rF2: The Big Interview - Submit Your Questions Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Le Mans Previe.jpg

We are soon going to interview Marcel Offermans, the head of Studio 397 and the rFactor 2 racing simulation, and we want your questions!

The last few months have seen a whirlwind of development and improvements for rFactor 2, with some significant changes to the simulation taking place as well as a number of high profile car and track licence announcements - not least of which is the legendary combination of the Nordschleife and Le Mans 24 Hour circuits coming to the title.

Following on from the successful Automobilista 2 interview, I'm looking to tour round all the major developers and have a word about how things are going in their respective simulations - starting with a discussion with Studio 397 and their rFactor 2 racing title.

In order to ensure we get to the bottom of the questions our community want to know, I'm asking you to submit your questions for Marcel in the comments section below, and I'll do my best to ask as many of them as possible when we have a discussion next week.

Feel free to submit a question about anything and everything you always wanted to know about rFactor 2 in the comments section below!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

My question is this...
Will there be any emphasis placed on setting up any RF2 dedicated servers, strictly for pick-up racing with original content?
Leagues are a good thing, but not everybody has the time to join one.
That should not be a limiting factor to good on-line racing.
Original RF was great in that regard, prior to some mods being introduced and causing mismatches.
RF2 started right off the bat with the problem.
Tried joining any race recently that isn't invite only? ...It is next to impossible.
Most of the time missing components on independent servers take forever to download or simply fail at installation.

Last edited:
A lot of stuff I'd like to ask I know is coming and will just wait to see how it is :)

The main questions I have is will it happen:

• Better wet surfaces simulation, viscous and dynamic hydroplaning. Will it happen ? (for those who don't know what it is google, and stop describing viscous hydroplaning as rubber being slippery when wet).

• Better gearboxes, drivetrain simulation. Will it happen ?

• More graphics (besides PBR) improvements. Will it happen ?

• Sound improvements. Will it happen ?

• More variety in cars content, more calssics, more range in years, more range in vehicle types. Will it happen ?

Can you promise you wont talk to Ian Bell;)
- Nowadays the community wants graphics instead of physics as graphics are directly visible, and thus understandable, and physics are not: a direct outcome of Reiza going Madness=they will receive a huge chunk of the Project Cars community who are not interested in physics layers.
How do you stand up against this change with rF2 in the future as more and more people choose for graphics and content instead of true simulation?

With its strong emphasis on modding and the inclusion of pre and post S397 first party content, the quality of cars and tracks in RF2 is mixed. Yet the more recent S397 content, for example Sebring and the Gen 2 Formula E car, is sublime. Like many of us, I have limited time to race so I’m only interested in such high quality content. Do you plan to round out the inventory with five star content and retire or upgrade lesser cars / tracks?

Will rF2 have rumble support on controller?
Will rF2 have an option to enable trackmap on the hud? Pretty much every other racing sim has had this option for years.
Will rF2's AI have improvements to race properly in the rain without pitting on every lap?

I'd like to know about more pit stop work
Mandatory pits with pit window (u got 2 official GT3 packs, this is a must have)
Min pit timer stop (like ADAC GT)
Larger pit stalls as people requested in the forums
Pit stop animations at some point?

One more question: why didnt they switch to the lumberyard engine instead updating their own?

As everyone has asked great questions, will we have a return of the dev blogs? Michael Borda's blog was excellent; are these to be continued at some point?

I would love to read blogs from the track teams etc too.

Could be interesting of course, but for me there are much more important things, the devs should take care of, than writing blogs.

1. Do you intend to fix the erratic and often bizarre AI behaviour on wet track where they pit every lap and are either too fast or excruciating slow or the idea is to left broken forever?

2. When are you fixing the faded sun light of your graphics engine? I can identify rf2 source of any screenshot just seeing the pale sun light on picture.

3. When you gonna implement a minimally decent gearbox model?

Driving the GT3 cars developed by studio 397 on the Sebring track is something great.
But the same does not happen when running on the other tracks, even those that are improved by Studio.
As an example, spin the tires (burn off)on Porsche at Zandvoort is almost impossible, even with the TC is off.
So I ask: Is there anything different in the physics on the Sebring track relative to other existing ones for RF2?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.