RF2 Sim Racing Expo News

Paul Glover

I talk lots
RF2 Nords.jpg

This weekend at the Sim Racing Expo Studio 397 have provided rFactor 2 fans updates on two long awaited additions.

At the expo in 2018 we first heard that the famous Nordschleife would be coming to the sim, a year later fans have been asking where the track was. Recently Studio 397 hosted their own 24 hour at Le Man that was to be red flagged due to performance issues, therefore much of their focus has been understanding these issues and working to resolve them so you could understand if the track was delayed.

It was pleasing to hear that they had an update for us, they have said the track should arrive in the next two to three weeks along with a new Porsche Cup.

rFactor 2 fans have also been wondering where is the teased new UI, well Studio 397 have for the first time allowed fans to see what it looks like and broadcast a live video from the expo which is available on their Twitch channel. They have not given any hints to when it will be released.

As well as these two updates we are also expecting a second update to the game which is to further improve performance and stability, therefore lots of excitement ahead for the game. So watch this space!

I'm not one to complain about rF2 graphics too much, but I have to admit, watching the Nordschleife races from the Expo has made a bit of a split impression on me (and reminded me of Le Mans in a way with this)...the track can look both really, really good at times, and also kinda dated at other times.

Didnt the developer talked about the Südschleife (Southloop) too? Thought they would publish them both???

You misunderstood what was being said about the Südschleife. It was never meant to be included. If I remember correctly, I think they just said that the license they got would technically cover Südschleife as well and that it might be an interesting thing to possibly add sometime in the future, if it could be done. So it was always meant as "well, maybe one day we could do that".

BTW there's a guy currently working on Südschleife for AC I believe, right here on RD. He's just not calling it Südschleife, but something like "Eifel South Track" or something like that if I remember correctly.

I'm not one to complain about rF2 graphics too much, but I have to admit, watching the Nordschleife races from the Expo has made a bit of a split impression on me (and reminded me of Le Mans in a way with this)...the track can look both really, really good at times, and also kinda dated at other times.

You misunderstood what was being said about the Südschleife. It was never meant to be included. If I remember correctly, I think they just said that the license they got would technically cover Südschleife as well and that it might be an interesting thing to possibly add sometime in the future, if it could be done. So it was always meant as "well, maybe one day we could do that".

BTW there's a guy currently working on Südschleife for AC I believe, right here on RD. He's just not calling it Südschleife, but something like "Eifel South Track" or something like that if I remember correctly.

The Eifel South Track or Südstrecke(Südschleife) you referred to is already out and not only for AC also for RF2 but its a payable mod. The creator is Sergio Loro.

Here is the Link: https://www.f3classictracks.com

In the live stream below they show off what some portions of the new UI look like, they didn't show off the competition system, the multiplayer had some filter improvements, but functioned the same. They did explain it will change based on feedback, but expect the beta to function exactly as it does today. If it bothers you today, the new UI in beta release will probably still bother you, but look more modern.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/475302804?t=12s

New UI looks like it should work well. It reminds me a bit of RaceRoom's UI with the red and white and the layout and the look of elements. It also has elements of AC1 and the AC Content Manager that I like. Very pragmatic and utilitarian. Function before form, as they say.

The fact it's being done in HTML will help them move across platforms if they should ever want to.

That would be so epic ! A pre 1967 Nordschleife ! Perhaps even 30s Nordschleife ! The purest one. I have been going through some photos of Nordschleife construction and then the first years. It was incredible, very different, a lot more open, much more like a Targa Florio which it was inspired by.

Unfortunately there is no way for it to happen, it would need tremendous skill and enthusiasm to make it, and oficial content seems to be only the top popular modern race cars and race tracks.
Agreed, it would not be cost effective for a small company like S397 to research such a project. Best we could hope for is a dedicated modder to make it his life's work.

(Speaking of Nordschleife modding, and sorry for continuing the OT discussion, I was actually kinda surprised there doesn't really seem to be a mod that would allow us to drive the Steilstrecke, aka the steep hill section that basically bypasses the Karrusell. I would even take a modern version of the track with this option, and it seems like it wouldn't even be that difficult to make, but it seems like although someone did make a mod like that long time ago, it's not available to download anywhere.)

Might have been for GTR2? I remember being able to drive thru the traffic barrier and reconnecting with the track at the top of the hill after the first Karrusell. It might not have been an actual roadway, now that I think of it, but a hack to knock a minute or so off your time. (not that I would ever do such a thing)

(Speaking of Nordschleife modding, and sorry for continuing the OT discussion, I was actually kinda surprised there doesn't really seem to be a mod that would allow us to drive the Steilstrecke, aka the steep hill section that basically bypasses the Karrusell. I would even take a modern version of the track with this option, and it seems like it wouldn't even be that difficult to make, but it seems like although someone did make a mod like that long time ago, it's not available to download anywhere.)

IRL this section still exist, but its a small road through the woods and you come out at Hohe Acht. Its used when in Races or Touristenfahrten an accident in this section happen to take out the cars at this point. I agree it would be great to have a mod with this version

I think he refers to Kunos or Sector 3 during Expo or Reiza on their monthly update...

About Nord, I don't care of it, never liked that track, boring on multy and too long...if I have to run a long stint alone I prefer Targa Florio...:inlove:

About Porsche Cup, I like it! Sounds like an interesting car to run at Imola :rolleyes:

I not surprised if they dropped UE4 .......I mean it is fine if you want candy cane

Why would they abandon it ? ........... not because of it's looks or features :O_o:

No it is the drive because compared to almost decade old ISI physics there is nothing extraordinary about it

Sim Industry needs to build their own engine and market to other developers so when i drive the same car in 6 sims it feels the same....like in real life :rolleyes:

Some people here would like you to believe as long as the lap times for the 6 cars was similar all is fine lol

Quite like the look of a new UI. Seems simplified a bit, also I don't get the comments I saw that they made the setup screen more difficult - I think it's actually much more simple now! If I want to change gears, I go to the Gears screen, if I want to change wings - I go to Wings screen, if Suspension - Suspension screen. Less searching around in the pages for a setting. I quite like it.
Though I now have questions - will current HUDs work on a new UI, or will we have to wait to make a new one? (Similar question for UI itself - will we be able to adjust it later if we want?)
And I already have a suggestion for the loading screen - I like the current "details" the game shows while loading the game, I'd personally love to see these in the new version... Also, possibility to add a custom background for the loading screen (while still keeping the minimap "interactive" loading) would be nice.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back