S17 - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx for your response April :)
How much better is the driving with VR ?
E.g. can you reach the apex and/or the breaking points better ?
I have never tried it, but from what I have heard and from what has been explained to me, all the stuff as turn in and looking towards the apex comes completely natural. Of course this might only be a big step up if your current setup only consists of one screen.
The biggest benefit compared to a 3 screen setup (if you have one) thought is, that it is freaking 3 dimensional :) So your brain does not think it's looking at a flat screen, but it thinks you are actually there, so it's perfect for racing against other people and hitting apexes. It's all natural feels real :D

// All that is what I have read and been told only, never tried it. But I plan to by a Vive soon, I just want to find out when the new Generations are coming out.

Why are you buying a HTC Vive and not a Oculus Rift ?
I read the next version of the Oculus Rift, the CV2, is planed for 2019 ... so I expect 2020 :D
For the Vive I found no roadmap for a new goggle version ...

Again I can only account on what has been told to me from friends who tried both and they said the Vive has the better picture quality and it feels like the refresh rate is better.

EDIT: See here for the reason:

But again, this really differs from people to people I guess. Doing a quick google search simply leads to some people saying the prefer the rift and other the vive.
Probably best is if you can see if you can get to try out both before hand, especially in a racing experience.

From what I've tried, I don't drive much faster/slower in VR than I do on a monitor. The end result is pretty much the same. It takes some time to adjust to a different perspective (I tend to use "when X sign reaches the edge of the screen" as a braking point a lot... That doesn't really work in VR :D) and I learned that the apexes are all lined up differently in my area of sight, but afterwards I settled into pretty much my usual pace. When it comes to actually competing, we can just adjust to whatever we've got to work with to make it work, and that's basically what I do.

You also need to adjust to your entire surroundings moving, whereas ordinarily the room around your monitor staying fixed helps you feel anchored and secure. I think this is gonna be a big contributor to motion sickness for people, and something I had to train myself to deal with. Even after spending my youth playing hectic shooters like Unreal Tournament, Quake and Descent. I was genuinely surprised by how hard it hit me at first, but I have trained myself to it not being an issue anymore.

I asked @Kyran Parkin to run around with me for a little while so I could get a reference as to how I was doing. (We're team mates at Realish and in SRC's VLMS, so I have a good sense of the difference between our driving styles & speeds). The result was pretty much like it was when I was running non-VR. Side-by-side driving through sequences of corners went great too, but then again that's something that we've done plenty of times anyway.

The only thing that I do think improves in VR is the enjoyment I get out of it. :D But I don't have any IRL racing experience to relate it too, or that I'm trying to reproduce. I'm also not the type of person who goes faster with better hardware either. I can do the same lap times on my Clubsport V2 as I can on my half-broken G25 I keep as a backup. And I can catch slides at exactly the same success rate on both my G25 and Clubsport, and on both my monitor and Vive, before anyone asks. :p

Now I have a "cheap", used Oculus Rift CV1.
But, what a surprise, my computer is not compatible.
Just wanted to test it, at least with some demos, but special requirements are needed.
In my case an instruction set of the processor (SSE 4.2).
The actual processor is an intel quad-core, but it has only SSE 4.1.
Can`t understand why they don´t bypass that via software, just for testing.
Now I`m waiting for the new computer I ordered ... :sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back