rF2: GT3 Challengers DLC Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Along with a new roadmap posting comes a fresh update - adding a new lick of paint to the outstanding GT3 Challengers DLC for rFactor 2.

Released back on December 23rd to a very positive reception, myself very much included in that statement, Studio 397 have revisited the GT3 Challengers DLC once again, this time updating these splendid cars with some much needed new paintwork, as well as the very much anticipated new painting templates to allow our ever impressive community members to create their own colour schemes for these five GT3 spec cars.

Now, why so long after release to deploy the painting template I hear you ask? That my friends is a very good question - the answer to which is complex for a layman like me, but basically it is to do with the fact that these five cars are created using a fancy new shader technology in rFactor 2. For players this means the cars look much prettier, but for painters a new process will have to be undertaken to create liveries in future. You can read more about what this means, and to access the new documentation, here.

All in all, a busy but pleasing day for rFactor 2 fans!

GT3 Challengers Update Notes:

Aston Martin Vantage GT3
v1.31
  • Added new teams and liveries.
  • Added templates fully set up for the new material editor
Audi R8LMS GT3
v1.21
BMW M6 GT3
v1.15
McLaren 720s GT3
v1.27
Porsche 911 GT3R
v1.23

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..!

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

I can understand and respect that, physic is everything for me too, I can drive non stop in ACC and AC, as to me it feel right, on the other hand I tried Bridgehamton in RF2 with the Radical yesterday, track I know well from AC, did a couple of laps and exit the game.
We are both fortunate that we have found a SIM we like and enjoy. I have over 4000 hours in AC, how many do you have in RF2?:)
Wat too difficult keeping the car on the track? ;)

You simply analysed the graphic, which shows a plateau from 2017 to 2019 but people "disliked" your comment, probably denying the reality or the pure math.

Go figure.

Where do you see this "steady growth"? https://steamcharts.com/app/365960#All

The graph to me proves the exact opposite. There are no new players coming in because there are no distinguishable peaks that match dlc releases or patch releases for example. It looks to me it is the same old people who play rf2 and who buy all the new dlc. Only peak that really stands out is the last gt3 dlc.

I don't really find it surprising either. Rf2 is in holding pattern. The new ui is still long ways off, the online is dead (WhY dOn'T yOU jOiN a LEaGuE?) and the dlc prices are high and geared towards existing userbase. A lot of the issues that made rf2 undesirable racing sim some years ago still largely exist even though some big ticket items have been deleted. Like the incredibly stupid yearly online fee. Graphics looks better I'd guess. Modding is still unnecessarily difficult and with gjed killed off you only have 3dsmax users left. All official content is packed with encryption so there is 0 new info about new (or existing) features except tiny number of extremely well written tutorials for couple new features. So modding won't take off either in near future unless the big number of issues on that front are fixed. And even then the potential growth there is delayed because to make quality mod it takes 6 months minimum.

The new competition format and server system (which is what exactly?) could make rf2 online active and now that it looks like acc is not going to be a success (not saying it is a failure either) it could give rf2 a chance. Fixing the online in rf2 is big task just like fixing graphics or ui is. Does rf2 have critical mass of users for succesful online though? Any scheduled racing system needs decent amount of players so you get races with different cars with other people when you want (or can do a race) and rf2 doesn't have that. If your only option is gt3 races with 50€ entry fee in content dlcs prices then that is not your source of new players either. With that money you can buy acc and ac both soon I think.

Any new reiza offerings are just a distant dream at this point so there is no threat there. Ac is still drawing in big numbers with big unofficial updates that add massively interesting things to the game. Getting many players from there to switch is difficult.

The new ui could give rf2 some growth at least. But basic ui functionality at this point in the game's long history is not a silver bullet anymore either. The way I see it rf2 needs to add lots of functionality that is not very exciting in terms of headlines but is important for the usability and functionality of the sim going forward. Those functions are more like the base on top of which you can build a successful sim. Not something you can add later on with big influx of new users. Will new ui an some kind of online racing system bring back users who don't play their copy of rf2 anymore? Yes, at least momentarily. Does it bring in new users? What does it offer that those other sims don't have? People won't switch to rf2 just because it is rf2. It needs to be better than the alternatives.

You simply analysed the graphic, which shows a plateau from 2017 to 2019 but people "disliked" your comment, probably denying the reality or the pure math.

Go figure.
I disagreed with him because of math, not to defend rf2.
If you look at peak players numbers with the exception of May 2017 spike (dx 11) it shows steady growth.
Avg players column is even more representative of steady growth.
Math basics.

If I were a math teacher and a student of mine comments these numbers with: "The graph to me proves the exact opposite" it would be instant fail.

We are talking about elementary school math here.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back