RF2 Sim Racing Expo News

Paul Glover

I talk lots
RF2 Nords.jpg

This weekend at the Sim Racing Expo Studio 397 have provided rFactor 2 fans updates on two long awaited additions.

At the expo in 2018 we first heard that the famous Nordschleife would be coming to the sim, a year later fans have been asking where the track was. Recently Studio 397 hosted their own 24 hour at Le Man that was to be red flagged due to performance issues, therefore much of their focus has been understanding these issues and working to resolve them so you could understand if the track was delayed.

It was pleasing to hear that they had an update for us, they have said the track should arrive in the next two to three weeks along with a new Porsche Cup.

rFactor 2 fans have also been wondering where is the teased new UI, well Studio 397 have for the first time allowed fans to see what it looks like and broadcast a live video from the expo which is available on their Twitch channel. They have not given any hints to when it will be released.

As well as these two updates we are also expecting a second update to the game which is to further improve performance and stability, therefore lots of excitement ahead for the game. So watch this space!

Kunos shared something

Summary

Kunos may not stick with UE4 in the longer term
2019 season update for ACC due (hopefully) end Oct
No Nords for ACC (no surprise)
Further dlc planned for ACC (no surprise)
Oh boy, a certain user that loves to lick UE4 and say it's the best thing ever made will be disappointed
I'm just glad S397 played the wait and see approach instead of jumping into the UE4 ship. The engine is great... for other stuff.

S397 just ban people quickly.
This is so false, it takes a long time to get banned from anything S397. Way longer than it should.

Last edited:
Might have been for GTR2? I remember being able to drive thru the traffic barrier and reconnecting with the track at the top of the hill after the first Karrusell. It might not have been an actual roadway, now that I think of it, but a hack to knock a minute or so off your time. (not that I would ever do such a thing)
I remember an SCGT version of Nords had the Steilstrecke.

The track looks great, but Studio397, please,improve these trees and vegetation. Even Lemans where the track is a high quality standard the trees look flat and with a wrong lighting. Studio397 should really address this issue in all the tracks.

I feel the same. From the first scene in the trailer, something was wrong about the trees, then watching the race, while all the details around the track look all good, the trees are just don't belong there, and the shadows look horrible at some places.

And as you mentioned LeMans, absolutely the same issue there, while the track itself and surrounding objects are well done, seems like huge shortcut was done on the trees.

That is actually every sim.

Almost agree. rF2, ACC, PC2 and iRacing I would rate as most "hated".

AC seems to have got passed its hated phase now its in the hands of the "hero" modders. Hatred is often aimed at developers as much as the sim, and now AC is no longer being developed I think that removes some of the hate.

R3E just doesn't seem to excite much emotion either way.

AMS I would rate as least hated/most loved but its also the least played and by some margin. Go figure :)

UE4 has been a terrible choice, especially with respect to triple support, VR and shadow popping. I think it was a bad choice for ACC and they know that now. Unfortunately, it will take them years to move on to another effort.

However, I wouldn't exactly go running around jumping up and down screaming about how great rf2's graphic engine is. RF2 has plenty of issues on the graphics side as well and it's probably on the lower end of graphics quality and performance (especially if we're only comparing DX11 titles).

Sorry but The Guy from Kunos is Right. The Sim Community especially on RaceDepartment and on YouTube is extremly toxic. Its a shame that everybody try to prodect their beloved sim which I can understand but it wont help yourself or the devs when you bashing the others. Its a childish behaviour of a lot of members in here and I need to say it shows that even the devs would implement all your wishes you would still Hate. Think about it just for a second and then you can hit the disagree button;)

Sorry but The Guy from Kunos is Right. The Sim Community especially on RaceDepartment and on YouTube is extremly toxic. Its a shame that everybody try to prodect their beloved sim which I can understand but it wont help yourself or the devs when you bashing the others. Its a childish behaviour of a lot of members in here and I need to say it shows that even the devs would implement all your wishes you would still Hate. Think about it just for a second and then you can hit the disagree button;)

I think it's a small minority of well known users who go around bashing sims except for their favourite one on other sim forums. Most of us just want to see a proper alternative to iRacing. There is much diversity and choice in sims these days, but no proper challenger to iRacing. Having a well functioning esports or competition platform should nowadays be standard in every sim who wants to take itself seriously. It's frustrating that the sim racing world in general is lagging behind compared to other esports, both in the technical side and the organization of esports or esports-like events. S397 is on the right road with having events with big names taking part and focusing on endurance, but like the Le Mans - Verstappengate showed, it's not there yet.

S397 just ban people quickly.
Peace on earth. Sw1tchblade maybe you should say sorry for whatever you did and ask to get unbanned for making it better.

The funny thing is he wasn't even banned or is at least not banned now, despite making critical posts, so where's the problem?

