new cockpit to arrive
just love this hard metal work :)

1636036234472.png

1636036242271.png

0409c9f9-15eb-46da-9448-031b22f09e8e.jpg

Last edited:
OT - Slotcar Track

let me share some words on my 2nd crazy world - my beloved slotcar track.
Since 10 years i run a nice slotcar track - 2 digital lanes with each 24meters at 4x3 meters

1636036475024.png

the baseline for this track is a carrera digital set - upgraded with the same DIY passion to an impression racetrack giving 6 people at the same time incredible race action. some functions possible on my track

fuel usage based on skills and laptime
tyre wear
pit strategy
nigh races thanks to 1.000 LED or even more
race screen via video beamer
side fuel screen
track stop at each driver position

1636036641834.png

a lot of time i spent into papercraft - one of those nice buildings take 30-50h. I was so impressed on the results some sheet of paper can server - if you spent some time and passion into it.

1636036725333.png

1636036837077.png

People not racing spent time in spotting new buildings or crazy guys at my track. I also integrated my cabel car i got when i was 6 years old.
1636037050452.png

1636037064068.png

Some words on the cars. As already shared i am running a digital track. Based on this technology we are able to race 6 cars at the same time. This requires to add digi encoders to each analoge slotcar. Doing one car is funny - doing it for 6 cars across 7 series will cause some frustration at home :)

1636037329854.png

1636037340742.png

our Fleet - 6pcs each

1:32 NSR Mosler
1:32 NSR GT
1:32 Slot-it LMP
1:24 BRM Mini Cooper
1:24 custom build Megane
1:24 Carrera Porsche Cup
1:24 Carrera Porsche 917

1636037370012.png

my team consists of 12 friends. we meet every 3 week and race the whole evening. For sure we have a big fridge with cold beer and some snacks. thanks to COVID i had 18month break, but now we are back on track and enjoy the beauty of racing face 2 face. nothing against simracing - but looking into the face of your opponent makes a lot of fun.

some video for you to better unterstand

I hope you enjoyed my short OT post. Happy to share more - maybe there is the one or other OT i can share - just see my profile picture :)

1636037613825.png

Peter

Last edited:
Incredible, I am stunned again and wonder how you find the time for all of that.

As a kid, I had a Carrera starter set, only an oval with 2 cars, something like Group C, if I remember correctly.

The highlight was a mechanical lap counter that was added later on :)

Last edited:
Incredible, I am stunned again and wonder how you find the time for all of that.

As a kid, I had a Carrera starter set, only an oval with 2 cars, something like Group C, if I remember correctly.

The highlight was a manual lap counter that was added later on :)
had a servo - no laptiming
about 30y later - i found some space and decided to make it happen

Dashboard - NEW

as already teased i was designing a new stainless steel front - my 3d print panels did their job and after some time i found the perfect (maybe final) solution.

first some carbon foil

IMG_2448.JPG

the cut-outs can be seen as design elements - but they have also a key function - DDU10 cable management

IMG_2449.JPG
IMG_2450.JPG
IMG_2451.JPG

omg - i had this idea a couple of month in my head - but was waiting for the final position of certain cockpit element - i am so happy if a project can be executed in such a nice manner - 15min CAD time - 1 week waiting time for the laser cup - installation without problems in 2h

IMG_2455.JPG

enclosed my DXF files
you can send it to any laser cut company
for you private usage only - please respect ;-)

Last edited:

The highlight was a mechanical lap counter that was added later on :)
Haha I agree on all fronts! Very impressed with the skill and attention to detail on all things in this thread, and even more envious (and impressed) of the time to be able to bring them all to life. Bravo, Peter!

DIY - Tools

if you ask yourself - which tool Peter is using the most - let me share my beloved weller station. Every project you see in my report went through this station - and its important to understand that i was born in the same year :)

IMG_2197.JPG

you spotted right - this weller station is in operations since 1977 - like Peter - and i hope we have no dispute on the quality both are producing :)

IMG_2196.JPG

I am not really a fan of promoting products - but in this case i make a big exception. I can still buy spare parts - thats crazy

https://www.distrelec.at/de/loetspitze-meissel-98mm-weller-pt-l8/p/18265407
https://www.distrelec.at/de/ersatzschwamm-weller-t0052242099/p/18248398

to get rid of soldering steam i have this tiny supporter

1636119912910.png

some ideas how great my weller works - eg prototype for my own USB controller

1636120120678.png

inside my LMP2 steering wheel
1636120133744.png

Last edited:
DIY - Tools

i think i did already 15 tear-downs of my rig - i stopped counting the amount of changing certain ALU profile positions. I will not do this without the right tools - and i am really getting angry if i do not find one of them. A good mix of Wera, Knipex and EDS

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

in addition to my hand tools i have for my VIM (very important machines)

Metabo KGS 254 M
1636120522571.png

Bosch PBD 40
1636120545690.png

Dremel 3000
1636120564574.png

Last edited:
I have not seen anything but Weller soldering stations in several companies in my professional life. Can also vouch for their quality.

Edit: i have also used the exact same Drill+Stand before and was surprised about the quality at that price. The only wish for improvement would be the ability to handle larger pieces.

Last edited:
I've had a Weller WES51 for about a decade now. It's not as well used/loved as Peter's is, but I'm very happy with it. At least I can say it's out of production now :)

Last edited:
DIY - Tools

closing this chapter with my 3D Printers

since 2 years
Ender 5
to achieve the best results i added a glas surface plus magnetic one
the std print surface was not as accurate as expected - hence the upgrade
1636125417490.png

since a few weeks
Creality LD-006

1636125270325.png

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 1451080

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
my plan was prusa - we need to know the reason why i bought the printer
not simracing - it was the first week of lockdown - so not really 2 years
and i was looking for a tool to do some cool stuff with my kids - drawing - printing - showing what we can do with current tech
unfort prusa was not able to deliver so i had to run the hard way :)
it took me 3 Anycubic - all returned - and 3 Ender - until i got the one working one :-(

• Deleted member 1451080

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not seen anything but Weller soldering stations in several companies in my professional life. Can also vouch for their quality.

Edit: i have also used the exact same Drill+Stand before and was surprised about the quality at that price. The only wish for improvement would be the ability to handle larger pieces.

30 years as an EE student and working engineer in one industry or another.....2 Universities and 5 different companies, along with countless subcontractors and customer facilities in countless countries...I've never seen anything except a Weller.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea