rF2: Aston Martin Vantage GT3 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Aston Martin Vantage GT3 2.jpg

Studio 397 have released the final car of the brand new GT3 Challengers DLC for rFactor 2 - welcome the Aston Martin Vantage GT3..

Joining the previously released Porsche 911 GT3 R, McLaren 720s, Audi R8 LMS and BMW M6 GT3 that formed the initial offering of the 'GT3 Challengers' DLC, Aston Martin have now finally given final permissions to allow Studio 397 to deploy the fifth and final car of the new pack - the world's first sim racing release of the brand new Aston Martin Vantage GT3!

Available immediately for those who have purchased the 'GT3 Challengers' DLC for rFactor 2, this new Aston represents both a welcome inclusion of the Aston Martin brand to the title, and a very first appearance for the new Vantage GT3 within a sim racing game.. not bad going is it?!

As well as the new Aston Martin, a small hotfix has been released by Studio 397 for the McLaren 720s already released as part of the DLC, the details of which can be seen below:

• Fixed an issue that caused a texture conflict with the Bentley GT3
  • Added missing steering column (mostly visible in VR)

The new car is available to download via Steam now.

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

rF2 Aston Martin Vantage GT3 1.jpg
rF2 Aston Martin Vantage GT3 4.jpg
rF2 Aston Martin Vantage GT3 3.jpg

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Depends if its the sprint or enduro spec they are aiming to replicate. Sprint will be without lights, enduro with.
For example in ACC we are doing both, depending on which race you are joining.

That's fair enough. I had wondered that as I was typing it but the car is still pretty new and there are not a huge amount of images for it yet so my mistake. Thanks for confirming.

I am confused also,
because if someone passed me that car to release I would have simply refused it,

comparing this very 1st photo I found online,
and looking at the screenshots posted, personally my opinion is taking away the issues of the actual look of the Aston GT3,
they have simply not even captured the car itself, looking at this real picture there is so much details and hard edges specially at the front and the bonnet the lines are so sharp,
yes they maybe struggling with low geometry smoothing but simply leave hard edges with smoothing groups than destroy the entire car like it looks ingame currently,

when making these things the cars, some of the most finer details like wheels and mirrors and stuff,
end up quite high geometry, but from experience looking over the main issues with the car,
to make it pin sharp and nicer edges end up another 2-3000 triangles at best just tidying over the mess left,

Studio 397 are doing a stella job with RF2 no one here can deny the sheer level of work they have achieved in such a short period of time, but the guy passing these cars wants a word with,
because at this level in this business and looking at what the competition around them is doing,
its simply just not acceptable making silly mistakes like this,

at least 3-4 cars have ended up like this in the last 12 months alone, so only can presume its the same guy making these particular cars, and maybe the lack of CAD data from some manufactureres can cause these issues also, some give it some dont,
some give high quality CAD some give boxes 20k tri its mixed we all know this,

what slightly bothers me when I think about it, but its not often at best anyways,
is everyone can see these issues, obviously someone is reading the comments they are very open with the community and always have been,

but why not simply update the bad cars ?
its just a shame to see them left like this,
because AC/ACC/SMS/RR/ and iRacing all dishing out currently insane content and updates,
the only issues here I can see the cars are left like trash, but again why ?
10762b7335229acffe5efb8144b29053.png

Aston-Martin-GT3-Vantage-test-1.jpg

2b9fd2ff8338d05a510d8629e5481038.png

look at the sills on the floor lower down, headlights on the front bumper,
tailpipes missing coming out the wheel arches, no fuel filler ?
must be 20 differences here at 1st glance,
92204bcb857c133db9eb9730b115d763.png

they couldnt even get the stripes correct down the side, I seen mods with more accurate paints than these, official content with wrong liveries that dont match the real cars.

just compare this 1 single aspect then multiply this across the entire car,
like whats going on here sweet jesus.
3d825e025ec4ee88d6c94bb936ce42d1.png

e80b8aa6fdfb183bfd1996982044fc39.png

659571b3c82f3156e4bb7118bb766f9f.png
Wow I am glad I did not purchase this DLC that model is pretty bad I mean the body around the rear of the filler cap is in correct as well, And that paint well it's just bad all around.

Is this maybe designs of the pre-production/concept/mock up that Aston have given to S397 maybe? There were CG mockups that I saw online some time ago (although admittedly they could have been the GTE car).

It's not that, because the Mercedes GT3 suffers from similar modeling issues as this Aston. Both cars were probably made by the same freelancer.

I'm sure Marcel will answer it!
He won't.

This is the answer of Christopher Elliot (Studio397 )from the official forum of rfactor2.
“We use very accurate data to model, and that is what we go by. Don't just take what someone says as true just because they say it ;)
If we do find any bugs we do and will fix them.

This is the answer of Christopher Elliot (Studio397 )from the official forum of rfactor2.
“We use very accurate data to model, and that is what we go by. Don't just take what someone says as true just because they say it ;)
If we do find any bugs we do and will fix them.
I never noticed the Mercedes AMG GT3 updated that as bug wrote allover it, or did I miss something.

"Don't just take what someone says as true just because they say it"
exactly!

Disclaimer: i'm not dissing anyone's work or anything but...
1. if they have cad data there are certain steps that need to be done in order for a parametric model to be used in realtime 3d apps (e.g: games). You cant just export/import the model from one app to another.
2. If its a freelance job they should check the 3d model before paying for it.

I bought the pack when it was launched and at that price point i cannot complain very much but i feel like i am paying for a mod.

Also, some suggested that its more about the physics and the feel of the car, but if that's the case we would all still be playing gtr2...

Last edited:
It's on the opposite side.

rf2-aston-martin-vantage-gt3-3-jpg.285509
Yeah gathered that much, I know the gt3 huracan in AC got released with no fuel filler and got updated,
these things do happen occasionally,
despite things been there, despite things not been there, lights, ect ect,
different versions aero packages, yes may explain some things that are missing.
like all the small markings and TOW hooks ect ect

it does not explain the shocking smoothing plastered allover the 3dmodel which was my very first comment,

I mentioned when the Mclaren was released a few weeks back, that car looks absolutely stunning,
the modelling is lovely, sadly this one is trash well to me it is anyways,
basically looks like crap, agree or disagree makes not much difference here,

there is only 1 issue here keep happening and its inconsistency nothing else. :)

there is only 1 issue here keep happening and its inconsistency nothing else. :)
Yep thats it.
If all rf2 cars were the same visual level as that Aston, I would have no complaints. You would assume that its because of their performance targets etc and accept it as part of the experience.
But cars like the Mclaren put to bed that theory - rf2 is perfectly capable of hosting high quality models, hence the wide array of quality being so concerning.

Especially considering these are both brand new cars - not like say the old 2014 Kunos models compared to 2016, the whole situation was different, performance budgets evolved over that period of time.
I'd be pretty surprised if they halved the tri-count budget in the space of 2 weeks lol

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 139 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 142 13.8%