Of course it is toxic when you ban everyone out who has opposing opinions and build an environment of only 100% supporting people, thats the biggest toxicity IMO. This IMO the trouble with Kunos forum, I think S397 guys are more tolerant for people who may not always be positive about some things.

Each of us can think of ways how to present our "complaints" in some better way some times though. But it is often the case that toxicity itself is inflicted by the "fanboys immune system" being way too radical. I mean sometimes stuff isn't even as toxic as responses to that by fans often makes it to look like.

No one ever is going to agree with each other on absolutely everything.

But toxicity definitely also comes from an industry pushing not so much simulation worthy titles as simulations. Personally I wouldn't mind, but that eats up the true simulations like rF2 and AMS for example, and distorts general image of what simracing should really be like. That confrontation is just inevitable and it must happen.

I think it's a small minority of well known users who go around bashing sims except for their favourite one on other sim forums. Most of us just want to see a proper alternative to iRacing. There is much diversity and choice in sims these days, but no proper challenger to iRacing. Having a well functioning esports or competition platform should nowadays be standard in every sim who wants to take itself seriously. It's frustrating that the sim racing world in general is lagging behind compared to other esports, both in the technical side and the organization of esports or esports-like events. S397 is on the right road with having events with big names taking part and focusing on endurance, but like the Le Mans - Verstappengate showed, it's not there yet.

The funny thing is he wasn't even banned or is at least not banned now, despite making critical posts, so where's the problem?

Why you need a challenger to IRacing??? Its easy buy IRacing and enjoy it, you dont need another challenger to it otherwise a lot of people would complain its also to expensive like IRacing;). Thats why IRacing is Special and when you Race their you can be sure that the other drivers take it as serious as you. But that simracing lacking against other esports is totally incorrect. I dont now any esports title which is nearer to the real thing than sim racing. Period.

What I was getting at was not about him being right or wrong. I would kinda agree with *some* of the things he says tbh, though I would probably still word it differently, at least if I was in his shoes.

But my point was he should not be saying this in the first place. It's unprofessional and, as I said, comes off as fairly arrogant (especially if you at the same time complain about the customers *and* talk about how your product is better than those complaining people say). It's that one disadvantage businesses have compared to their customers - they can't just say whatever they think, even if they really don't like it or don't agree with it. They may very well *think* some of their customers are complaining assholes, but they should never just straight out go and say it publicly, much less talk about it for like 8 minutes straight.

(And no, before someone says it, it's not about being dishonest or not being allowed to have opinions or anything like that. It's all about acting like a professional in relation to your customers, regardless of whether they are actual customers or just potential.)

Last edited:
What I was getting at was not about him being right or wrong. I would kinda agree with *some* of the things he says tbh, though I would probably still word it differently, at least if I was in his shoes.

But my point was he should not be saying this in the first place. It's unprofessional and, as I said, comes off as fairly arrogant (especially if you at the same time complain about the customers *and* talk about how your product is better than some people say). It's that one disadvantage businesses have compared to their customers - they can't just say whatever they think, even if they really don't like it or don't agree with it. They may very well *think* some of their customers are complaining assholes, but they should never just straight out go and say it publicly, much less talk about it for like 8 minutes straight.

(And no, before someone says it, it's not about being dishonest or not being allowed to have opinions or anything like that. It's all about acting like a professional in relation to your customers, regardless of actual or potential.)

I agree completely on your post. Maybe Marco, Stefano and Thomas from Fanatec should take a Customer Relations course because they all lack a little bit in this area. But I can understand Marco reaction although it could be done more professional. By the way....my post wasnt against you;)

rF2: the sim simmers love to hate...
There are lots of people who care about rf2 and want it to improve. People who care post criticism. People who don't care simply do not post. Enjoy your improved loading times btw. If no one had "hated" there would have been no change.

UE4 has been a terrible choice, especially with respect to triple support, VR and shadow popping. I think it was a bad choice for ACC and they know that now. Unfortunately, it will take them years to move on to another effort.
I always thought the competizione was just a small step to make a quick throwaway title with ue4 to learn how to use it and its limitations before making a big commitment to their next big project. Maybe blancpain even threw some money their way to have their e-sport title because everybody must do e-sports nowadays.

From that new engine point of view I always expected them to have some difficulties with new engine but it could be the issues are bigger and will always be there if you try to make a racing sim with ue4. In a way it is different and the same issue with rf2. The basic functionality of rf2 is fine but it was and still is a hodgepodge of misery and limitations because so many things were initially done wrong and can not be fixed later. But the engine itself is fine. Had s397 killed rf2 and made rf3 using the rf2 engine and redone a lot of everything else the right way they would have much better sim using the rf2 engine. Kunos on the other hand is stuck with ue4 and even hard reset with new title on that engine may not fix the issues.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back