rFactor 2 | November Development Roadmap

Yeah, I've been busy upgrading my rig: bought a Podium DD1 and two rims after buying the 3080. Now I am financially busted for a while. But I'm a happy man, I'm having so much fun with my system now, I can't stop grinning every evening. My wife is starting to worry about me.. :D
Wow, someone's feeling flush :D

Last edited:

GuitarTech

Premium
Germany
Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit but I'm an rF2 noob. How do you turn on the new/beta UI?
Go into the steam library, and right click rF2. Select properties, and then select betas. In the drop down menu select "public beta". close the properties, and wait till rF2 has updated.
If you don't get on with the new UI, go back to betas again, and select "opt out of all betas", and it'll revert back to the old UI. Hope this helps :)

Go into the steam library, and right click rF2. Select properties, and then select betas. In the drop down menu select "public beta". close the properties, and wait till rF2 has updated.
If you don't get on with the new UI, go back to betas again, and select "opt out of all betas", and it'll revert back to the old UI. Hope this helps :)

Thank you! I thought along these lines but there are so many beta versions, I had no idea which one to choose :)

My patience with rF2 is almost at its end, i picked up Spa recently because y'know....Spa! But after a few laps, I feel it will be my final purchase in this sim.

While I've had some fun moments in the rF2 , frustration and disappointment are beginning to outweigh positive experiences.

Physics and FFB have long been my main draw to this sim but these alone can no longer mask the inadequacies elsewhere.

Usability - The "new UI" has been in development for at least 2 years and counting and still hasn't made the user experience easier, quicker or generally better. While it fashions a more modern color palette and style, it lacks functionality and has shown little progress in terms of usability. It seems like a massive development time sink for marginal returns.

Online/multiplayer - Still waiting for a competition system... rF2 has never been a sim for any sort of pickup online racing. It's pretty much league racing or nothing. I'm not going to labor this already well documented shortcoming.

Sound/Emotion - By far the least impressive of the racing sims I have played in this department. rF2 doesn't capture the detail or soul of engine sounds or the racing environment as a whole anywhere near as well as ACC/R3E. The sounds in rF2 feel synthetic and sterile by comparison. Graphics are still just "meh" even after the recent updates but are far more forgiving than the sounds in the sim.

Quality control - Very little QC/QA being applied on DLC content or to game updates. A notable example being the PBR update to Nordschleife. The update caused some noticeable visual errors with some of the curbs at the iconic track. While this issue is acknowledged in the November Roadmap and will be addressed, why must we wait weeks for it to be corrected? Why are these errors being missed in the first place? Errors will naturally occur every now and then given game development is a complicated process, however, rF2 seems more prone to these quality control issues than the other sims i use. Frankly it is disappointing and frustrating as a customer. rF2 Nordschleife is the one track that makes me return to the sim and do a few laps, so for this type of error to occur leaves the impression little or inadequate QC is taking place prior to an update.

Physics/FFB - While still one of the best driving experiences to be had in terms of physics/FFB in sim racing, it would be foolish to ignore progress being made in other sims. Right now, i feel the crown is beginning to slip with rF2. With new content and the UI taking much of the development time, i feel development has stalled on improving key areas such as a tyre degradation and modelling the transmission correctly etc.

All said and done, I still love rF2...just now a bit more like how I would love a soon to be ex-girlfriend whom I'm about to upgrade for a better one. I will still try and play every now and again...but my real interest is moving elsewhere! xD

rF2 has bags of potential and I hope S397 succeed with it eventually, I just don't have the patience or time to wait around for it as my "main go to sim" anymore.

GuitarTech

Premium
Germany
My patience with rF2 is almost at its end, i picked up Spa recently because y'know....Spa! But after a few laps, I feel it will be my final purchase in this sim.

While I've had some fun moments in the rF2 , frustration and disappointment are beginning to outweigh positive experiences.

Physics and FFB have long been my main draw to this sim but these alone can no longer mask the inadequacies elsewhere.

Usability - The "new UI" has been in development for at least 2 years and counting and still hasn't made the user experience easier, quicker or generally better. While it fashions a more modern color palette and style, it lacks functionality and has shown little progress in terms of usability. It seems like a massive development time sink for marginal returns.

Online/multiplayer - Still waiting for a competition system... rF2 has never been a sim for any sort of pickup online racing. It's pretty much league racing or nothing. I'm not going to labor this already well documented shortcoming.

