Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

Tomo not selling SC2 anymore? He removed all the wheelbase products from his site and has a bannerhead on his site that says "Exclusive partner with Simucube from 2019 to 2020". It wasn't there before...

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Well, it caught me too.
Racewerks from whom i bought the SC2pro is about an hours drive from me.
Whats your opinion?
Fix it myself or drive there and let them do it?

On the one hand I´d like to make them repair it because it´s theyr problem, on the other hand I don´t want to be without my SC2 for weeks, so mailing it to them is out of the question.
Simdriving/racing is the only thing that has kept me sane for the last year, been on volontary and mandatory lockdown for most of that time.

MFG Carsten
If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself, calling them is the best. To my knowledge resellers are not authorized to perform repairs on their own so you may end up without wheelbase while it's out to GD for service.
Interesting news on Tomo's shop. Guess regional dealers spoke up.

Upvote 0
Do you know why he is not selling SC2 anymore ?
Simucube also removed him from their authorized resellers list. I don’t want to make assumptions.
I’m sure if someone emailed him, he might say.
I hope sellers in North America like DSD didn’t complain because American shoppers preferred ordering from SRB than them.
I don’t like to assume the worst of people and it doesn’t seem like something Derek Speare would do.

Upvote 0
Hi Ted
most of the people i know ordered the SC2 from SRB me included As his service was always GREAT and fast shipping
I hope SRB is re authorized to sell SC2 as i think he sold more SC2 than any other reseller
Regards Denis

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Looks like Tomo may try to focus more on in house developed Simucube related products, like wheels, may be even pedals. Not sure what "partnership" with GD means though.
From his front page
References:
– No.1 provider of OSW MIGE DD systems in 2015-2016
– No.1 global provider of Simucube 1 systems from 2016 to 2019
– Main distributor of Simucube 2 systems in 2019 and 2020
Dedicated to in house production of Simucube 2 related products in 2020-2021
Official partner of Granite Devices 2021

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Maybe because he's now a partner, he can't sell SC2 directly?
Honestly, his BB Ultra is one of the most compelling SC2 related products of 2020. He was the only vendor trying to create an affordable button plate. And the soldering/electronics work on it is top notch.

Maybe he's going to work on the button module V2 with them?

Upvote 0
Looks like Tomo may try to focus more on in house developed Simucube related products, like wheels, may be even pedals. Not sure what "partnership" with GD means though.
From his front page
Looks like you were right:
https://www.simracingbay.com/special-notice/

He's going to focus on being a wheel manufacturer. I expect we'll see some new wheels from Tomo this year. Maybe even an enhancement to the accessory port.

Upvote 0
I am having the toughest time deciding which direction to go on my next rig.

I had a SC2 Pro on my previous rig that i had to give up last summer, and i am now oscillating daily between choosing the Playstation compatible Podium and the SC2 again.

I'm someone that sim hops a lot and likes to play less serious/sweaty sims, which puts some serious points in the fanatec's favor, I also want to eventually play GT7. However choosing that would then lock me into a fanatec environment which means less options for pedals/accessories.

On the other hand I know from experience that the SC2's FFB in some sims is about as good as it gets. The motor is better, the chips are better, the software is better. The real question is, for me, in which sims is it the better option? I know that in iracing the SC2 is going to be the top performer, but what about messing around in DIRT? Or doing a meme season in an F1 game? Or going back to AMS1 and driving goofy cars.

I just don't know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wish someone on this forum would cover the current situation on how its possible to play PS4/PS5 "GT" on non-offifical hardware via PC. I know that some options existed previously but not sure what works also on PS5 and what works best.

Can't say I have ever seen a video covering a wheel like the Simucube Vs Fanatec DD but from the perspective of using "GT SPORT" on it.

Maybe something for Will at Boosted Media to do?

Some will want the official Playstation support but Fanatec's current single offering is too expensive or not everyone wants to be locked into the DD1 and formula rim. Maybe that's a current licensing issue than a technical one though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wish someone on this forum would cover the current situation on how its possible to play PS4/PS5 "GT" on non-offifical hardware via PC. I know that some options existed previously but not sure what works also on PS5 and what works best.

I think by far the best option going forward is the official support that fanatec can offer. This is purely for PS5/PS4. I just don't think something like GIMX emulating different wheel is ever going to provide a fulfilling experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Simucube 2 have some DirectInput comunication problems related to DirectInput effects like DI Spring being too soft or under scaled, does not have any centering spring force ingame (fake Desktop spring only), some force effects are not created like FE_right but FE_left is working as It should...

I Know all of this because AM2emulator works like a charm with my SC2 being a fake G27/GIMX but not being an OG SC2.
With G27 software you can activate Centering Spring forces and let the Game decide when to use that Spring force. It is common to be used in old games and arcade ones, like ETS, TDU, F1 series, and all not so sim related games.

My relationship with the SC2 is a bittersweet story, and looks like Granite Devices are not hearing my conerns

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Simucube 2 have some DirectInput comunication problems related to DirectInput effects like DI Spring being too soft or under scaled, does not have any centering spring force ingame (fake Desktop spring only), some force effects are not created like FE_right but FE_left is working as It should...

I Know all of this because AM2emulator works like a charm with my SC2 being a fake G27/GIMX but not being an OG SC2.
With G27 software you can activate Centering Spring forces and let the Game decide when to use that Spring force. It is common to be used in old games and arcade ones, like ETS, TDU, F1 series, and all not so sim related games.

My relationship with the SC2 is a bittersweet story, and looks like Granite Devices are not hearing my conerns

I second this.
While the hardware is great, it seems the team working on the software is not truly interested in listening to the users on what they need/want, but rather focus on what they believe is best for business & features.
For now this means development of online features, that while can become great seems to be hindering dev of any other filter work. Also what used to be a very simple & easy to use TrueDrive software is, at least for now, as weird hybrid that does not sit well anywhere and has bugs everywhere.
Bugs used to be mostly in the fanatec driver camp, but for now it's the same for the SC2 software.

Also the weird politics on "premium features" for the Ultimate version muddies the water for me. Be aware of this before you buy & check that you will not need the "gamma filter", for example, as I think you get that with some of the other, cheaper options.

I am not so biased against my SC2 as I have been earlier, bittersweet is def. the right word for me as well. If I had to buy a DD wheel from scratch now, I honestly don't know what I would buy. Prob. it's best to wait just 6 months or so more as I am sure the DD landscape is ripe for a slide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Same here, I am much less enthusiastic about future of SC2 now with all these misguided efforts to bring everyone online.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Just don't update then. No need to be on the forefront of beat-testers. ;)
As long as they don't force me to, they can keep their online feature. :whistling:
Wasn't planning to.
But if new features like long promised improved Recon filter (if that ever happens) are introduces in online only version, it will be difficult choice not to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Same here, I am much less enthusiastic about future of SC2 now with all these misguided efforts to bring everyone online.

My point of view about online feature and older telemetry data adquisition:

GD knows all about servos and how to control them, but not so well about games and O.S.
GD needs to collect as much info as possible, as soon as possible, to compete with other systems in the market so they are trying very hard to achieve his goal.

The other companies have been making gaming steering wheels for 20 years and have grown alongside the gaming scene.
Game developers know how to run a Logitech steering wheel.

If I were an important person at Granite Devices, my first step would be to do the same as the reference company, but better.

Upvote 0
For those of you curious about the current situation regarding non PS licensed wheels on PS, I can answer that question:
Very bleak.
GIMX isn't compatible with PS5 at all and will take time for the maker to update the software because he hasn't gotten a hold of a PS5 yet, lol.

Regarding DriveHub, the only DD compatible with DriveHub is Fanatec direct drives. OSW, Simucube and such are not compatible.
HE Sprint pedals and some hydraulic pedals are still supported by DriveHub. Using DriveHub with PS5 requires some work, it doesn't work out of box, there needs to be an older controller connected and it disconnects after some time, requiring you to reconnect/restart the controller. It's not ideal.

Regarding Podium F1 vs SC2, here's my position:
I plan to buy Podium F1 after taking care of other stuff, but I fully acknowledge that there are RMA/quality related risks and that for iRacing I probably won't find it to be as smooth as the SC2 was. I am sacrificing the ability to use non Fanatec brand wheels cheaply, and sacrificing build quality, to get a DD that's compatible with PS5.
But I also share the sentiment of others here that I didn't feel confident about the SC2's future after recent changes of the development team. As a result, due to my lack of time at the moment to use it until other products are released, I sold my SC2 Pro.

If I were to buy one now, I would search for a used R1. I don't want to use/trust the R2 engineering personally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Yearly

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly at lan events

• Yearly at lan events