will pretty much go away
- Setting shadows to high and above can cause flickering if your rig is GPU bound
- Setting negative r.MipMapLODBias and r.Streaming.MipBias values can cause additional shimmering (just a word of caution) - I no longer set them but instead set r.Tonemapper.Sharpen to 2 or 3 (1 might also give less jaggies around the edges) - just test and see what works best.

VR isn't easy to get right even if you have the best rig out there as it is very demanding so ultimately you have to play with settings and this is where I wish Kunos will document it more and put various engine.ini configuration settings out there that works best for ACC instead of having the users fishing all across the web after settings which most people would not understand anyway (for instance, bloom quality isn't really perceivable in VR to be honest but has a significant impact on GPU).
I also hope Kunos will add separate in-game configuration settings for VR.

Update:
I posted my latest settings for ACC VR where i get butter smooth 45fps and very little flickering here
Note this is for SteamVR but some settings should be applicable to the Rift.

Last edited:
@Pheebau

Appreciate all those details on the VR! When I tried playing I noticed a weird shimmering effect when coming close to curbs at Monza. The paint on the curbs would shimmer more the closer I was to them. Going down the main straight it'd be fine and then as I'm entering the corner the shimmering picks up heavily as the curb is taking more screen space. Eventually this lead to motion sickness. Any recommendations on what I can change to reduce/eliminate that?

This was an Odyssey+

@RobertR1 I know exactly what you are talking about as I have experienced it at Hungaroring on T8 and was able to get rid of it but I changed my settings again and it came back - I keep all versions of my config settings so I will find which setting in particular got rid of it and respond when I get to it.

If you have a nVidia card, make sure Texture Filtering for anisotropic sample optimization is off - you can find this setting in the nVidia control panel - you can create a profile for ACC executable

Last edited:
@Axel Moebius This is the expected behavior. If you unplug your rift via USB it will cause ACC to exit and I think the only way to get ACC to disconnect from the rift is to exit ACC - not sure why you want to do this? Just exit ACC - it does start pretty fast on most hardware and if you are racing in single player then just put it on pause. My 0.02 cents.

I am not unplugging the Rift. Just taking it off my head.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.