Pacific Coast

Tracks Pacific Coast 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
It looks 15 times better than the previous version.
Thanks :) I was aiming for x50 better, so more work required.... Although the sense of speed has gone up quite a lot... so maybe when you see it moving at 100mph that may equal x50 :D

This is one of my absolute favorite tracks for AC and it's awesome to see you working on making it even better! Also, love that you're keeping the Test Drive 1/2 style gas stations, as they're a huge nostalgia factor for me!
Thanks, yeah Test Drive 1 & 2 was a part of the influence for choosing to make this coast road.
I'd say more the 1st Test Drive, shame there's no radar/speeding ticket app... or police to chase you :D

Looks like a whole new track now, amazing!

Ah yes, that subtle different grip on the middle yellow line, loved that small detail back then.

I hope you will find some time to play when it's done, like old good days!
Thanks mate, pretty much everything has/will be replaced, so it will effectively be a 2.0
I don't think (been a long time) I managed to split the track mesh in the current version, so the different surfaces should be new. Physical cats eyes certainly will be :)

Unfortunately I can't do cats eyes for LA Canyons, as they're sunk into the road surface, and that would require an immense amount of cuts in the visual roads, upping the poly count too much.

Thanks yeah will be good to do some proper cruising/racing... Although my lack of driving will possibly have affected my speed... Might take me a while to get a GT3 RS along here in around 9 mins again :D

This would be easy to make, if there is an AI line present. Not a bad idea :D
To make it server-side is a bit more difficult :p
That could be awesome, although even if it's not possible, I'm sure people can create a few scenarios :)
I already have an idea for a pursuit layout. (I won't be doing 16 layouts again though!)

Could be even more fun having access to some great police cruisers... Crown Vics / Mustangs maybe.
Although even if there was just a way to add skins / bull bars / light bars to Kunos' free cars, that could be fun :) (Huracan, Giulia, Mustang, Levante etc)
There is a need for these, as the canyons probably needs policing... No one sticks to my speed limit signs for example :D

I suppose time will tell :)

We had so much police chases on LFS cruise servers, I can see this happening on AC too :D

Just to clarify, my "easy to make" was aimed at the speeding app, not police cars chasing :whistling:
Yeah I can totally see the fun that was had on LFS cruise servers...
Well I did think this would have happened on AC too... The reason I made the pursuit layouts, but over a year later, and haven't really seen many pursuit servers.

Ages ago, I did manage to escape in an Abarth 595 on a pursuit server, probably as it seemed the police disappeared down to La Cañada :D
But it was a tense, slow 15 mile drive to escape, as I removed the track map (no black dots)
Obviously it's not difficult to add the map back, but this is supposed to be a gentlemans agreement.

Yeah no worries, getting the police to chase is a bit basic, just put yourself in 1st place in a race...
But they won't try and take you out... well no more than the ordinary AI does :D

@Phoenix77 Good news: it seems that Ilja has made another "miracle" happen and has fixed the world "shaking" that one experiences on large tracks such as LA Canyons etc. when far away from the centre. For now this CSP beta is only available for its Patreon supporters and only in single player, but I think i will get it and cannot wait for it to be released for all, so I can finally enjoy even the farthest places in your tracks and.. well you will be able to make even larger ones!

Last edited:
@Phoenix77 Good news: it seems that Ilja has made another "miracle" happen and has fixed the world "shaking" that one experiences on large tracks such as LA Canyons etc. when far away from the centre. For now this CSP beta is only available for its Patreon supporters and only in single player, but I think i will get it and cannot wait for it to be released for all, so I can finally enjoy even the farthest places in your tracks and.. well you will be able to make even larger ones!
That's awesome Guido, thanks for letting me know mate... even larger ones? What a little bit like this?
115mb_of_centrelines.jpg

watch Ben panic :D... much less trees though ;)

:unsure:
* Cry in 3d *
lol You know you like a challenge ;)

That's awesome Guido, thanks for letting me know mate... even larger ones? What a little bit like this?
View attachment 457576
watch Ben panic :D... much less trees though ;)

lol You know you like a challenge ;)
SOMEHOW x4fab made map position a double float, which (i think) uses 64bit instead of the pre existing 32 bit numbers for positions. Im not sure how much this improves map sizes. Do also keep in mind AC HATES huge terrains for performance, maps like LAC and SRP took a crap ton of optimization and even then they are the heaviest maps to run, but in theory, yes, if you had a supercomputer with a pixar-tier graphics card running on SLIx4 3090s you would be able to have the entirety of LA simulated in a map.

SOMEHOW x4fab made map position a double float, which (i think) uses 64bit instead of the pre existing 32 bit numbers for positions. Im not sure how much this improves map sizes. Do also keep in mind AC HATES huge terrains for performance, maps like LAC and SRP took a crap ton of optimization and even then they are the heaviest maps to run, but in theory, yes, if you had a supercomputer with a pixar-tier graphics card running on SLIx4 3090s you would be able to have the entirety of LA simulated in a map.
that 64bit improvement is a nice tweak but that's it
the game engine resides on an old base.

When there will be built-in tools such as instancing and scattering, then we can talk

When there will be built-in tools such as instancing and scattering, then we can talk
Oh, im aware. There's only so much that can be done. Besides i dont think AC even has LOD for the tracks, so the circuits are always loaded at 100% detail. This would make super huge tracks a nightmare for computers.

Oh, im aware. There's only so much that can be done. Besides i dont think AC even has LOD for the tracks, so the circuits are always loaded at 100% detail. This would make super huge tracks a nightmare for computers.
there's LOD
you need to manually set all distance of loading, but there is

all boulders, trees, bushes, cars etc. are disappearing in the distance in LAC ;)

Yeah I wouldn't go much larger than LA Canyons extents anyway, unless there are firm facts that limits have been extended. But then again, before the canyons... over 100km of roads and 900km² of terrain seemed like a silly thing to attempt... 24Hr Day/Night with more than 1 light source (the sun) was thought impossible. I wouldn't go to to the entirety of LA... In fact it would likely be an adapted, based on a real city project, using a few tricks/illusions to simulate the feel of more.

The way I look at it is, there's already a lot in the poly budget without the need for a reasonably smooth (pretty driveable) approx 1 million polys of the canyons terrain. Instead using them on 'squarer' man made mountains/elements. Anyway it's more of a thought experiment for now.

Yeah I agree, until more is known, my extents won't be changing... much.
Anyway, other more important things take precedence.

there's LOD
you need to manually set all distance of loading, but there is

all boulders, trees, bushes, cars etc. are disappearing in the distance in LAC ;)
Yeah, including rails, signs, roads, and even where possible, some terrain tiles (not easy to find many suitable with 20km visibility in lots of locations)

At the end of the day, I think this is possible, and it can be big enough that finding your friends / pit box will be a real challenge! :D

Holy crap the update pics look incredible, can't wait for your update to PCH! In the meantime I went for a drive on v0.95 and the ocean was completely missing, any idea what could be causing that? I vaguely remember one of the updates to CSP had better water shading and I'm wondering if that's affecting it. Pic for reference:
Screenshot_gd_ruf_r_turbo_pacific_coast_10-3-121-18-14-40.jpg

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea