PC3 Project CARS 3 | New Game Announced For Summer 2020 Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Slightly Mad Studios have dropped their first reveal trailer for Project CARS 3 - also confirming the game will be available on console and PC this summer.

With two and a half years having passed since Project CARS 2 hit the public stores back in September 2017, Slightly Mad Studios have undergone quite a bit of change, having teamed up with Codemasters and announced their Fast and Furious arcade racer.

Well, the team are back again this year it seems, with the third instalment of the Project CARS franchise due to drop in just a few short months.

Not much is known about the new game at this stage, however the announcement trailer and tweet do suggest maybe a more street car focus for the new title, which is an interesting change of direction from the first two instalments in the franchise.

Stay tuned for more information as and when it becomes available.

Project CARS 3 will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC this summer.

Stay tuned for the upcoming Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment - a great place to discuss this interesting new title with fellow simulation fans.

PCARS 3 1.jpg

maybe there is still some hope, i just dont understand why they chose to make the trailer look like an arcade game.

from Nathan bell on pcars forums.
We've made the game more accessible to newcomers. That doesn't mean we've dumbed it down for seasoned-vetts like yourselves. Project CARS 3 is fully customizable, so you can set it up whichever way you prefer, to get your preferred experience. Our underlying physics haven't changed, our tyre model hasn't changed. Not negatively anyway, they've gotten better. Rest assured, you guys have nothing to worry about. Speak to you all soon.

Bwoah... What a useless looking piece of .... (sorry) But, why even waste time for doing something like this? It might be couple of months in use somehow and it disappears, and then? Same again and again and again... And now it is just like some NFS or Fortsa firtsa furtsa blaablaablaa. Just like the upcoming Dirt after ditching 2.0.. Omg. They have so good chance to make something really good things with a bit of try, but no.. Money crab after another. Just like stuff from stores today, made in china, use once and then dump it.

Not what I was hoping for, but we'll see how it turns out. I've been playing PC2 a lot lately, I never played PC1, and only started PC2 a month or two ago. Mostly doing career mode, and my feelings towards it range from "Great" to "OK" to "I hate this and wish I'd never bought it". Great selection of cars and tracks, and they're mostly very good. I like the career ladder progression and the choices within, Day/night transitions are excellent as are the weather effects... except when they enrage me. This should have been titled "Project Rain 2". It feels like literally half or more of all the sessions have some level of rain (or even snow!), and the devs just wanted to show over and over again how good their weather engine is. I am fine with the track being slicker and needing to find a wet line - but the puddle physics are ridiculous. Yes, I know hydroplaning is a real thing, but this is like Mario Kart when you hit a banana peel or oil slick. I hit a puddle in a slow corner at Road America and spun so violently I thought maybe weapons had become available and I had been hit with a missile. Also, as far as I can tell, AI aren't affected - they just plow through them while I get literally thrown off the track into the wall. It's visually very impressive, but infuriating to drive through and way too frequent. Finally, the AI are "OK" at best and often much less.

Anyway, back on topic for PC3. This looks to me like they are going for a classic "Gran Turismo" mixed with Need For Speed kind of thing. I haven't played an NFS title since the late 90's, but I enjoyed GT for what it was and the car upgrading/customization could be fun. I hope the Corvette C8 and C8.R aren't going to be exclusive to this, I'm a Corvette fanatic and don't want this to be my only choice. Really hoping S397 can get the license for RF2.

Yes, the rain...
Thought the same thing until I started driving the LMP2s. At least to me rain is now a blessing as in general AI seems to be affected a lot more than me. So I conclude that rain and AI is a problem. It just depends on the car class, who has the actual problem - you or the AI:)

I can dig a move to street cars and have a more GT, Forza vibe. Hopefully that combined with some Reiza kickback will mean something approaching a sim for road cars. I've always loved GT and to extent Forza but they aren't 'sims'. Maybe this can be the one, road cars and sim handling. Just about every other sim is based on race cars so there is a hole in the market.

I can’t seem to find any reference of this title using the madness engine? The trailer, website, literature etc don’t mention it and the graphics, asserts etc look suspiciously like grid?
According to this preview, it's stll using their own Madness engine,
“Codemasters have their own engine and we have our own engine. It’s a bit like Unity and Unreal, say; you can’t take stuff from Unreal and stick it directly into Unity, and we’re the same sort of thing. We’ve got a mature tech stack we’ve been working on for 10, 15 years, same as Codemasters. So although they’re throwing around similar things, which are our version of a track and their version of a track, we can’t just suck one out and pop it into the other one.

Reading the below text gives me the impression that maybe they're not going for the whole arcade genre based on yesterday's gameplay.

Project CARS 3 will feature a completely new career mode for the series, rebuilt from scratch. It’s pitched as a curated experience, taking players through 10 car classes and introducing upgrades and unique visual customisation options to the series for the first time. That said, the team was quick to stress this new approach to career mode hasn’t come at the expense of the series’ deep racing toolbox.
We haven’t forgotten about what got us to this point and the people that supported us up to this point

“In the custom event mode all the cars and tracks are available straight away in that mode,” added Joe Barron, marketing and esports manager for Project CARS 3. “So if you’re more on the hardcore end of the scale and the first thing you want to do is turn every assist off and go and race in a thunderstorm in the middle of the night in your prototype or something like that, you don’t have to play through hours of career mode to get there if you want to jump straight into a custom event.”

“And likewise in multiplayer as well; everything is available straight away in multiplayer. The difference is, in the multiplayer side of things, if you don’t own the right car for a specific multiplayer event you can borrow one from the game for that multiplayer event. The only difference there is that you can’t customise or upgrade your car if you’re borrowing it for a one-off event, whereas if it’s in your garage you can do all the tweaking.”

https://www.ign.com/articles/projec...democratic-welcoming-supportive?sf123522071=1

So my take is on how awful the trailer looks and how I can't believe they allowed that press footage to be the only footage available...... but......

The hot takes on here are still somewhat OTT. Does it look like a high-budget Grid from that gameplay? Yes. Is it likely they've thrown away all that was good about PCARS 2 to do it? No.

See what else comes out - it's a terrible first impression, but people saying "well I'm not buying it" after seeing one terrible build, you may as well wait a few months until there's more info about it..., no?

Bwoah... What a useless looking piece of .... (sorry) But, why even waste time for doing something like this? It might be couple of months in use somehow and it disappears, and then? Same again and again and again... And now it is just like some NFS or Fortsa firtsa furtsa blaablaablaa. Just like the upcoming Dirt after ditching 2.0.. Omg. They have so good chance to make something really good things with a bit of try, but no.. Money crab after another. Just like stuff from stores today, made in china, use once and then dump it.

For the record, Codemasters have split the Dirt team into two and will alternate releases of Dirt Rally and Dirt (the ones with numbers) - they've not 'ditched 2.0' per se.

And that's the team who will be working on the WRC content from 2023>

This is a real shame for me.

I'm in the enjoyment camp when it comes to Project Cars 1 and 2.

They were far from perfect from a physics and sim perspective but they offered good enjoyment and the immersion was brilliant.

More Sim-Cade than Sim but stil good enough for me.

I enjoy endurance racing; and the sunrises, weather, and so on was great on this sim. Daytona 24 hour cycle was just beautiful. Group C Cars, big field of cars, perfect.

So I'm disappointed that they've teamed up with Codemasters and developed what essentially looks like a NFS clone.

As mentioned by others why call it Project Cars 3? It's so removed from the original concept of the series it doesn't make sense.

Will be interesting to see what the reviews will be like.

I enjoy endurance racing; and the sunrises, weather, and so on was great on this sim. Daytona 24 hour cycle was just beautiful. Group C Cars, big field of cars, perfect.

Bit OT but try the new AC Daytona mod track + Sol. I was quite impressed. (Ok AC is probably not the best for "endurance" but visually it was pretty cool).

On topic: skeptical about this as well but if there are cool crash physics + animations combined with madness physics that's enough for me to at least buy/try.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.