rF2: GT3 Challengers DLC Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Along with a new roadmap posting comes a fresh update - adding a new lick of paint to the outstanding GT3 Challengers DLC for rFactor 2.

Released back on December 23rd to a very positive reception, myself very much included in that statement, Studio 397 have revisited the GT3 Challengers DLC once again, this time updating these splendid cars with some much needed new paintwork, as well as the very much anticipated new painting templates to allow our ever impressive community members to create their own colour schemes for these five GT3 spec cars.

Now, why so long after release to deploy the painting template I hear you ask? That my friends is a very good question - the answer to which is complex for a layman like me, but basically it is to do with the fact that these five cars are created using a fancy new shader technology in rFactor 2. For players this means the cars look much prettier, but for painters a new process will have to be undertaken to create liveries in future. You can read more about what this means, and to access the new documentation, here.

All in all, a busy but pleasing day for rFactor 2 fans!

GT3 Challengers Update Notes:

Aston Martin Vantage GT3
v1.31
  • Added new teams and liveries.
  • Added templates fully set up for the new material editor
Audi R8LMS GT3
v1.21
BMW M6 GT3
v1.15
McLaren 720s GT3
v1.27
Porsche 911 GT3R
v1.23

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..!

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

I dont care the graphics! I play also GPL from 1998 it never being borring

Physics is everything for me.... last I drive the new Jaguar gt3 from acerto corsa blaicpain.... 3 laps on the supb graphics zolder. But it feels strange.
rfactor 2 I can drive the whole day...

I can understand and respect that, physic is everything for me too, I can drive non stop in ACC and AC, as to me it feel right, on the other hand I tried Bridgehamton in RF2 with the Radical yesterday, track I know well from AC, did a couple of laps and exit the game.
We are both fortunate that we have found a SIM we like and enjoy. I have over 4000 hours in AC, how many do you have in RF2?:)

I can understand and respect that, physic is everything for me too, I can drive non stop in ACC and AC, as to me it feel right, on the other hand I tried Bridgehamton in RF2 with the Radical yesterday, track I know well from AC, did a couple of laps and exit the game.
We are both fortunate that we have found a SIM we like and enjoy. I have over 4000 hours in AC, how many do you have in RF2?:)
So are you saying , Rf2 bridgehampton not as good as AC ..The person who made the track for AC was LilSki, and he gave permission for it to be converted by Digga for Rf2..Maybe you should drive for more than a couple of laps ??????????:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)

I have had a on & off affair with rF2 over the years but, with my current setup and FFB, it's become one of - if not, thee title I play the most frequently now. It's far from being a complete and polished title but, it has a certain appeal in the driving dynamics that keeps me engaged and wanting more.

So are you saying , Rf2 bridgehampton not as good as AC ..The person who made the track for AC was LilSki, and he gave permission for it to be converted by Digga for Rf2..Maybe you should drive for more than a couple of laps ??????????:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)
No, this not what I am saying, the track is fine, looks good, no problem with the track. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;);););).

This is going to be received as trolling by some even though I assure you that is not my intent - this is a serious question. Can someone tell me why I've probably spent a grand total of 15 minutes futzing with AC configuration settings and I've been playing since early access, have evolved from single monitors, to triples, to VR...not to mention various new peripherals switched in and out across a couple PC rebuilds...hell, for kicks and giggles I even installed it on my wife's business-grade laptop, cranked the settings down, and I kid you not it ran like butter. The last time I fired up rF2, it was close to an hour of futzing and I was only trying to run some hot laps, it's not like I was chasing photo real graphics for the RD screenshot thread or something. What snapped me out of it is I was starting to read/skim through an 80+ page (!!!) forum thread and I said to myself "what the hell am I doing with my life right now?"

I'm sorry, but what accounts for this absolute gulf between the two end user experiences? Based on the brief flashes of brilliance I have experienced in rF2 over the years, I am willing to believe that, on paper, it's the best home sim experience money can buy, but I am so done with the config file treasure hunt (I am a professional software developer, I spend half my days on some kind of config file treasure hunt, I'm not going to spend my evenings doing it as well).

