rFactor 2 | New Build Update and Indianapolis PBR Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have today released a new build to the rFactor 2 racing simulation, alongside a new PBR shader update and refresh of the popular Indianapolis Motor Speedway circuit within the sim.
  • Indianapolis 2020 V1.06 released.
  • New build update addresses the first pass of fixes and optimizations.
  • Build update available as opt in release candidate.
rF2 Indy Update 3.jpg

Studio 397 have today released both a new build update to the core rFactor 2 simulation, alongside the much anticipated refresh of the classic Indianapolis Motor Speedway Steam Workshop circuit for the title.

In terms of the build update, the new release today adds a number of fixes and quality of life improvements to the title - the most recent build in what the Dutch development team have promised is the start of a concerted effort to address many of the outstanding issues within the simulation.

Build Update Notes
  • We’ve removed the Max 2012 plugins as they no longer work, and provided the last working Max 2017 plugins. We have no intention to upgrade them any longer as we can’t get these versions of Max any more to test. Furthermore, we urge the modding community to upgrade to current Max versions.
  • Fixed: Reflection mapper in Scene Viewer, so it renders from the same point as the user sees.
  • Fixed: Bind a mouse click to any input control.
  • Fixed: Issues with showroom performance.
  • Fixed: Missing error prompt when textures are missing from content.
  • Fixed: Issue with a white screen you get when you try to assign a control.
  • Fixed: Visible damage sometimes corrupting car bodies, to properly fix the hotfix that temporarily disabled the visible damage.
  • Fixed: Issue where clouds could show similar corruption as car bodies.
  • Fixed: Showroom Upgrades not displaying which require MAS Files.
  • Fixed: Glitch where “the lights would suddenly go off” when transitioning from light to dark at dusk.
  • Fixed: Exploit where you could still set the FE car to use 250kW in the setup in a race when that setting is reserved for “attack mode”.
  • Fixed: Overlays would not correctly follow the attack mode countdown timing.
  • AIW Editor: Added new line smoothing option, and added soft selection for manual adjustments.
  • Added an internal option to the player.json to turn off multi-threading in the UI. Defaults to “on”.
  • Added code support so we can detect a disabled Steam overlay, to warn you about why a shopping cart won’t show up.
  • Changed how a dedicated server shuts down when asked so it no longer crashes with a non-zero return code.
  • Pausing sessions in a dedicated server will now only pause the first one.
  • Increased an internal timeout when talking to Steam to give it more time before we give up or retry.
  • Scene Viewer Changes: Moved Web UI Port to 5396 by default and added support for up to 128 scenes in configuration file
In a change from the normal procedures with build releases, this new update will be available to players as a special 'Release Candidate' branch of rFactor 2 - meaning the current public version of the simulation remains unchanged, and platers can choose to 'opt in' to this new update right-clicking rFactor 2 in your Steam library, and selecting ‘Properties – betas – release-candidate’.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway Update

rF2 Indy Update 4.jpg

rF2 Indy Update 2.jpg

In other rFactor 2 news, the studio have also deployed a new update to the free Indianapolis Motor Speedway circuit, adding a wide range of improvements to one of the older circuits within the simulation.

You can check out the changes in the latest build notes below:
  • Update of 2013 Release to 2020.
  • Replaced 2013 layout with modern equivalent
  • Full PBR Conversion of all assets
  • Replaced Crowds with new assets
  • Replaced Marshals with new assets
  • Added Pitlane Props (Pit Stands, Fuelling Rigs, Pit Markers)
  • Added accurate background nightlighting
  • Added Advertisements
  • Added building at Road Course S1
  • Improved various assets such as armco barriers
  • AI Updates to 2007 GP and Modern GP layouts.
  • Various other improvements and tweaks

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Our community have answers! Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for a great way to engage with your fellow fans of the simulation.

rF2 Indy Update 6.jpg
rF2 Indy Update 7.jpg

Last edited:
The new version from Indy is a bad joke, looks awful. And I see the new UI still can't remember what video settings my system has from one session to another, I love having to set the graphic options every time I start the frickin' game. What the hell, the old UI couldn't remember them either :thumbsdown:
And the player names bug hasn't been fixed either. And the FCY bug, and the flickering when changing pages in the UI. And, and, and......
One step forward, two steps back..As Derek from Vice Grip Garage would say: will it ever run?...probably not....:D
Yeah this Indy certainly isn't something id be releasing on the same day as ACC releasing 3 new tracks in their typical as always beautiful fashion! When you jump from new content in rF2 to ACC its like stepping into the future :whistling:

The new Indianapolis looks very good. At least it does on my setup, at 4K with graphics maxed out.
However some time of day/weather combos can make it a bit dull color wise. At 10am or 3:30pm with sunny weather, it looks excellent. rF2 did not go for gamey saturated eye-popping colors aesthetics, but for a more muted palette. It is an interesting artistic choice, different from other comparable sims.
In my experience, every sim between rF2, ACC, AMS2 can graphically give any other sim of that list a run for its money in specific conditions (track/time of day/weather). Although rF2 is not the best at looking consistently good on a variety of combos.

