rFactor 2 | New Build Update and Indianapolis PBR Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have today released a new build to the rFactor 2 racing simulation, alongside a new PBR shader update and refresh of the popular Indianapolis Motor Speedway circuit within the sim.
  • Indianapolis 2020 V1.06 released.
  • New build update addresses the first pass of fixes and optimizations.
  • Build update available as opt in release candidate.
rF2 Indy Update 3.jpg

Studio 397 have today released both a new build update to the core rFactor 2 simulation, alongside the much anticipated refresh of the classic Indianapolis Motor Speedway Steam Workshop circuit for the title.

In terms of the build update, the new release today adds a number of fixes and quality of life improvements to the title - the most recent build in what the Dutch development team have promised is the start of a concerted effort to address many of the outstanding issues within the simulation.

Build Update Notes
  • We’ve removed the Max 2012 plugins as they no longer work, and provided the last working Max 2017 plugins. We have no intention to upgrade them any longer as we can’t get these versions of Max any more to test. Furthermore, we urge the modding community to upgrade to current Max versions.
  • Fixed: Reflection mapper in Scene Viewer, so it renders from the same point as the user sees.
  • Fixed: Bind a mouse click to any input control.
  • Fixed: Issues with showroom performance.
  • Fixed: Missing error prompt when textures are missing from content.
  • Fixed: Issue with a white screen you get when you try to assign a control.
  • Fixed: Visible damage sometimes corrupting car bodies, to properly fix the hotfix that temporarily disabled the visible damage.
  • Fixed: Issue where clouds could show similar corruption as car bodies.
  • Fixed: Showroom Upgrades not displaying which require MAS Files.
  • Fixed: Glitch where “the lights would suddenly go off” when transitioning from light to dark at dusk.
  • Fixed: Exploit where you could still set the FE car to use 250kW in the setup in a race when that setting is reserved for “attack mode”.
  • Fixed: Overlays would not correctly follow the attack mode countdown timing.
  • AIW Editor: Added new line smoothing option, and added soft selection for manual adjustments.
  • Added an internal option to the player.json to turn off multi-threading in the UI. Defaults to “on”.
  • Added code support so we can detect a disabled Steam overlay, to warn you about why a shopping cart won’t show up.
  • Changed how a dedicated server shuts down when asked so it no longer crashes with a non-zero return code.
  • Pausing sessions in a dedicated server will now only pause the first one.
  • Increased an internal timeout when talking to Steam to give it more time before we give up or retry.
  • Scene Viewer Changes: Moved Web UI Port to 5396 by default and added support for up to 128 scenes in configuration file
In a change from the normal procedures with build releases, this new update will be available to players as a special 'Release Candidate' branch of rFactor 2 - meaning the current public version of the simulation remains unchanged, and platers can choose to 'opt in' to this new update right-clicking rFactor 2 in your Steam library, and selecting ‘Properties – betas – release-candidate’.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway Update

rF2 Indy Update 4.jpg

rF2 Indy Update 2.jpg

In other rFactor 2 news, the studio have also deployed a new update to the free Indianapolis Motor Speedway circuit, adding a wide range of improvements to one of the older circuits within the simulation.

You can check out the changes in the latest build notes below:
  • Update of 2013 Release to 2020.
  • Replaced 2013 layout with modern equivalent
  • Full PBR Conversion of all assets
  • Replaced Crowds with new assets
  • Replaced Marshals with new assets
  • Added Pitlane Props (Pit Stands, Fuelling Rigs, Pit Markers)
  • Added accurate background nightlighting
  • Added Advertisements
  • Added building at Road Course S1
  • Improved various assets such as armco barriers
  • AI Updates to 2007 GP and Modern GP layouts.
  • Various other improvements and tweaks

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Our community have answers! Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for a great way to engage with your fellow fans of the simulation.

rF2 Indy Update 6.jpg
rF2 Indy Update 7.jpg

Last edited:
It looks better in the dark... Not to be a negative Nancy, but I can't into rF2 partly because of the subpar track textures. The cars look darn good, but there is lighting weirdness and track textures that compare woefully to AMS1. In the top photo, the grass looks recycled and the blocks look as simple as can be. The picture of the front straight looks cartoony, there is little photorealism compared to PC2, AC, heck, even RRRE. Am I the only one who still feels this way? I know people love the physics, but I just think that this game is further behind in usability and presentation than the other sims are in physics.

It looks better in the dark... Not to be a negative Nancy, but I can't into rF2 partly because of the subpar track textures. The cars look darn good, but there is lighting weirdness and track textures that compare woefully to AMS1. In the top photo, the grass looks recycled and the blocks look as simple as can be. The picture of the front straight looks cartoony, there is little photorealism compared to PC2, AC, heck, even RRRE. Am I the only one who still feels this way? I know people love the physics, but I just think that this game is further behind in usability and presentation than the other sims are in physics.

Totally agree - these screenshots are not very impressive to say the least. Its weird because they have made the best looking Spa in simracing imo.

How the track looks is largely affected by time of day / weather. I can look dull or awesome depending on that combo. This is true for most racing sims offering 24h day cycle and weather. Sim that have baked lighting (AC, R3E) have it so it always looks good since it never changes.

Last edited:

The palette that rf2 uses does seem to be a bit on the dull side, but, PC(2) and AC(C) don't represent what real life looks like either. It may look pleasing, but that's subjective. They are more a representation of what is happening in highly digitized cinema. Bloom, for instance, is a diffusion of light passing through a lens before it reaches our eyes.

To me, rf2's version of the Nordschleife is moody and foreboding while AC's is cartooish in comparison. Also love iRacing's version - their colors make sense to my brain.

No, because it was more important to make sure,
  • we can detect a disabled Steam overlay, to warn you about why a shopping cart won’t show up.

OK, thanks. Can't say I'm surprised. Forced to stay on old UI I guess then.

I agree that the indy photo looks pathetic really. Especially when compared with how fantastic their brand new Spa turned out. Hopefully it looks better in game.

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 78 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 116 28.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 67 16.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 40 9.7%