I like both but particularly feel RF2 better in physics point. You have to work more in the setup of the cars to get it fine and fast on the tracks. I mean, you have to do it in AC too to get fast, but that doesn't change the whole thing like RF2. And especially about tire models, there is no compare.

This is going to be received as trolling by some even though I assure you that is not my intent - this is a serious question. Can someone tell me why I've probably spent a grand total of 15 minutes futzing with AC configuration settings and I've been playing since early access, have evolved from single monitors, to triples, to VR...not to mention various new peripherals switched in and out across a couple PC rebuilds...hell, for kicks and giggles I even installed it on my wife's business-grade laptop, cranked the settings down, and I kid you not it ran like butter. The last time I fired up rF2, it was close to an hour of futzing and I was only trying to run some hot laps, it's not like I was chasing photo real graphics for the RD screenshot thread or something. What snapped me out of it is I was starting to read/skim through an 80+ page (!!!) forum thread and I said to myself "what the hell am I doing with my life right now?"

I'm sorry, but what accounts for this absolute gulf between the two end user experiences? Based on the brief flashes of brilliance I have experienced in rF2 over the years, I am willing to believe that, on paper, it's the best home sim experience money can buy, but I am so done with the config file treasure hunt (I am a professional software developer, I spend half my days on some kind of config file treasure hunt, I'm not going to spend my evenings doing it as well).
What are your system specs; I was always chasing that extra FPS.

These days everything on max GTX1070 and i5 6600k both over clocked.

AI apprx 40, 60 FPS locked

Maybe you should drive for more than a couple of laps ??????????:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)

+1

Few laps ? maybe green track or low rubber ?
rF2 takes a couple laps for tyres
AC I can fling a car around on lap 1

AC Monza you flog into Curva Grande lap 1
rF2 you are tip toeing even with good rubberized surface
So as much as I like AC there is no comparison in this regard

Terrain for me nothing comes close to the original ISI Historic Tracks ...which means when I drive a track with lesser terrain it feels wrong, lifeless.
Many rF2 layouts like that, no one said it's perfect

So as much as I like AC there is no comparison in this regard
The track rubberisation in AC is as good as rf2.. maybe you did not go to a server with it enabled? I start with 86% and use the session transfer so it builds up over the 'day' between practice, qualify and race. most servers disable it though :-/

Hope thy fix multiplayer sorting, lobby, creation of a server, etc, because every time i try to play rf2 online I ended up playing alone, sometimes mod does not download, most servers are full of AI fake players, seraching for GT or openwheel is impossible, searching for a certain track too, a disaster online.
Rf2 will pump a LOT, if it makes a lobby not only for private leagues, because the mayority of the people we don't have the time to spend on it and we only want to fire it up sometimes and play with random people. Also for group leagues creation, they should make group lobbys independent from races, as "clans" zones in some other videogames, to chat, organize, and post downloads.
Bingo!
This is the biggest reason why I have so few hours and drive Rfactor 2 so little.
Up until I purchased the Winter Pack at Christmas time, my interaction was...start RF2...search for an online race/practice...suffer disappointment at seeing and never being able to join any...shut it down and move to something else.
Marcel and his team have move the title in the right direction.
It is 'worlds' better than what ISI did.
To be quite honest, I still cannot get over the state they left it in after all that time... while expressing to folks that they needed to be patient and let them do their work.
The whole 'lifetime' payment option was nothing more than a fiasco of sorts.
Multi-player access is so much easier with all the other titles....
WHY?

@Terry Rock
This old piece of code was made for single player mostly, as i know. S397 need to maintain strong it infrastructure to support constant online races. And again adapt old code to current standards. Noone can do it quickly from scratch.
I have made public servers with a 56k modem in rfactor one, and it worked ok at the days, you don't need too much infraestructure as rf multiplayer code is great.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back