In any case, the 2020 GP Layout of Indianapolis is a blast with the McLaren MP4/13 !

Last edited:
How the track looks is largely affected by time of day / weather. I can look dull or awesome depending on that combo. This is true for most racing sims offering 24h day cycle and weather. Sim that have baked lighting (AC, R3E) have it so it always looks good since it never changes.
I think that Asetto Corsa does not have "baked" lighting.

Basically you are comparing DCS (rF2) with AceCombat (ACC)... visually... physics is another topic I suppose lol
Not much point having the gold standard of physics and ffb when your product is mess in presentation and content. Very little mod content on Rf2 is up to the standard of the newer tracks, you take that away and there's not much to Rf2 really.

I bought Monaco and Nordschleife and didn't even think they were great looking compared to PC2. The game feels a generation behind now, I occasionally have blast on it but I think my days off paying for a car and track here and there are done. I want a whole package like ACC offers.

Not much point having the gold standard of physics and ffb when your product is mess in presentation and content

Excellent point, I would also like to add that not every one agrees that RF2 has superior physic and or FFB, but because beside those 2 features, RF2 is so obviously lacking, the RF2 white knights always tout them as superior.
Obviously RF2, on some limited content, can demonstrate excellent physic and FFB, but so do other sim, this is 2021, not 2016 anymore.
In any case, just great physic and FFB does not cut it anymore, not for me and many other.
One can only spend so much time driving a couple LMP2 around Sebring.
We are all greatfull S397 stubbornly keep trying to improve RF2, all improvements will be welcome, but thanks god, we have other SIM to sctrach the itch for SIM racing as a total package.

Last edited:
just to be clear, I am the first one to say rF2 is an utterly mess so don't think I am defending it my point is that most advanced sims out there suffer the same oddities, very good physics but bad graphics is one of them, so judging them based on the latest sometimes can be detrimental towards the main focus of such titles, the simulation part.

Last edited:
Obviously RF2, on some limited content, can demonstrate excellent physic and FFB, but so do other sim, this is 2021, not 2016 anymore.
In any case, just great physic and FFB does not cut it anymore, not for me and many other.

Speaking of physics vs presentation. There is huuuuuuge issue within simracers themselves globaly in simracing.

Simracers don't care about physics. What most simacers need is to feel like stuff is real, they will not look for evidence. Very few simracers out there are in this thing for understanding realism, most are for the prestige of realism, which doesn't matter if it is realistic or not, what matters is the image. At this point the widely accepted realism factor of simulations is becomign smaller and smaller talk, with less and less evidence, less and less observation and ending up being based solely on random stuff people say, and how much they say it.

Simracing has been washed out. And simracing media is one to blame for it. There are no authorities here in RaceDepartment who would speak physics and realism, would create educating and interesting articles to help to keep simacers brain from death. The big youtubers has next to zero clue about physics, except Niels of course, but is he being heard when he has real talk ? The sim reddit is just big advertising center for rigs, hardware and boxes. I would also like to thank every simracign manager for finding most profitable physics instead of most realistic and also for successfully pursuing eSports instead of doing this for the sake of enthusiasm, I want realism in simracing, not real life marketing shenanigans which racing basically is all about IRL.

So lets pat each other on the backs, fan of any simacing title, developer of any consumer market simracing software, simracing content creator. We have reached as much as we deserve, maybe too much, future will show. Also thanks Covid for accelrating everything.

The golden age of simracing has ended few years ago. Its downhill from there. This is the time of licenses, graphics, sounds, user interfaces, eSports, and being mechanically illiterate.

Last edited:
Yeah, rf2 graphics arent on the level of ACC, two different engines with each their take on how to do things. One MASSIVE difference is the performance though. Want to run triples 144hz/fps in rf2? Sure, but you'll need mid to high end hardware. Want to run triples in ACC the same way? Good luck finding hardware that runs it. I still believe running triples maxed out in ACC requires a GPU not invented yet...

Last edited:
That is why I only drive in this game, not take any screenshots despite it has some really great cars.

