rF2: Nürburgring Nordschleife Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Nords Released.jpg

Teasing time now over and done - the epic Nurburgring Nordschleife for rFactor 2 is finally here.

Available now via the rFactor 2 Steam Store, the new laserscanned circuit comes complete in four different racing layouts, with Studio 397 planning to add further versions as free updates in the coming months.

Retailing for a very reasonable £10.66, the track is available to purchase now.

Happy lapping folks!

rF2 Nords Released 2.jpg
rF2 Nords Released 3.jpg

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusively available for PC.

For more news from the world of rFactor 2, check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 sub forum and join in with the community discussion. If you like racing in a clean and fun environment online, why not check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 Racing Club? Get yourself in on the action!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Do you have the same performance when adding AI cars? I have a 2080ti and a Ryzen 2700x and I'm also getting 80fps but when I add 15 AI cars I get really bad stuttering in the pitlane. Are you able maintain the same FPS in the pitlane? Might consider upgrading 2700x to 3700x as I think my CPU is becoming the bottleneck.
Does your motherboard support PCIe 4.0; if not I would have thought that upgrade would return negligible benefit?

If your 2700x overclocked?

Does your motherboard support PCIe 4.0; if not I would have thought that upgrade would return negligible benefit?

If your 2700x overclocked?
Not overclocked. 2700x to 3700x would give me 8-10fps more according to benchmarks. Not a lot but can make the difference between 80fps and 40 (everything below 80 becomes 40 in VR, Valve index)

More than happy with my old i7 3700K / Asus P8z77 V Deluxe Motherboard and a recent upgrade to a RTX2070 / running 5760x1080...although my CPU is not really stressed at all:confused: and the GPU is doing most of the work...15 GT3 cars on Nordschleife
MSI Afterburner data screenshots.
2 rF2 NORDS MSI AFTERBURNER crop.jpg
3 rF2 NORDS MSI AFTERBURNER copy.jpg

Last edited:
I like the curbs much better in this version. Got a little nervous when all of a sudden a Senna was behind me, that thing is a beast.
What I dont like is when I’m in the pits there is no indication of green light starting the session, I’ve gotten multiple stop & go’s because left too early. Is there something in hud I should enable?

Anyone on triple 1080p and i7+RTX running this? Performance?

First time im out of money and cant get the DLC... Feels bad man. I have to live the track through your words, screens and vids for now. :D

I have such a setup (8700K, RTX 2080, Triple 1080)...I'll let you know in an hour or so. On Thursday I only ran 2 laps in the Senna alone on track and it was holding at 141 FPS if I remember correctly. I'll screenshot my settings as well.

Anyone on triple 1080p and i7+RTX running this? Performance?

First time im out of money and cant get the DLC... Feels bad man. I have to live the track through your words, screens and vids for now. :D

CPU: i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz
GPU: RTX 2080 @ 2025 MHz
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz
5760 x 1080 resolution (Using G-sync)

24 Car GTE grid on the Combined circuit, 1 lap sprint race. 6pm track time, no Time Acceleration. 10 Cars Visible and tried to keep them visible at all times. Had about 3 instances of a stutter during the race, but overall it was super smooth. See settings below.

5clZxnH.jpg

xO9GpTl.jpg

Sr3vdMy.jpg

In the end I've thrown everything up and, mostly based in comments from here, I bought all S397 Stuff from Reiza Bundle, Endurance Pack to Le Mans and Nordschleife. Quite money went...

Tried Nurburgring with McLaren Senna GTR which drives more like a LMP1 prototype than a GT car itself, out of the box is able to lap 6:03 with potential to lap below 6:00. The track is very well polished as it is the McLaren, very fun to drive and believable physics. Great car!

Some observations:

a) Some parts of the track seems a bit different than I saw in other laser scanned versions, there's some blind corners that I could see the entry in AC or Gran Turismo as the RF2 version be more "steep" in some parts. This is strange since laser scanning should deliver roughly the same results across the versions except minor details.

b) I think there's a bug at 24H version when you have to cross the finish line twice to start the timing. It's a quite while driving until to register a lap time.

c) Visuals wise, I think it's the best rF2 track out. The 3D model is very well done.
But, you know, rF2 graphics engine can be a nightmare sometimes. I got FPS figures above 200 or even 300 in some track regions but it's still not a smooth gameplay for any reason. I got to mess up with Nvidia Inspector, screen setups (bordeless, windowed or full-screen) and multiple combinations of V-Sync types and no Vsync at all to reach a "acceptable" smooth gameplay, even though it's not fluid as other titles as F1-2018, AC, ACC, AMS or PC2. I really don't know what happens but I can feel rF2 is not running at the FPS numbers shown through Control + F. In the picture you can see more than 200 FPS and low CPU (i7-8700K/32Gb/1080Ti)
20190929113224_1.jpg

All in all there're many cars and tracks to test, when rF2 get a good graphics engine certainly will be the king of race simulators, for now it demands a lot to achieve minimal results.

So i spend £15 for this track and the 911 cup and the sim won't now launch, I have to use task manager to kill it and get my mouse pointer back! I've verified my game files on Steam, Cheers S397! :(

although my CPU is not really stressed at all:confused: and the GPU is doing most of the work...
Not really, that's why these stats are very deceiving on a multithreaded CPU. rF2 only really runs on like 1-2 threads, which means that even when the game is completely CPU limited and running to the maximum your CPU can run it at, you will only ever see CPU utilization below 25% just from the game alone. It can't use any more of your CPU, even though there's technically plenty available still.

So your game is very likely running almost maxed out (as it usually is), it's just that you can't tell from these stats.

