Opinions on R3E: What's yours?

This is fine for ppl happy to dry-lap. RRE has improved over time - but I'm in the, "this is an outdated platform now" club. Best way to vent my frustration = stop buying DLC. When S3 care enough to drag RRE into modern times, I'll restart support. I buy the DLC, yet hardly lap with it - makes zero sense. I'm fed up of dry lapping. it's a personal thing.

We had rain in sims many years ago, then it all went tits-up IMHO. YMMV of course, that's fine. Why were Microprose ahead of their time. How long have I supported this stale engine for now, jeez. I've been doing this for a great many number of years - too long (dry-lapping) tbh. Hence the frustration. Approaching my mid 50's, I'm going to be more selective about who I give my savings to. Free to play software isn't the future. Otherwise S3 would have taken RRE to a modern place already. RRE, feels like a pay-to-improve model to me. By that I mean, RRE just releases tweaks here and there, but the fundamental tech is missing. We own this sim software, but at a UK track, we can't create a cold/overcast/low grip/wet or even damp scenario.

Fair play to Kunos for gambling, and having the passion/balls enough to deliver what some of us long for. By that I mean, driving at differing times of the day, in low grip situations. I get that we all don't see this as the "be all" of simracing. We all have opinions about SMS. At least they could be bothered to create time of day/weather, and moved the genre along. S3 is holding back the only genre I purchase games from. I'm unhappy about this lol. RRE started to feel stale, years ago. Much like how people feel that Codemasters have stunted the growth of the F1 platform, in the many years they've had the licence. Like a huge number of you, I've sunk huge amounts into regularly supporting S3. I hope one day, that a scenario arrives where I look forward to booting the platform and using the content I've purchased.

I know SimBin UK supposedly works on a modern game engine, supporting time of day/weather. Both platforms will likely share the tech. For me, it long overdue. Sorry S3, this is the only genre I enjoy. You starved your own engine of the features I've wanted most for years. It can't get any more broken than it is. You'll get nothing more now, until you care enough to update your engine tech.

As I recall it they(devs) didnt promise anything.
There were some vague outpourings that could be interpreted as IF a future GTR3 used the UE engine THEN (maybe) a future Raceroom would also integrate this engine.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I hope my personal recall engine dont need an update.:sleep:

Enjoyed this sim for 2D flat screen racing...
All this changed when i experienced racing in VR... total game changer & cant go back to pancake racing. Compared to alternative sims (rfactor2, assetto corsa & the highway robbers iracing) find the VR experience mediocre at best.
Physics/ffb is ok and to be fair have had incremental improvements over time but still lacking compared to rfactor2 and assetto corsa.
Harbor hope that the graphic engine upgrade will eventually happen and that will improve the VR performance.. as long as it's not Unreal.

• Deleted member 197115

All this changed when i experienced racing in VR... total game changer & cant go back to pancake racing. Compared to alternative sims (rfactor2, assetto corsa & the highway robbers iracing) find the VR experience mediocre at best.
Physics/ffb is ok and to be fair have had incremental improvements over time but still lacking compared to rfactor2 and assetto corsa.
Harbor hope that the graphic engine upgrade will eventually happen and that will improve the VR performance.. as long as it's not Unreal.
Surprising feedback, I have found it better than other 3 in VR. The highest res textures and car models with crisp sharpness.
Perhaps boils down to system and settings it can handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
exactly. I can play in VR with my GTX1070 and ranked servers...really happy

I've found myself enjoying RaceRoom recently, here's a list of the things i like:

- Good selection of tracks and cars
- decent performance in VR, could be better in certain areas but overall it's just fine for me. Nice crisp image & smooth against AI and online.
- FFB is good, the level of detail through the wheel is decent although not quite up to my benchmark of RF2. I may revisit my settings one day but for now they're good enough, less time tweaking = more time racing!
- Multiplayer Ranking Beta is very good, thoroughly enjoying the races on the aforementioned wide variety of cars & tracks. There's always something I fancy racing.
- AI is decent but not raced them that much.

The things i don't like:
- No Cool Down lap is such an immersion killer at the end of a race, especially in VR, a very odd design choice and one i hope they rectify soon but can't see it happening.
- Dynamic Track is apparently working although I'm not sensing it that much, needs to be improved IMO if it is there!?!
- DLC is too cheap... :D honestly, a few quid for one car when it deserves so much more.

Overall it's a very good sim, I'm enjoying it and at the end of the day that's all that matters to me :)

Surprised feedback, I have found it better than other 3 in VR. The highest res textures and car models with crisp sharpness.
Perhaps boils down to system and settings it can handle.

Seems like i have wrong settings... Any suggestions/tips to improve the performance?
I have to set all in game options on low in order to maintain 90fps - which makes the game look bland - and even then still get frequent stutters (rtx 2080ti, i7 9700k & odyssey+).
I find clarity, sharpness & general performance significantly better in rfactor2, AC & iRacing as i can run those on mid/high settings and maintain 90fps... I'm no fan of unreal but even Dirt Rally 2 & ACC perform better.
Convinced this is a graphic engine limitation and will only improve when rrre upgrade to a modern engine (dx11).

• Deleted member 197115

Seems like i have wrong settings... Any suggestions/tips to improve the performance?
I have to set all in game options on low in order to maintain 90fps - which makes the game look bland - and even then still get frequent stutters (rtx 2080ti, i7 9700k & odyssey+).
I find clarity, sharpness & general performance significantly better in rfactor2, AC & iRacing as i can run those on mid/high settings and maintain 90fps... I'm no fan of unreal but even Dirt Rally 2 & ACC perform better.
Convinced this is a graphic engine limitation and will only improve when rrre upgrade to a modern engine (dx11).

You really have 2 options, Turn all the settings down to get 90fps and then turn up Super Sampling as much as possible.

Enable ASW is you have a Rift and let the software double the frames.

What are your specs and HMD? I find RaceRoom to be one fo the more forgiving sims and have everything set to high with 200% supersampling CPU has a 5Ghz overclock and GTX 1080.

RaceRoom cars and track is great, MP and Ranked MP sucks big time, most drivers they drive in destruction derby style.
SP is fantastic to do some training for iRacing.

also they discord channel is like iRacing forums full of fan boys :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back