I don't have as much time as other sim racers to enjoy racing, so my aim is usually to get as many laps in as possible. But when my eyes are as happy as my hands I feel compelled to watch the replay to relive the visual pleasure... I don't intend to take screenshots, but sometimes I can't keep my finger off of the F12 key!!

The golden age of simracing has ended few years ago. Its downhill from there. This is the time of licenses, graphics, sounds, user interfaces, eSports, and being mechanically illiterate.
Good post, except for this; what are you talking about man? I've been into simracing since 1994, before everyone went online, until now without breaks and simracing has never been more popular thanks to covid shutdowns. Just ask hardware manufactures and software developers, they're shipping out stuff more than ever. Back in the day we would be lucky to have 100 spectators for our 24H races, now we see millions of viewers for races like the 24H of Le Mans Virtual.

Last edited:
@Jan Larsen True it is more popular, and likely will continue getting more popular. But is popularity a virtue ? Hollywood is also more popular than it used to be in 30s, 40s, 50s. More advanced too. But do they make better movies ?

Let's stay on topic.

That post truly belong in the rant thread and opens up a potentially fascinating discussion.
Just maybe not in this thread which is about rF2.

Thats why I saved what I wrote into text document, I anticipated you guys will delete what I say ASAP as it is not too much on the topic and I have been there already, but anyway no "hotfix" or "update/new build" topics are about some clear topics, no clear discussions in these articles anyway, so I usually just respond to somebody.

Last edited:
This is the time of licenses, graphics, sounds, user interfaces, eSports, and being mechanically illiterate.

I truly love the enthusiasm here and the sticking it to the hardcore vibe!! It will surely get some interesting responses!!

I do ask, what are we supposed to get out of simracing? What is the transcendental plane we are forgoing in search of things like IMMERSION? Slightly better physics? Better tire heating characteristics? Anyone who's driven a car hard will know that the forces experienced there will never be reproduceable on a computer in my basement. But you know what? RRRE, AC, ACC, AMS, AMS2, - I'll say it, even PC2 - they all get us closer than anywhere we've been in the past. Let's say 95% of the way there. And what's wrong with wanting to race against REAL liveries, REAL drivers, on REAL tracks that are photorealistic?

What would most PAYING CUSTOMERS want out there? Enhanced IMMERSION or more accurate steering arm flex characteristics? Leave the latter to the sims backing formula 1 teams. Sim racing can be simplified to a quest for realism. Is realism limited to tyre slip calculations and yaw/downforce ratios? Or can it include what we see and hear?

Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth and disputing those. I probably should have waited till you answered the first 2 questions. But I still love your message, and would rather read more from you than less!!

@Ryan Soucy Hey, thanks. I don't say anything is unimportant. But I don't like when important things get compromised, and more importantly I am worried by the attitude. I get the fun and immersion part, but at least for me real thing physics looks like it couldn't be more fun than that, so any noticeable principally incorrect observable mismatch is surely not desirable by me. The problem is that these things has to be observed to be understood. There are plenty of interesting details to pay attention in real thing, and they should be expected to be happening very similarly in simulation. I use a word "principally" because I am not that fanatic, I can live with inaccuracies, but if I suspect and see evidence of a car simply not doing something right and not being anywhere close to how it should work, then it is not what I want to have to use my time with. Basically what I am trying to say is that the realism in consumer market simulation inevitably depends on what the average guy will feel and want to believe being true. And if there will be more mechanical illiteracy and if there will be less observant guys then the bar of "realistic enough" physics will go down, and will switch more into "likeable enough" rather than "realistic enough", and it has been already happening for few years. Basically every barely realistic simulation already can be considered as "state of the art". I am worried about rF2 because, not only S397 does not seem to extract best from rF2 physics IMO, but also the underlying physics of rF2 are getting nivelated with less advanced simulations by common simracer more and more often. It is a signal of physics not being desirable anymore, most likely because most guys expectations for physics realism are fully fulfilled and has settled down as "correct" versions of alternate reality.

Yeah, rf2 graphics arent on the level of ACC, two different engines with each their take on how to do things. One MASSIVE difference is the performance though. Want to run triples 144hz/fps in rf2? Sure, but you'll need mid to high end hardware. Want to run triples in ACC the same way? Good luck finding hardware that runs it. I still believe running triples maxed out in ACC requires a GPU not invented yet...

here you go, quad 3090s, might be able to play ACC in VR with this? Cant wait till the "new" release by kunos on UE5 comes out.. we can rent turns on ILM's supercomuter infrascructure to get 25fps..
1613072783653.png

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back