Sound/Emotion - By far the least impressive of the racing sims I have played in this department. rF2 doesn't capture the detail or soul of engine sounds or the racing environment as a whole anywhere near as well as ACC/R3E. The sounds in rF2 feel synthetic and sterile by comparison. Graphics are still just "meh" even after the recent updates but are far more forgiving than the sounds in the sim.

Quality control - Very little QC/QA being applied on DLC content or to game updates. A notable example being the PBR update to Nordschleife. The update caused some noticeable visual errors with some of the curbs at the iconic track. While this issue is acknowledged in the November Roadmap and will be addressed, why must we wait weeks for it to be corrected? Why are these errors being missed in the first place? Errors will naturally occur every now and then given game development is a complicated process, however, rF2 seems more prone to these quality control issues than the other sims i use. Frankly it is disappointing and frustrating as a customer. rF2 Nordschleife is the one track that makes me return to the sim and do a few laps, so for this type of error to occur leaves the impression little or inadequate QC is taking place prior to an update.

Physics/FFB - While still one of the best driving experiences to be had in terms of physics/FFB in sim racing, it would be foolish to ignore progress being made in other sims. Right now, i feel the crown is beginning to slip with rF2. With new content and the UI taking much of the development time, i feel development has stalled on improving key areas such as a tyre degradation and modelling the transmission correctly etc.

All said and done, I still love rF2...just now a bit more like how I would love a soon to be ex-girlfriend whom I'm about to upgrade for a better one. I will still try and play every now and again...but my real interest is moving elsewhere! xD

rF2 has bags of potential and I hope S397 succeed with it eventually, I just don't have the patience or time to wait around for it as my "main go to sim" anymore.
This is what I've been saying now for some time, over on the S397 Forum I've been catching some flak due to my criticism of S397s glacial work speed, and their lack of communication skills when dealing with their userbase.
It's only a matter of time till the fanbois here wake up and get all precious about people like us, and say we're being unfair, and don't realise how hard their job is etc., etc.
S397s time for lame excuses is slowly running out, they've had four years now to get their sh*t together, and my patience as user is slowly running out too..

Last edited:
This is what I've been saying now for some time, over on the S397 Forum I've been catching some flak due to my criticism of S397s glacial work speed, and their lack of communication skills when dealing with their userbase.
It's only a matter of time till the fanbois here wake up and get all precious about people like us, and say we're being unfair, and don't realise how hard their job is etc., etc.
S397s time for lame excuses is slowly running out, they've had four years now to get their sh*t together, and my patience as user is slowly running out too..

Guys, what are our alternatives for offline multiclass endurance racing (GTE/LMP) with day/night cycles and random weather? Only one I know of is PC2. Anything I have missed?
Sometimes I wish I'd be interested in GT3 titles:)

Thanks for the ideas, guys!
Had a look into AMS2 already and ATM it doesn't have the cars/tracks that are important to me (LeMans, Sebing, Monza) - but it for sure has a LOT of future potential.
Will revisit GTR2 (I lost track of what's going on there quite some time ago) - I know it has huge loads of content available. Will see if it's still up to the modern times.

Hi, in my view the most important aspect is the multi-thread with respect to cores utilized. All the sims using some form of the ISI engine, even if heavily modified ( RROOM, PCAR2, AMS2) they depend always in one core, with all the other cores utilized maybe at the max 25%, because of that almost all the people that only monitor the cpu ocupation percentage will only see maybe 20% to 25% max of occupation, while one core could be almost at max..because of that, the GPU is not so important in RF2, even in VR, we are always cpu limited. I always have a core at 45% to 85%, while the next most occupied core is at maybe 20%, not even that..and the rest of the cores, over between 0% and 5 to 10%. I noticed that with the others sims with some modified ISI engine, the same happens, but not so much as in RF2. In my opinion the engine that uses all the cores evenly is Dirt Rally 2. So if they don´t update the engine, all the graphics evolution will make the engine even more CPU dependent.

I am really looking forward to the introduction of an Offline Championship Mode, its one area where the Sim has been seriously lacking as as someone who doesn't have the time to for leagues, I haven't played this as much as I have Raceroom and ACC.

I am really looking forward to the introduction of an Offline Championship Mode, its one area where the Sim has been seriously lacking as as someone who doesn't have the time to for leagues, I haven't played this as much as I have Raceroom and ACC.
It won't happen immediately. Online comp system will remain the focus for some time. But at least the framework is there.

It won't happen immediately. Online comp system will remain the focus for some time. But at least the framework is there.
Yeah, no worries. I have plenty of other games to play in the meantime, but it least it looks like its moving in the right direction. Until an offline championship is added, its nothing much more than a hot lap simulator.