rFactor 2 | November Development Roadmap

simulator / track map. how does one 'simulate' something that does not exist in real cars?
Im sure you are aware that there are simulations of all kinds of things every single day that are not yet in the real world. That is the whole point of simulations - test - change - evolve -

The "simulate" part makes it incredibly easy.
easy, yes, but then why not simulte 1500hp engines with little to none fuel consumption and tires that grip solidly while never wearing out.
The point was not the technical challenge, but the art of simulation is trying to closely mimic the real world. I've seen track maps in cars, they are printed forms listing the important corners, not dynamic hud super-imposed outlines of the track and competitors.
Perhaps I should have asked WHY instead of How.

Trackmaps are needed on simracing, I often use it to see where opponents are or where the opponent car triggered the yellow car since you aren't in a real car so you don't have the same spacial awareness or team radio...so discussing about the lacking of it is kinda a philosophical exercise...it needs to be there, then if you don't like it you should be able to disable it.
Such topic reminds me when on "ISI" forum someone told me damage wasn't needed because you aren't supposed to crash or go out of track...

The fictional car is quite useless to be honest...all this interest on electric stuff is kinda boring...

After the trackmap...why simulated drivetrain/clutch? Improved AI anyone? Proper environment/temperature simulation? Or some more advanced tyre physics (punctures, sidewall damage, carcass etc) ? Improvement to sounds system? Improvement of the damage model?
Etc, etc, etc...

I knowthe rF2 tyre model was one of the best but it is far from being complete and it alone can't be your selling point anymore...it need to improve drastically and fast, no more useless or old content (first istall = gigs of old unsupported ISI content)...simulation isn't only tyre physics, is about fun too, being on the track (even if virtually lol)!

Trackmaps are needed on simracing, I often use it to see where opponents are or where the opponent car triggered the yellow car since you aren't in a real car so you don't have the same spacial awareness or team radio...so discussing about the lacking of it is kinda a philosophical exercise...it needs to be there, then if you don't like it you should be able to disable it.
Such topic reminds me when on "ISI" forum someone told me damage wasn't needed because you aren't supposed to crash or go out of track...

The fictional car is quite useless to be honest...all this interest on electric stuff is kinda boring...

After the trackmap...why simulated drivetrain/clutch? Improved AI anyone? Proper environment/temperature simulation? Or some more advanced tyre physics (punctures, sidewall damage, carcass etc) ? Improvement to sounds system? Improvement of the damage model?
Etc, etc, etc...

I knowthe rF2 tyre model was one of the best but it is far from being complete and it alone can't be your selling point anymore...it need to improve drastically and fast, no more useless or old content (first istall = gigs of old unsupported ISI content)...simulation isn't only tyre physics, is about fun too, being on the track (even if virtually lol)!

I actually disagree entirely about "needing" the trackmap for racing, i raced in an RF1 League for many years without one and did just fine, plus iRacing and never felt the need to use one. Even less so since i made the switch to VR, sure the Option to have one is the best for everyone but as it stands there isn't one for RF2 and probably won't be for some time.

(The trackmap in the Roadmap is referring to the one in the UI, just incase people think there's one coming for in car use it's not that)

Last edited:
Finland
In simracing you are the driver, the strategy team, the pitcrew and and the team boss. The strategy team has access to track map so I don't see anything unrealistic about having it in some form available all the time. After all in real life you don't get to pick when the race starts or how long each session is. You are lucky if you even have a contract to drive the car you wanted. Not to mention strength of ffb and other things. All this simulation realism not-in-my-sim nonsense feels just really arbitrary and sort of weird elitism where lack of feature somehow proves how hardcore the sim is. Which is ridiculous.

Personally I don't care either way. I don't use track map unless I am driving a really long track and trying to learn it. In which case it is not unrealistic either. It is a game feature and rf2 is game that has and needs game features. Whether it needs a track map is a decision based on whether it needs it. Not if real life has one (they do).