But, you know, rF2 graphics engine can be a nightmare sometimes. I got FPS figures above 200 or even 300 in some track regions but it's still not a smooth gameplay for any reason. I got to mess up with Nvidia Inspector, screen setups (bordeless, windowed or full-screen) and multiple combinations of V-Sync types and no Vsync at all to reach a "acceptable" smooth gameplay, even though it's not fluid as other titles as F1-2018, AC, ACC, AMS or PC2. I really don't know what happens but I can feel rF2 is not running at the FPS numbers shown through Control + F. In the picture you can see more than 200 FPS and low CPU (i7-8700K/32Gb/1080Ti)

The problem with "smooth gameplay" is that it's not just a thing of framerate. For an image to be perceived as completely smooth, you also want the framerate to be as close as possible to a whole number multiplier of your refresh rate (because if it isn't, then some frames will be skipped, introducing perceived microstutters and/or unsmoothness - that's also why vsync on will generally give you the smoothest image if you can get the framerate high enough). And, perhaps more importantly, you ideally want the framerate to stay there, because jumps in the framerate are always very noticeable, even if the framerate itself is high enough.

It can be quite difficult to get the framerate in rF2 to be stable enough, because its framerate can vary quite a lot even from corner to corner, so even though your framerate is high, it is still all over the place and you will notice that. And basically the only way to keep it under control is to use some form of framerate limiting - so you keep the framerate locked at certain lower value (again, ideally close to a whole number multiplier of your refresh rate) and don't let it go any higher, even if it could.

It's hard to say what you should try on your system, but for a very smooth gameplay, what I do is this. I run the game in borderless window (fullscreen has less issues with smoothness for me in rF2, so it would be preferred, but I want to be using SimHub overlasy and those require windowed mode). I am using vsync - the "video" setting in rF2, the other ones are not suitable for what I do next. I have figured out my *exact* refresh rate using sites like https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate - my actual refresh rate on my pleb 60 Hz monitor is 59.95. And I use this to limit my rF2 framerate in Afterburner to 59.94 fps - in other words, to a value that's 0.01 fps lower than my refresh rate.

Doing this gives me very smooth gameplay, but with a very low input lag - it is smooth because I'm running with vsync on, but that -0.01 fps limit trick lowers input lag significantly compared to running vsync on without it (I can't tell you how exactly this works because I don't really understand it myself, I just know it works).

An even slightly better option for me would be to run vsync off (because the input lag would be lower still) and limit my framerate at 120 (double my refresh rate), but I can't hold stable 120 fps in rF2 consistently, so the end result is less smooth than the above. And limiting at 60 with vsync off is a no-go for me, that gives me random microstutter in borderless window (would probably work in fullscreen).

So these are some tips for you that you can try.

Last edited:
So i spend £15 for this track and the 911 cup and the sim won't now launch, I have to use task manager to kill it and get my mouse pointer back! I've verified my game files on Steam, Cheers S397! :(

Ok, that happened to me a couple of times too.
Sometimes it takes a long time to reload the shaders, especially at high graphics settings.
Also may have to reinstall the item - verification will not help.

In this case start with the car - test it with another track, if it fails too it is the car file.
Delete the folder and start the game, it will reload.

Also if it locks (do you have Logitech peripherals?) alt-tab worked for me, it started to load again.

...warning, the alt tab might be coincidence and it is all about being patient while the shaders are reloaded. Try lower graphics settings too. It is a big track.

All this rFactor 2 enthusiasm has really rekindled by enjoyment of the game.

I keep back tracking on my initial post in this thread.

First there was Nürburgring, this made me realize I had skipped Le Mans and before I knew it there was still Sebring. These are three super tracks that combined with the GT cars easily justify s397’s vision of RF2. They have also updated Zandvoort, so that makes at least 4 up to date tracks.

So if we’d make a list from great to the not so great, what would that be?
How do the RF2 tracks rate?

Nürburgring
Sebring, Le Mans and Zandvoort
Silverstone, Interlagos and Montreal ...
Classic Brianza/Monza, Monaco and Spa
Indianapolis

I have left out the Reiza tracks and no Mods, although I am curious where Reiza’s work fits in.

I have left out the Reiza tracks and no Mods, although I am curious where Reiza’s work fits in.
Reiza has put some pretty scenery on the tracks, like traffic or a drone. Their Imola version is not laser scanned, but detailed. I find the AMS versions to be a bit better in terms of colour palette, but the rF2 versions are definetly quality content!^^
Also the cars are enjoyable. Especially the MetalMoro AJRs with stable setup.

My Ranking of the tracks from good to "not that good":
1-Nürburgring (By far the most advanced track in rF2 in my opinion)

2-Sebring
(This track impressed me the most before the NoS and is the first time, i like Sebring to drive on, it also changed my "reservation" for rF2 tracks)

3-Ibarra
(The scenery is just well made and this track is an underdog of driving fun)

4-Imola
(Finally Imola at high detail in rF2, 'nuff said)

5-Le Mans
(It would be MUCH higher in this list, if the trees wouldn't be so "cartoonish" at noon)

6-Virginia
(I'm not the biggest fan of Virginia, but the Reiza track is just well done)

7-Guapore
(The drone)

8-Zandvoort
(Great work for a "free" track, really quite impressed)

9-Silverstone
(Pretty standard "rF2ish looking")

10-Classic
Brianza/Monza (A blast with 60s-70s Formula cars)

11-Monaco
(Pretty decent, but nothing more for me)

12-Interlagos
(Poor AI in the Descida do Lago, especially with LMP2 and it annoys me, because it is my 2nd favourite track after the NoS in general speaking)

13-Classic Spa
(No Dx Optimizations)

14-Indianapolis
(I just don't like rovals that much)

15-Montreal
(Outdated)

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling