rF2: Aston Martin Vantage GT3 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Aston Martin Vantage GT3 2.jpg

Studio 397 have released the final car of the brand new GT3 Challengers DLC for rFactor 2 - welcome the Aston Martin Vantage GT3..

Joining the previously released Porsche 911 GT3 R, McLaren 720s, Audi R8 LMS and BMW M6 GT3 that formed the initial offering of the 'GT3 Challengers' DLC, Aston Martin have now finally given final permissions to allow Studio 397 to deploy the fifth and final car of the new pack - the world's first sim racing release of the brand new Aston Martin Vantage GT3!

Available immediately for those who have purchased the 'GT3 Challengers' DLC for rFactor 2, this new Aston represents both a welcome inclusion of the Aston Martin brand to the title, and a very first appearance for the new Vantage GT3 within a sim racing game.. not bad going is it?!

As well as the new Aston Martin, a small hotfix has been released by Studio 397 for the McLaren 720s already released as part of the DLC, the details of which can be seen below:

• Fixed an issue that caused a texture conflict with the Bentley GT3
  • Added missing steering column (mostly visible in VR)

The new car is available to download via Steam now.

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

rF2 Aston Martin Vantage GT3 1.jpg
rF2 Aston Martin Vantage GT3 4.jpg
rF2 Aston Martin Vantage GT3 3.jpg

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Clearly they get their models from different sources.
And it seems they just import the models into the engine and hope for the best.
If they bought that AM model they should get a refund. :p too late for the amg...
But its good that you can buy the cars individually.

Real car:

The rF2 GT3 interpretation of the Aston Martin sounds nothing like the real thing unfortunately :-(

Overall I think it is nice that content for rF2 gets more diverse and these DLC cars are clearly a better option to race than the now very old mod versions of these cars but overall I am quite disappointed by the mixed quality of the pack, especially so as the Porsche has gotten the worst in regard to quality attention in it's cockpit (the place you spend the most time in).

Official content in 2019 should simply not have such a wide variety of quality where one car looks, sounds and feels first rate (McLaren 720s GT3) and on the other scale a car has very shoddy cockpit 3D model quality with very low poly count objects where detail matters and yet on another end you have a car that just sounds completely different in real life.

I understand the good people at Studio 397 are very humble and hard working people and I truly admire their effort and generally very positive attitude but the quality level for official content should definitely be more polished at the game they are playing in.

Once the new UI will arrive and setting up races will be more user friendly I'll check up on rF2 again until then I am back to other racing sims.

rF2 the racing sim of "perpetual highly promising potential of what it could be"

The rF2 GT3 interpretation of the Aston Martin sounds nothing like the real thing unfortunately :-(

Overall I think it is nice that content for rF2 gets more diverse and these DLC cars are clearly a better option to race than the now very old mod versions of these cars but overall I am quite disappointed by the mixed quality of the pack, especially so as the Porsche has gotten the worst in regard to quality attention in it's cockpit (the place you spend the most time in).

Official content in 2019 should simply not have such a wide variety of quality where one car looks, sounds and feels first rate (McLaren 720s GT3) and on the other scale a car has very shoddy cockpit 3D model quality with very low poly count objects where detail matters and yet on another end you have a car that just sounds completely different in real life.

I understand the good people at Studio 397 are very humble and hard working people and I truly admire their effort and generally very positive attitude but the quality level for official content should definitely be more polished at the game they are playing in.

Once the new UI will arrive and setting up races will be more user friendly I'll check up on rF2 again until then I am back to other racing sims.

rF2 the racing sim of "perpetual highly promising potential of what it could be"
I am confused also,
because if someone passed me that car to release I would have simply refused it,

comparing this very 1st photo I found online,
and looking at the screenshots posted, personally my opinion is taking away the issues of the actual look of the Aston GT3,
they have simply not even captured the car itself, looking at this real picture there is so much details and hard edges specially at the front and the bonnet the lines are so sharp,
yes they maybe struggling with low geometry smoothing but simply leave hard edges with smoothing groups than destroy the entire car like it looks ingame currently,

when making these things the cars, some of the most finer details like wheels and mirrors and stuff,
end up quite high geometry, but from experience looking over the main issues with the car,
to make it pin sharp and nicer edges end up another 2-3000 triangles at best just tidying over the mess left,

Studio 397 are doing a stella job with RF2 no one here can deny the sheer level of work they have achieved in such a short period of time, but the guy passing these cars wants a word with,
because at this level in this business and looking at what the competition around them is doing,
its simply just not acceptable making silly mistakes like this,

at least 3-4 cars have ended up like this in the last 12 months alone, so only can presume its the same guy making these particular cars, and maybe the lack of CAD data from some manufactureres can cause these issues also, some give it some dont,
some give high quality CAD some give boxes 20k tri its mixed we all know this,

what slightly bothers me when I think about it, but its not often at best anyways,
is everyone can see these issues, obviously someone is reading the comments they are very open with the community and always have been,

but why not simply update the bad cars ?
its just a shame to see them left like this,
because AC/ACC/SMS/RR/ and iRacing all dishing out currently insane content and updates,
the only issues here I can see the cars are left like trash, but again why ?
10762b7335229acffe5efb8144b29053.png

