S17 - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I can't get the server back up at the minute as I'm in hospital at the moment :( I had a heart attack 2 days ago which is obviously a massive shock as I'm only 39 years young, The surgeons have placed a stent in my artery and according to them all went well and I should be out in a day or two but obviously with something like this I need to take it very easy for the foreseeable future.

If Peter and April are willing and able they will run the league right now until such times I'm able to get back racing with you all. I will be around on the forum but I just cant put myself through some high stress racing until I completely fine again (if ever)

I will keep you all informed on how I'm getting on and like I say I'll be around on the forum so I hope you guys have some great races without me for the next while and I hope you can give me some nice highlights vids to watch :)

I will be back soon but PrestoGP will keep going in my abscence :)

its going to be a long process but im gonna tackle it head on, i need major lifestyle changes but with the shock i had im willing to do anything needed.

do you know something? its taken a heart attack before i miss a presto race :D god damn hearts who needs them, messing with my racing :p

wonder how far i'll be behind in champ by the time im back, dont count me out just yet, look at this as me doing an alonso, i knew my car would be sh*t at bahrain :D

well guys just to let you know all looks good for me to get out today and theres been no serious damage to my heart which is great news, this means i can get back to a fairly normal life doing much the same as i did before (minus the bad bits obviously).

if all goes well with the rehab when im home ill try be back for the race after bahrain, if thats not possible then the one after, so remember and put on a good show for me to watch :)

well guys just to let you know all looks good for me to get out today and theres been no serious damage to my heart which is great news, this means i can get back to a fairly normal life doing much the same as i did before (minus the bad bits obviously).

if all goes well with the rehab when im home ill try be back for the race after bahrain, if thats not possible then the one after, so remember and put on a good show for me to watch :)

I have had two heart attacks first in 1998 (age 42 ) and I know the feeling when you get it at a young age. Life gets normal relatively fast, just see what you eat and get some more exercise.

I wish you a quick recovery. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi Ari :)

Thanks for that, it really does help to know I'm not alone in getting one at a young age, the doctors did tell me that it would be a lot more psychological for me because I am younger when it's happened. I also get what your saying about life getting normal fast, right now sitting here I dont feel as if anything has happened and I want to just go ahead and do the things I always did but obviously I need to take my time and be carefull but physically and mentally I feel the same as I did before.

I've started my rehab now and am walking each day to build up strength and get my breath back,also have a nurse who comes in once weekly to check up on how recovery is going. All seems good so far, I'm now not smoking at all, not on any patches either, I now eat a healthy diet of plenty vegetables, fruits and low saturates, like I said before I would tackle it head on but it really helps knowing I'm not alone having had this so young.

I hope you'll be all right David. I recently lost a collegue because of that, I was shocked because he was about my (our) age, and I was very sad for his family. So now follow doctor orders, do some sports/walkings and come back when ready! :thumbsup:

Now about rFactor 2, the next update will be out on Monday if I understand what's going on with studio 397, with DX11 and VR support, so we should all prepare before the race next week, in order not to be surprised with Steam update and all (new UI also I think).

I hope this will bring back some previous PrestoGP members that didn't make the switch to rFactor 2, and also some new members because of VR, performance improvements in graphics or even shiny new rendering. I think then, if all is good with this very important update, we should consider looking into weather effects :D.

I also hope some will come back now that VR support is on the horizon, but I also hoped they wouldnt leave Presto just because there was no VR support so we will see how that turns out.

Its obviously going to be a good thing for all of us, hopefully an influx of new drivers, hopefully better graphics and performance for us all, server side it shouldnt cause any problems with the way I read the announcements.

Weather would be great Nicolas but its the testing that always held us up, its not as straight forward as adding a plugin and hey presto (excuse the pun) it works, I wish that was the case. If anyone here knows how to use the weather and can tell us in as few words as possible then we can have a try with it, even if its during the summer break we can get it well tested and implement it. My main hope is that it becomes part of the game so we dont need any rather technical plugins to make it work for us.

Any tips for VR ... which goggle, computer hardware, ... ?
For simracing in VR, I went with an HTC Vive. It's been a very good headset for me so far! And once rF2's VR is available to the public at large, I intend to switch my rF2 league racing to VR almost entirely, only switching back to a monitor for the individual tracks that I can't hit a high enough framerate on for VR. (Or pending any other serious bugs, like the screen freezes which are causing mayhem at pretty much every single VEC race)

It's surprising just how demanding it is on PC hardware. My PC's no slouch, and rF2's pretty handsome right now on my single monitor. A GTX980, i7 6700K and 32GB memory makes for a pretty rF2 on a 2560x1080 60hz monitor. But switching to VR in AC, Dirt Rally (with Revive) and PCars I have to drop the graphics down to low-medium quite often to achieve a stable 90fps. I guess it shouldn't be that surprising. It's got a resolution of 2160x1200 divided into two (one for each eye). So we're talking about drawing a 1080x1200 frame 180 times per second!

I'm expecting to give up MSAA and run on mostly low and medium settings in rF2 when I make the VR jump there. Luckily the only game I've had to drop shadows to minimum on is Dirt Rally. It's incredible how much the games lose without shadows. Even just having really blocky, smudgy, low-res shadows is an enormous improvement over no shadows IMO. So it was nice to be able to keep them in AC and PCars. And if FXAA works in VR, that'll help too! :D

LFS also exists and is VR compatible. But that game looks the same as it did back in 2007, just in VR. So there's no real strain on PC hardware to run it in VR. :p Works great though!

My GTX980 is the limiting factor in my PC's VR performance, I'm sure. So when I'm planning upgrades to enhance my VR experience, that's what I'm replacing. But I should emphasise, I feel absolutely no urgency to do that right now. VR on low settings is still a fantastic experience.

I don't really know much about Vive vs. Rift at this point. I bought my Vive back before the Rift had motion controllers. I was curious about the other VR games out there, and Apple had just announced they were increasing the price of all their stuff in the UK after the GBP's value plummeted following the Brexit referendum. So I figured I'd get in before HTC did the same thing. :p Though it's been 10 months now and they haven't yet.

Other games have been fun, though limited by the fact I have very little space to play with VR games. I'd describe my VR setup as "standing at best", because I've had issues with a few 'standing' games and my VR space. But thankfully that doesn't affect me sitting in a chair while facing my wheel, which is what's important for me and VR.

I have had a few games I quite enjoyed though, and coupling the 3D SBS mode in Virtual Desktop up with Dolphin's 3D Graphics mode looks great when it works. Get the settings dialled in right, and it's incredible how much more immersive Metroid Prime becomes for the added depth!... You just have to forgive a few menu glitches. :D Doesn't work with all games though. Twin Snakes has to be played in its old fashioned 2D way. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back