GuitarTech

Premium
Germany
In simracing you are the driver, the strategy team, the pitcrew and and the team boss. The strategy team has access to track map so I don't see anything unrealistic about having it in some form available all the time. After all in real life you don't get to pick when the race starts or how long each session is. You are lucky if you even have a contract to drive the car you wanted. Not to mention strength of ffb and other things. All this simulation realism not-in-my-sim nonsense feels just really arbitrary and sort of weird elitism where lack of feature somehow proves how hardcore the sim is. Which is ridiculous.

Personally I don't care either way. I don't use track map unless I am driving a really long track and trying to learn it. In which case it is not unrealistic either. It is a game feature and rf2 is game that has and needs game features. Whether it needs a track map is a decision based on whether it needs it. Not if real life has one (they do).
Pleas don't start S397 off on another project that'll take years to finish, if at all. I'd rather that they addressed all the other stuff that's broken, like the full-course yellow bug, the fact that you have to select your Video card every time you go into the game. the missing car ident. In VR, the new UI Desaster,I could go on and on.
But, as consolation, we get a shitty e-car that doesn't even exist, and nobody wants. It's no coincidence that S397 is based in the Netherlands, I bet they've been smoking something...

Last edited:

"rf2 is game that has and needs game features."
I think it's the other way around.
rF2 is a hard core simulator that wants to be a game due to marketing/financial purposes.
This is where all the frustration and confusion stems up.
I personally don't expect anything from it except a good driving feel.

NetkarPro with all the buttons you can click with your mouse to start your car is more hardcore than rF2 imo..

Same can be applied to DCS or similar games.

Hardcore means it simulates all the small details which are going to have an effect on racing...

So if your meaning of hardcore is just about "driving feel" you can just play Mario kart with rF2 tyres model...

Last edited:

GuitarTech

Premium
Germany
"rf2 is game that has and needs game features."
I think it's the other way around.
rF2 is a hard core simulator that wants to be a game due to marketing/financial purposes.
This is where all the frustration and confusion stems up.
I personally don't expect anything from it except a good driving feel.
A good driving feel, and that everything works as it should, like the mouse pointer in VR, and fixing all the other stuff that detracts from the realism, the bug with the full-course yellow for example..

Last edited:

mantasisg

Premium
Lithuania
^^^ what the hell is up with this loading times meme recently ? Are all the people only loading rF2 tracks for first time, because thats only time they load a long time. Other times it takes ~1minute +-30seconds depending on track size.

I find rF2 loading tracks, such as Nordschleife enough to do 50 pushups (in one go) :D

If Mario Kart has a cockpit view and FFB support, I'll gladly give it a go! ;)

I was thinking yesterday how I would love Need For Speed Underground (the first one), with all arcade physics out, and replaced with legit physics like it is possible to have in rF2.

But thats for sure as you say the problem of two paradigms conflicting - pure realism truth vs pure fun independent fantasy. Personally I think it is possible, just to have physics and general rules real, and all game mechanics are independent and can go together with fully realistic physics. The problem is probably just the image of the game. Although I can see some car games being difficult to be truly realistic physically such as "Rollcage Stage 2" or "Twisted Metal 4" thats where full arcade is great.

However, I also had one another thought. I just had an idea that strong car racing arcade games genre is necessary. Why ? Because if arcade racing dies, it is very likely that simulation games will get perverted into becoming more and more arcade, and fill the niche blocking simulations to be tempted to go there. Arcade genre must exist, and it must not be shamed. Arcade gives contrast highlighting pros of true simulation. The problem is that bar of simulation has been dropped low, and arcades want to label as simulations to gain bonus market. And simulations look for ways to get bit more arcade for the same reason.

Last edited:
The competition system will boost the user base hopefully :).

Really looking forward to it.
The trackmap would be so nice as overlay within the game and visible in VR .
Can you imagine a 1 h competition session with LMP2,LMP3, GT3,GT4 ? hopefully we get there..

Agreed the track loading comments are wore out.

It makes me wonder if they’re that impatient with everything else in life. Waiting at a red light or in some of the more repetitive cases, school bus?

I love driving RF2, it's just a labour of love with one thing and another when a lot of the problems don't exist in other sims.

RF3 would be the best road map.