RF2 Sim Racing Expo News

Paul Glover

I talk lots
RF2 Nords.jpg

This weekend at the Sim Racing Expo Studio 397 have provided rFactor 2 fans updates on two long awaited additions.

At the expo in 2018 we first heard that the famous Nordschleife would be coming to the sim, a year later fans have been asking where the track was. Recently Studio 397 hosted their own 24 hour at Le Man that was to be red flagged due to performance issues, therefore much of their focus has been understanding these issues and working to resolve them so you could understand if the track was delayed.

It was pleasing to hear that they had an update for us, they have said the track should arrive in the next two to three weeks along with a new Porsche Cup.

rFactor 2 fans have also been wondering where is the teased new UI, well Studio 397 have for the first time allowed fans to see what it looks like and broadcast a live video from the expo which is available on their Twitch channel. They have not given any hints to when it will be released.

As well as these two updates we are also expecting a second update to the game which is to further improve performance and stability, therefore lots of excitement ahead for the game. So watch this space!

I often see people suggest this, and I honestly don't understand where it's coming from at all. Content Manager is a great piece of software, sure, but as far as its UI is concerned, it's quite bad IMO. Convoluted, confusing and unintuitive would be the description that first comes to my mind when describing the CM UI.

I've been holding back on buying any more RF2 content since the inexplicable VR-stutter came back, out of nowhere on my Oculus Rift.

Is it Oculus, or SteamVR? Is it RF2???

No + No since stuff like Elite Dangerous, which also uses SteamVR, works flawlessly with my Oculus, and so do Oculus-native titles like iRacing and PC2.

I hope they fix this some day...

Thanks for the agree :thumbsup: ......... I think you understand what I meant
I DONT mean the new engine should be ISI
but developed by gurus from ALL lead studio
As a side project / separate company eventually to release beta testing

Couldn't you forget various issues/ problems with hardware across sims ?
I would think that could make it worthwhile alone

Anyway it was fair comment with the inference they may drop Unreal

Oh AC and ACC are great sims which I support

I have just watched the "live feed" relating to the new UI. While lately I have been critical of rF2, I must say the new UI is very very impressive. As far as I can see, its one of the best UI's I have seen (for a RaceSim). Well done, to all involved.

Kunos shared something

Summary

Kunos may not stick with UE4 in the longer term
2019 season update for ACC due (hopefully) end Oct
No Nords for ACC (no surprise)
Further dlc planned for ACC (no surprise)

Kunos. We learned that in future we will not be using Unreal.

Me. Thank you.

Back on topic I know 397 said we’re weeks away from Nurburgring, did they say the same for the UI?

The Kunos interview would come off much better IMO if the long part where Marco complains about how annoying and toxic (he actually said it) the community is and how they know only one person in 10 actually complains and the rest like the game wasn't part of it. It comes off as fairly arrogant, I'm sorry. I know that's generally the Kunos way of communicating with their community if they don't agree with the opinion presented, and I understand the criticism can be frustrating for the developers, but it would be really better to approach it in a bit more forthcoming way and with a bit more humility. I mean just look at Marcel Offermans or Renato Simione, or any of the Sector 3 guys - it's not like they don't get criticism for what they're doing (Marcel especially), but I've never heard them talk about their community in such way.

Last edited:
The Kunos interview would come off much better IMO if the long part where Marco complains about how annoying and toxic (he actually said it) the community is and how they know only one person in 10 actually complains and the rest like the game wasn't part of it. It comes off as really arrogant, I'm sorry. I know that's generally the Kunos way of communicating with their community if they don't agree with the opinion presented, and I understand the criticism can be frustrating for the developers, but it would be really better to approach it in a bit more forthcoming way and with a bit more humility. I mean just look at Marcel Offermans or Renato Simione, or any of the Sector 3 guys - it's not like they don't get criticism for what they're doing (Marcel especially), but I've never heard them talk about their community in such way.
Few years ago I have some discussions with Kunos founder in a famous Italian sim racing community forum and yes they don’t accept criticism at all. They even have banned me.

The Kunos interview would come off much better IMO if the long part where Marco complains about how annoying and toxic (he actually said it) the community is and how they know only one person in 10 actually complains and the rest like the game wasn't part of it. It comes off as really arrogant, I'm sorry. I know that's generally the Kunos way of communicating with their community if they don't agree with the opinion presented, and I understand the criticism can be frustrating for the developers, but it would be really better to approach it in a bit more forthcoming way and with a bit more humility. I mean just look at Marcel Offermans or Renato Simione, or any of the Sector 3 guys - it's not like they don't get criticism for what they're doing (Marcel especially), but I've never heard them talk about their community in such way.
S397 just ban people quickly.

I often see people suggest this, and I honestly don't understand where it's coming from at all. Content Manager is a great piece of software, sure, but as far as its UI is concerned, it's quite bad IMO. Convoluted, confusing and unintuitive would be the description that first comes to my mind when describing the CM UI.

I do agree. In my opinion the best opponent selection options gives us RaceRoom. I was really disappointed as i saw that the new rFactor 2 UI on rFactor 2 Twitch Channel. It gives us nearly the same opponent selection options like before :-(, even if the new UI itself looks good. A little hope is that they talked about the Simracers wishes, that they (we) would want an opponent selection with e.g. classes.. I really hope that they improve the opponent selection options in a massiv way... My opinion.

Last edited:
basset-hound-eye-infection.jpg
I mean just look at Marcel Offermans or Renato Simione, or any of the Sector 3 guys - it's not like they don't get criticism for what they're doing (Marcel especially), but I've never heard them talk about their community in such way.

Marcel Offermans does humility really well. It's very endearing and I think it does help his studio. He's like a dog who drops a dead pigeon on your kitchen floor then looks at you :D:D:D

I was really disappointed as i saw that the new rFactor 2 UI on rFactor 2 Twitch Channel. It gives us nearly the same opponent selection options like before :-(, even if the new UI itself looks good. A little hope is that they talked about the Simracers wishes, that they (we) would want an opponent selection with e.g. classes.
Marcel said in the video that specific opponent selection will be part of the new UI, even though it wasn't in this video.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 163 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 280 13.5%