Aston-Martin-GT3-Vantage-test-1.jpg

2b9fd2ff8338d05a510d8629e5481038.png

look at the sills on the floor lower down, headlights on the front bumper,
tailpipes missing coming out the wheel arches, no fuel filler ?
must be 20 differences here at 1st glance,
92204bcb857c133db9eb9730b115d763.png

they couldnt even get the stripes correct down the side, I seen mods with more accurate paints than these, official content with wrong liveries that dont match the real cars.

just compare this 1 single aspect then multiply this across the entire car,
like whats going on here sweet jesus.
3d825e025ec4ee88d6c94bb936ce42d1.png

e80b8aa6fdfb183bfd1996982044fc39.png

659571b3c82f3156e4bb7118bb766f9f.png

Last edited:
Lol.... you have a lot of time to look for these small issues ...I just enjoyed a 20 laps with this wonderful car at Silverstone
For someone who claims he wants "high quality graphics", you are very lenient with the shortcomings of what you bought.
Thankfully for S397, the mentality "everything the studio does is awesome" is still a thing (even if the cars aren't made by the studio, but by freelancers instead).

For someone who claims he wants "high quality graphics", you are very lenient with the shortcomings of what you bought.
Thankfully for S397, the mentality "everything the studio does is awesome" is still a thing (even if the cars aren't made by the studio, but by freelancers instead).
For me comes first physics/FFB, sound then contents. I admit that rfactor2 graphics isn’t the best, but for me it’s enough good to enjoy the best physics and FFB that this sim delivers.

Having revisited this game to try out the new Aston, I have to say, I am quite disappointed. Doesn't feel particularly sharp in the cockpit, car sounds appear to be wildly inaccurate and not best pleasing, and to really make things worse, there are a lot of inconsistencies with this car and it's overall graphics (in comparison to the quality of other cars).

Having said all of that, it felt pleasant to drive but the sound is just so underwhelming. Meh.

Very twitchy compared to the rest of the pack, TC near max to tame the beast

Wouldn't say so. TC to 0 and it almost doesn't matter how you push down the throttle. Didn't find it too different from how other cars are.

When you try ISI Camaro GT3 - thats twitchy. Perhaps even a bit too much.

I feel like S397 cars are more comfortable than car made under ISI management. Perhaps ISI cars are a bit over the top, perhaps too sensitive, also too easy to get flatspots, perhaps S397 cars are too much cured in terms of these unpleasant and difficult characteristics ?

Overall they are pretty awesome, really waiting for some online stuff in rF2.

who can know how the internal sound of the car is, there is not a single video, just the external sound which yes is not compliant!
but for me the most disappointing yes is the "amateurism" of modeling really disappointing... must have the same quality as the McLaren 570s!!!
I'm sure Marcel will answer it!

I am confused also,
because if someone passed me that car to release I would have simply refused it,

and looking at the screenshots posted, personally my opinion is taking away the issues of the actual look of the Aston GT3,
they have simply not even captured the car itself, looking at this real picture there is so much details and hard edges specially at the front and the bonnet the lines are so sharp,
yes they maybe struggling with low geometry smoothing but simply leave hard edges with smoothing groups than destroy the entire car like it looks ingame currently,

when making these things the cars, some of the most finer details like wheels and mirrors and stuff,
end up quite high geometry, but from experience looking over the main issues with the car,
to make it pin sharp and nicer edges end up another 2-3000 triangles at best just tidying over the mess left,

Studio 397 are doing a stella job with RF2 no one here can deny the sheer level of work they have achieved in such a short period of time, but the guy passing these cars wants a word with,
because at this level in this business and looking at what the competition around them is doing,

at least 3-4 cars have ended up like this in the last 12 months alone, so only can presume its the same guy making these particular cars, and maybe the lack of CAD data from some manufactureres can cause these issues also, some give it some dont,

what slightly bothers me when I think about it, but its not often at best anyways,
is everyone can see these issues, obviously someone is reading the comments they are very open with the community and always have been,

because AC/ACC/SMS/RR/ and iRacing all dishing out currently insane content and updates,

they couldnt even get the stripes correct down the side, I seen mods with more accurate paints than these, official content with wrong liveries that dont match the real cars.

Nice analysis and yes when you see the comparison between the two the differences are quite amazing.

Some things go through my mind about this.

Is this maybe designs of the pre-production/concept/mock up that Aston have given to S397 maybe? There were CG mockups that I saw online some time ago (although admittedly they could have been the GTE car). Would kind of make sense with the lack of detail. It is really odd though that things like the front bumper lights are not there, every Google image I can find show lights in this location for the GT3.

Secondly, assuming this is an agreement with Aston and they saw the final render, I'm amazed they would have let it through as a releasable product.

I'm not bashing S397 as it's really nice to have it in the title (and the general proportions, and shapes are great) but the details differences are odd to say the least.

With regards to sound, the GT3 spec of the Vantage hasn't raced that much yet (maybe one race?) so not sure how easy sound samples are to come by at the moment, so maybe an update later on would be planned.

I am confused also,

Dude this is the real car, not the one in these old promo pics
Cattura-1.png

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling